Re: Kits and a Website

  • Glen Overby
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 31, 1969
      "Milt Cram" w8nue@... w8nue wrote:
      > Have you checked out the Files Section of the Austin QRP Yahoo Groups?

      > Look under K5JHF. John has graciously provided the source code for the
      > kits.

      I picked up the Si570 Controller and Frequency Generator Kit a while back, and
      it's a nice kit.

      The AQRP group requires group membership to access their Files Section. I
      don't live in Austin so I really don't have a reason to be on the AQRP list
      other than to get access to these files. Could I appeal to those designing
      the kits to put the source code in a location that doesn't require AQRP group
      access?

      Glen Overby, kc0iyt
    • Stelian Valceanu
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
        Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX
        Thanks

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
            Hello...

            please avoid using this DDS34 for a RXTX. Have a look at the output
            spectrum of this oscillator:

            http://softrock.raisdorf.org/images/80mx4.jpg

            This an example for a center frequeny of 14.600 MHz to operate on 80m
            around 3.650 MHz. In case of the receiver the various spurious signals
            are just your personal problem. But in case of transmitting you will
            be outside of the regulations regarding suprious signals and you will
            surely disturb other services and hams.

            73's Bodo, DJ9CS

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Stelian Valceanu <steli_hd@...> wrote:

            > I got this DDS on Ebay http://zao.jp/radio/dds34en/index_e.php
            > Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX
            > Thanks
          • eplerkeppler
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
              Kees,

              This is a very nice selection.

              I'm always amazed by your accomplishments.

              About the
              'The Logging Barometer/Thermometer Kit #3,'
              if it hasn't crossed your mind already, adding another mode for when
              you put it in an RC model aircraft to log maximum altitude would be nice.

              Something where you put it into altimeter mode and then it zero's on
              the ground then you fly and when you land and can show what your
              altitude data points are ... average, max, etc.. in (feet/meters).
              Or, if nothing else I guess you can just dump the data to your laptop
              and crunch on the raw numbers there.

              And then again, obviously it will probably do fine 'as is' to take the
              altitude measurements as just pressures.

              -- Charles WC5MC

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:

              > I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
              earlier. I'm open to comments. You can search on "K5BCQ", "K5BCQ
              Homepage" and go to the last item .....or just click on
              > http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html
              > 73 Kees K5BCQ

            • Mark J. Dulcey
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                ad9850 wrote:

                > please avoid using this DDS34 for a RXTX. Have a look at the output
                > spectrum of this oscillator:
                >
                > http://softrock.raisdorf.org/images/80mx4.jpg
                > <http://softrock.raisdorf.org/images/80mx4.jpg>
                >
                > This an example for a center frequeny of 14.600 MHz to operate on 80m
                > around 3.650 MHz. In case of the receiver the various spurious signals
                > are just your personal problem. But in case of transmitting you will
                > be outside of the regulations regarding suprious signals and you will
                > surely disturb other services and hams.

                It might be possible to use that DDS with careful selection of output
                frequencies (DDS spurs are highly dependent on that, and some choices
                are MUCH worse than others), but that would require the use of a
                spectrum analyzer to study its output. Output filtering would also help,
                as the really bad spurs in the example are well away from the center
                frequency. That said, it would be a lot easier to use an Si570-based
                frequency source instead.
              • Stelian Valceanu
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Well I don't know to much aobut this Si 570, how is generating the needed freq, it is a DDS or what?
                  This DDS has the feature that is USB and can be used to continuus tune the freq.
                  With

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Thanks for your response, sounds really professional advice.
                    it means that I still can use it, and as I see and you mention it, pretty much, the DDS has the spur far from the center freq. as all DDS's
                    But I am curios about this new freq. generator with Si570 and I will do some research on it.
                    AE6OR

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Guys, I made a GPS tracker the size of a HITEC dual conv RX and is transmiting speed, elevation, and coordinations, at 1sec interval(adjustabile). It si very simple, has a 300mw transmiter and a small lipo battery last forewer. Let me know if intrested, will send you pictures and more info....
                      AE6OR

                      I'm always amazed by your accomplishments.

