Re: Kits and a Website

  • Glen Overby
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 31, 1969
      "Milt Cram" w8nue@... w8nue wrote:
      > Have you checked out the Files Section of the Austin QRP Yahoo Groups?

      > Look under K5JHF. John has graciously provided the source code for the
      > kits.

      I picked up the Si570 Controller and Frequency Generator Kit a while back, and
      it's a nice kit.

      The AQRP group requires group membership to access their Files Section. I
      don't live in Austin so I really don't have a reason to be on the AQRP list
      other than to get access to these files. Could I appeal to those designing
      the kits to put the source code in a location that doesn't require AQRP group
      access?

      Glen Overby, kc0iyt
    • Bruce Tanner
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2009
        Ken, you should just be able to place your cursor over the PDF icon.
        Click the right mouse button for a menu, then 'save as'. The file will
        be saved to your hard drive with the proper file name. Be sure to note
        where it is saved. Go there and double click it and Adobe should bring
        it up for viewing. If you do not have the Adobe reader you can search
        for it via Google and down load a copy free.

        Bruce, K2BET

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2009
          From: "Kees & Sandy"

          I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
          http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html

          Kees,

          That's better! It will be interesting to know how a bit of web exposure
          works. Maybe you'll be too busy to tell us!

          I've got a couple of your controllers built without the Si570. It is easy to
          connect to the earlier Softrocks in place of the PIC.
          With the Si570 there can be no simpler wide range oscillator. I have an
          example of one I built here
          http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/K-J-Controller.htm with a divider
          following it. OK, it is not actually one of your kits but it could be. My
          one shows the versatility of John's code, and a very cheap rotary encoder!

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Stelian Valceanu
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
            Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX
            Thanks

            I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
            http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html

            Kees,

            That's better! It will be interesting to know how a bit of web exposure
            works. Maybe you'll be too busy to tell us!

            I've got a couple of your controllers built without the Si570. It is easy
            connect to the earlier Softrocks in place of the PIC.
            With the Si570 there can be no simpler wide range oscillator. I have an
            example of one I built here
            http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/K-J-Controller.htm with a divider
            following it. OK, it is not actually one of your kits but it could be. My
            one shows the versatility of John's code, and a very cheap rotary encoder!

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
              From: "Stelian Valceanu"
              >I got this DDS on Ebay http://zao.jp/radio/dds34en/index_e.php
              > Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX

              It looks as if it will but that page does not give sufficient detail.

              The various Si570 control methods are about the same price and are more
              suited to the Softrock.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • ad9850
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                Hello...

                please avoid using this DDS34 for a RXTX. Have a look at the output
                spectrum of this oscillator:

                http://softrock.raisdorf.org/images/80mx4.jpg

                This an example for a center frequeny of 14.600 MHz to operate on 80m
                around 3.650 MHz. In case of the receiver the various spurious signals
                are just your personal problem. But in case of transmitting you will
                be outside of the regulations regarding suprious signals and you will
                surely disturb other services and hams.

                73's Bodo, DJ9CS

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Stelian Valceanu <steli_hd@...> wrote:

                > I got this DDS on Ebay http://zao.jp/radio/dds34en/index_e.php
                > Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX
                > Thanks
              • eplerkeppler
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Kees,

                  This is a very nice selection.

                  I'm always amazed by your accomplishments.

                  About the
                  'The Logging Barometer/Thermometer Kit #3,'
                  if it hasn't crossed your mind already, adding another mode for when
                  you put it in an RC model aircraft to log maximum altitude would be nice.

                  Something where you put it into altimeter mode and then it zero's on
                  the ground then you fly and when you land and can show what your
                  altitude data points are ... average, max, etc.. in (feet/meters).
                  Or, if nothing else I guess you can just dump the data to your laptop
                  and crunch on the raw numbers there.

                  And then again, obviously it will probably do fine 'as is' to take the
                  altitude measurements as just pressures.

                  -- Charles WC5MC

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:

                  > I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
                  earlier. I'm open to comments. You can search on "K5BCQ", "K5BCQ
                  Homepage" and go to the last item .....or just click on
                  > http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html
                  > 73 Kees K5BCQ

                • Mark J. Dulcey
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                    ad9850 wrote:

                    > please avoid using this DDS34 for a RXTX. Have a look at the output
                    > spectrum of this oscillator:
                    >
                    > http://softrock.raisdorf.org/images/80mx4.jpg
                    > <http://softrock.raisdorf.org/images/80mx4.jpg>
                    >
                    > This an example for a center frequeny of 14.600 MHz to operate on 80m
                    > around 3.650 MHz. In case of the receiver the various spurious signals
                    > are just your personal problem. But in case of transmitting you will
                    > be outside of the regulations regarding suprious signals and you will
                    > surely disturb other services and hams.