                      About the
                      'The Logging Barometer/Thermomet er Kit #3,'
                      if it hasn't crossed your mind already, adding another mode for when
                      you put it in an RC model aircraft to log maximum altitude would be nice.

                      Something where you put it into altimeter mode and then it zero's on
                      the ground then you fly and when you land and can show what your
                      altitude data points are ... average, max, etc.. in (feet/meters) .
                      Or, if nothing else I guess you can just dump the data to your laptop
                      and crunch on the raw numbers there.

                      And then again, obviously it will probably do fine 'as is' to take the
                      altitude measurements as just pressures.

                      -- Charles WC5MC

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@ ...> wrote:

                      > I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
                      earlier. I'm open to comments. You can search on "K5BCQ", "K5BCQ
                      Homepage" and go to the last item .....or just click on
                      > http://www.qsl. net/k5bcq/ Kits/Kits. html
                      > 73 Kees K5BCQ

                    • Michael Shiloh
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Along the same lines, have you considered making the microcontroller
                        source code available, so that modifications like the one suggested
                        below can be done?

                        eplerkeppler wrote:

                        > Kees,
                        >
                        > This is a very nice selection.
                        >
                        > I'm always amazed by your accomplishments.
                        >
                        > About the
                        > 'The Logging Barometer/Thermomet er Kit #3,'
                        > if it hasn't crossed your mind already, adding another mode for when
                        > you put it in an RC model aircraft to log maximum altitude would be nice.
                        >
                        > Something where you put it into altimeter mode and then it zero's on
                        > the ground then you fly and when you land and can show what your
                        > altitude data points are ... average, max, etc.. in (feet/meters) .
                        > Or, if nothing else I guess you can just dump the data to your laptop
                        > and crunch on the raw numbers there.
                        >
                        > And then again, obviously it will probably do fine 'as is' to take the
                        > altitude measurements as just pressures.
                        >
                        > -- Charles WC5MC
                        >
                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                        > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@ ...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
                        > earlier. I'm open to comments. You can search on "K5BCQ", "K5BCQ
                        > Homepage" and go to the last item .....or just click on
                        > > http://www.qsl net/k5bcq/ Kits/Kits. html
                        > <http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html>
                        > > 73 Kees K5BCQ

                      • Milt Cram
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Michael Shiloh wrote:
                          > Along the same lines, have you considered making the microcontroller
                          > source code available, so that modifications like the one suggested
                          > below can be done?

                          Hi Michael,

                          Have you checked out the Files Section of the Austin QRP Yahoo Groups?

                          Look under K5JHF. John has graciously provided the source code for the
                          kits.

                          73, Milt
                          W8NUE
                          AQRP
                        • Michael Shiloh
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                            Glad to hear that.

                            Unfortunately for those of us who receive this mailing list in email
                            (rather than visiting the Yahoo groups forum) accessing those files is
                            not possible without registering a Yahoo ID.

                            Michael
                            KA6RCQ

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  Well, seems to me that it is also a DDS, perhaps it is one with much cleaner output, and maybe they could use it in the high end top dollar transceivers....

                                  >Well I don't know to much aobut this Si 570, how is generating the needed
                                  >freq, it is a DDS or what?
                                  This DDS has the feature that is USB and can be used to continuus tune the
                                  freq.

                                  The USB controlled Si570 is a feature of current Softrocks. Look at
                                  http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/
                                  It is a crystal oscillator combined with multipliers and divisors to produce
                                  a clean signal that can be tuned in less than 1Hz steps. All in one small
                                  package.

                                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                • k5nwa
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                    At 05:26 PM 2/2/2009, you wrote:
                                    >Well, seems to me that it is also a DDS, perhaps it is one with much
                                    >cleaner output, and maybe they could use it in the high end top
                                    >dollar transceivers....