                    It might be possible to use that DDS with careful selection of output
                    frequencies (DDS spurs are highly dependent on that, and some choices
                    are MUCH worse than others), but that would require the use of a
                    spectrum analyzer to study its output. Output filtering would also help,
                    as the really bad spurs in the example are well away from the center
                    frequency. That said, it would be a lot easier to use an Si570-based
                    frequency source instead.
                  • Stelian Valceanu
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Well I don't know to much aobut this Si 570, how is generating the needed freq, it is a DDS or what?
                      This DDS has the feature that is USB and can be used to continuus tune the freq.
                      With

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Thanks for your response, sounds really professional advice.
                        it means that I still can use it, and as I see and you mention it, pretty much, the DDS has the spur far from the center freq. as all DDS's
                        But I am curios about this new freq. generator with Si570 and I will do some research on it.
                        AE6OR

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Guys, I made a GPS tracker the size of a HITEC dual conv RX and is transmiting speed, elevation, and coordinations, at 1sec interval(adjustabile). It si very simple, has a 300mw transmiter and a small lipo battery last forewer. Let me know if intrested, will send you pictures and more info....
                          AE6OR

                          I'm always amazed by your accomplishments.

                          About the
                          'The Logging Barometer/Thermomet er Kit #3,'
                          if it hasn't crossed your mind already, adding another mode for when
                          you put it in an RC model aircraft to log maximum altitude would be nice.

                          Something where you put it into altimeter mode and then it zero's on
                          the ground then you fly and when you land and can show what your
                          altitude data points are ... average, max, etc.. in (feet/meters) .
                          Or, if nothing else I guess you can just dump the data to your laptop
                          and crunch on the raw numbers there.

                          And then again, obviously it will probably do fine 'as is' to take the
                          altitude measurements as just pressures.

                          -- Charles WC5MC

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@ ...> wrote:

                          > I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
                          earlier. I'm open to comments. You can search on "K5BCQ", "K5BCQ
                          Homepage" and go to the last item .....or just click on
                          > http://www.qsl. net/k5bcq/ Kits/Kits. html
                          > 73 Kees K5BCQ

                        • Michael Shiloh
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                            Along the same lines, have you considered making the microcontroller
                            source code available, so that modifications like the one suggested
                            below can be done?

                            eplerkeppler wrote:

                            > Kees,
                            >
                            > This is a very nice selection.
                            >
                            > I'm always amazed by your accomplishments.
                            >
                            > About the
                            > 'The Logging Barometer/Thermomet er Kit #3,'
                            > if it hasn't crossed your mind already, adding another mode for when
                            > you put it in an RC model aircraft to log maximum altitude would be nice.
                            >
                            > Something where you put it into altimeter mode and then it zero's on
                            > the ground then you fly and when you land and can show what your
                            > altitude data points are ... average, max, etc.. in (feet/meters) .
                            > Or, if nothing else I guess you can just dump the data to your laptop
                            > and crunch on the raw numbers there.
                            >
                            > And then again, obviously it will probably do fine 'as is' to take the
                            > altitude measurements as just pressures.
                            >
                            > -- Charles WC5MC
                            >
                            > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                            > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@ ...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I have made a first pass at a web site for the kits I discussed
                            > earlier. I'm open to comments. You can search on "K5BCQ", "K5BCQ
                            > Homepage" and go to the last item .....or just click on
                            > > http://www.qsl net/k5bcq/ Kits/Kits. html
                            > <http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html>
                            > > 73 Kees K5BCQ

                          • Milt Cram
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                              Michael Shiloh wrote:
                              > Along the same lines, have you considered making the microcontroller
                              > source code available, so that modifications like the one suggested
                              > below can be done?

                              Hi Michael,

                              Have you checked out the Files Section of the Austin QRP Yahoo Groups?

                              Look under K5JHF. John has graciously provided the source code for the
                              kits.

                              73, Milt
                              W8NUE
                              AQRP
                            • Michael Shiloh
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                Glad to hear that.

                                Unfortunately for those of us who receive this mailing list in email
                                (rather than visiting the Yahoo groups forum) accessing those files is
                                not possible without registering a Yahoo ID.

                                Michael
                                KA6RCQ

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  From: "Stelian Valceanu"

                                  >Well I don't know to much aobut this Si 570, how is generating the needed
                                  >freq, it is a DDS or what?
                                  This DDS has the feature that is USB and can be used to continuus tune the
                                  freq.

                                  The USB controlled Si570 is a feature of current Softrocks. Look at
                                  http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/
                                  It is a crystal oscillator combined with multipliers and divisors to produce
                                  a clean signal that can be tuned in less than 1Hz steps. All in one small
                                  package.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                    From: "Michael Shiloh" >
                                    > Unfortunately for those of us who receive this mailing list in email
                                    > (rather than visiting the Yahoo groups forum) accessing those files is
                                    > not possible without registering a Yahoo ID.

                                    You miss out a lot if you do not join the groups. In this group's file
                                    section is an enormous amount of information.
                                    Most groups may be joined just to look at the files, you do not have to
                                    receive emails. How you look at posts is optional anyway.