                                    Look at the block diagram of a DDS and then look at the block diagram
                                    and you will see that they are not the same.

                                    DDS ie; AD98XX a hybrid solution to generating a stable clock

                                    * High frequency Reference clock, the output in order to be
                                    reasonably clean can't approach the clock source due to Nyqist
                                    issues, output typically limited to 1/3 reference clock.
                                    * programmable divider whose output triggers a fractional addition
                                    * fractional adder every clock from the divide adds the fraction
                                    that controls the frequency to a large accumulator
                                    * The upper bits of the accumulator are feed through a sine
                                    lookup table into a D/A converter
                                    * The D/A output is filtered and is used as the output

                                    Pros:
                                    Very fine frequency control
                                    Offset register could be added for phase control

                                    Cons:
                                    Output of D/A subject to A/D common flaws such as uneven steps, or
                                    feed through of bits causing errors in the output cause phase noise.
                                    Noise from digital section can couple into the analog section for
                                    increased phase noise.
                                    Analog output must be turned back into a digital signal which we need
                                    in the clock chain, this adds further to the noise.

                                    Variable XO ie; XI570 a digital solution to generating a stable clock

                                    * Built in crystal reference clock
                                    * PLL multiplier with variable rate divide in the feedback to the
                                    digital phase comparator, operates in the 2GHz 5 GHz range
                                    * divider on the PLL out out
                                    * Output is digital.

                                    Pros:
                                    Output can be higher in frequency than the reference clock, as high as 1.7GHz
                                    No Nyqist limits since we are dealing with digital circuits.
                                    Entire chain is Digital for fewer noise issues.
                                    No analog D/A with it's problems for cleaner output and way less phase noise
                                    Output is digital, less phase noise since this what we wanted in the
                                    first place to drive the I/Q clock generators

                                    Cons:
                                    Changing the divider on the PLL cause a small delay before the
                                    frequency stabilizes, no problem if all you are changing is the output divider.

                                    They each have their unique weaknesses but overall I personally
                                    prefer the SI570, there are cases though were it will fail for
                                    example if you want to change the frequency repeatedly specially over
                                    a range bigger than 3500ppm

                                    Cecil
                                    k5nwa
                                    www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                    < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

                                  • k8ki/Bob
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009

                                      The spectrum in that shot certainly looks maximum ugly, but that’s not the way the way an AD9850 should look.  I’ve used a sister chip, the AD9853, in a commercial product for a few years and have looked at its spectrum many times.  When working properly, the spectrum looks very clean.

                                      The spectrum shot from DJ9CS is for a DDS that is not working properly.  I’ve seen this sort of failure before.  If you look at a good DDS signal with an o’scope you’ll see a “stair-steppy” sinewave with constant amplitude envelope.  This particular unit has an oscillation component running at 18 kHz that is modulating the good 14.6 MHz signal.  It needs to get fixed.  And I agree, don’t use this particular one.

                                      If I were to have some concern regarding the use of an AD9850 in a RXTX, it would be whether it is strong enough to drive a TTL device.  The AD9850 output is only about 1 volt PP.

                                      73,

                                      Bob/k8ki

                                      please avoid using this DDS34 for a RXTX. Have a look at the output
                                      spectrum of this oscillator:

                                      http://softrock. raisdorf. org/images/ 80mx4.jpg

                                      This an example for a center frequeny of 14.600 MHz to operate on 80m
                                      around 3.650 MHz. In case of the receiver the various spurious signals
                                      are just your personal problem. But in case of transmitting you will
                                      be outside of the regulations regarding suprious signals and you will
                                      surely disturb other services and hams.

                                      73's Bodo, DJ9CS

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Stelian Valceanu <steli_hd@.. .> wrote:

                                      > I got this DDS on Ebay http://zao.jp/ radio/dds34en/ index_e.php
                                      > Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX
                                      > Thanks

                                    • steli_hd
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 3, 2009
                                        http://www.byonics.com/
                                        here is the aprs country of the kits....and much more good stuff.