                                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  • Stelian Valceanu
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                      Well, seems to me that it is also a DDS, perhaps it is one with much cleaner output, and maybe they could use it in the high end top dollar transceivers....

                                      >Well I don't know to much aobut this Si 570, how is generating the needed
                                      >freq, it is a DDS or what?
                                      This DDS has the feature that is USB and can be used to continuus tune the
                                      freq.

                                      The USB controlled Si570 is a feature of current Softrocks. Look at
                                      http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/
                                      It is a crystal oscillator combined with multipliers and divisors to produce
                                      a clean signal that can be tuned in less than 1Hz steps. All in one small
                                      package.

                                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                    • k5nwa
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                        At 05:26 PM 2/2/2009, you wrote:
                                        >Well, seems to me that it is also a DDS, perhaps it is one with much
                                        >cleaner output, and maybe they could use it in the high end top
                                        >dollar transceivers....

                                        Look at the block diagram of a DDS and then look at the block diagram
                                        and you will see that they are not the same.

                                        DDS ie; AD98XX a hybrid solution to generating a stable clock

                                        * High frequency Reference clock, the output in order to be
                                        reasonably clean can't approach the clock source due to Nyqist
                                        issues, output typically limited to 1/3 reference clock.
                                        * programmable divider whose output triggers a fractional addition
                                        * fractional adder every clock from the divide adds the fraction
                                        that controls the frequency to a large accumulator
                                        * The upper bits of the accumulator are feed through a sine
                                        lookup table into a D/A converter
                                        * The D/A output is filtered and is used as the output

                                        Pros:
                                        Very fine frequency control
                                        Offset register could be added for phase control

                                        Cons:
                                        Output of D/A subject to A/D common flaws such as uneven steps, or
                                        feed through of bits causing errors in the output cause phase noise.
                                        Noise from digital section can couple into the analog section for
                                        increased phase noise.
                                        Analog output must be turned back into a digital signal which we need
                                        in the clock chain, this adds further to the noise.

                                        Variable XO ie; XI570 a digital solution to generating a stable clock

                                        * Built in crystal reference clock
                                        * PLL multiplier with variable rate divide in the feedback to the
                                        digital phase comparator, operates in the 2GHz 5 GHz range
                                        * divider on the PLL out out
                                        * Output is digital.

                                        Pros:
                                        Output can be higher in frequency than the reference clock, as high as 1.7GHz
                                        No Nyqist limits since we are dealing with digital circuits.
                                        Entire chain is Digital for fewer noise issues.
                                        No analog D/A with it's problems for cleaner output and way less phase noise
                                        Output is digital, less phase noise since this what we wanted in the
                                        first place to drive the I/Q clock generators

                                        Cons:
                                        Changing the divider on the PLL cause a small delay before the
                                        frequency stabilizes, no problem if all you are changing is the output divider.

                                        They each have their unique weaknesses but overall I personally
                                        prefer the SI570, there are cases though were it will fail for
                                        example if you want to change the frequency repeatedly specially over
                                        a range bigger than 3500ppm

                                        Cecil
                                        k5nwa
                                        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                        < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

                                      • k8ki/Bob
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009

                                          The spectrum in that shot certainly looks maximum ugly, but that’s not the way the way an AD9850 should look.  I’ve used a sister chip, the AD9853, in a commercial product for a few years and have looked at its spectrum many times.  When working properly, the spectrum looks very clean.

                                          The spectrum shot from DJ9CS is for a DDS that is not working properly.  I’ve seen this sort of failure before.  If you look at a good DDS signal with an o’scope you’ll see a “stair-steppy” sinewave with constant amplitude envelope.  This particular unit has an oscillation component running at 18 kHz that is modulating the good 14.6 MHz signal.  It needs to get fixed.  And I agree, don’t use this particular one.

                                          If I were to have some concern regarding the use of an AD9850 in a RXTX, it would be whether it is strong enough to drive a TTL device.  The AD9850 output is only about 1 volt PP.

                                          73,

                                          Bob/k8ki

                                          please avoid using this DDS34 for a RXTX. Have a look at the output
                                          spectrum of this oscillator:

                                          http://softrock. raisdorf. org/images/ 80mx4.jpg

                                          This an example for a center frequeny of 14.600 MHz to operate on 80m
                                          around 3.650 MHz. In case of the receiver the various spurious signals
                                          are just your personal problem. But in case of transmitting you will
                                          be outside of the regulations regarding suprious signals and you will
                                          surely disturb other services and hams.

                                          73's Bodo, DJ9CS

                                          --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Stelian Valceanu <steli_hd@.. .> wrote:

                                          > I got this DDS on Ebay http://zao.jp/ radio/dds34en/ index_e.php
                                          > Does enyone have any idea if this will work with the TX/RX
                                          > Thanks

                                        • steli_hd
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 3, 2009
                                            http://www.byonics.com/
                                            here is the aprs country of the kits....and much more good stuff.