RE: [softrock40] I/Q reversed between Rocky/powerSDR ?

  • Ronald Wagner
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009

      Since you brought this up, how can you tell by looking if a signal is USB or LSB?

      Ron

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
        The example I gave is mostly by ear, however, if using Rocky or PSDR,
        probably any of the software items, when you look at the 'Spectrum view'
        you will see what appears to be a somewhat 'straight edge' on one side
        of the signal you are listening for, the other end of the signal being
        more 'ragged' and trailing off to infinity. The former edge represents
        the carrier mid-point if you were looking at a double sideband signal.
        If the little 'tuning filter window' (along the bottom scale in Rocky)
        is lined up such that the left edge is under the carrier point and the
        remainder of the window is to the right of it... and you can understand
        the intelligence in the signal... that would be an 'Upper Side Band'.
        When the little window's right edge is lined up with the 'straight edge'
        of the signal being tuned, and the rest of the signal is to the left
        atop the 'tuning filter window', and if you can understand what is being
        said you are listening to a 'Lower Side Band' signal.

        When you are attempting to tune in an AM signal, a short wave broad cast
        station for instance, you can set Rocky to either side band setting.
        Setting the 'filter window' as above will allow you to hear either
        sideband well as long as you have the proper end of the window at the
        middle carrier location of the signal and it is coordinated with the
        proper sideband setting in the 'Mode' options.

        With a CW setting you are placing the filter window to zero beat the
        carrier of the signal being tuned so sidebands are not involved to
        obtain intelligence from the signal..

        You may have been asking about the 'Gentleman's Agreement'. If so, it is
        usual to use the lower side band setting when transmitting on 160, 80
        and 40 meter band voice segments. The upper side band is commonly used
        on the 30, 20, 15 and 10 meters as well as the VHF/UHF wavelengths above
        that.

        Hope that is helpful. It is pretty much the same when you are viewing
        signals on the 'Spectrum' view in Power SDR and other SDR software.

        Hope that is helpful. If you experiment with the above a bit you will
        soon be able to place your cursor over the right spot, click and
        instantly tune a signal to hear the intelligence (the technical
        definition at least!) contained within the signal.

        Bruce
        ---------------

        Ronald Wagner wrote:

        > Since you brought this up, how can you tell by looking if a signal is
        > USB or LSB?
        >

        > Ron

      • applewiz67
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
          Guys,

          I'm not looking at any incoming signals... have a sig gen here. After
          a trawl through the group archives, there was a question nearly a year
          ago on Rocky/PSDR I/Q, but no-one answered.

          So I will run on the basis of them being reversed. After there's
          nothing to say which signal is which apart from trial & error. Some
          SDR programs do not provide for I/Q swapping, which will at some stage
          limit the number of programs we can run without moving cables.

          -Rob
        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
            Rob,

            As PowerSDR does not have the facility to swap the I/Q signals over,
            best to wire your hardware for that if you intend to use it, and swap
            them over in the software configuration for all of the other SDR
            software available. Chicken and egg type question as to which is
            'right'! At least that way you do not need to keep swapping cables over.

            Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "applewiz67" <robbrown@...> wrote:

            > Guys,
            >
            > I'm not looking at any incoming signals... have a sig gen here. After
            > a trawl through the group archives, there was a question nearly a year
            > ago on Rocky/PSDR I/Q, but no-one answered.
            >
            > So I will run on the basis of them being reversed. After there's
            > nothing to say which signal is which apart from trial & error. Some
            > SDR programs do not provide for I/Q swapping, which will at some stage
            > limit the number of programs we can run without moving cables.
            >
            > -Rob

          • Chuck
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009

              Double pole slide switch works well in this application.

              73

              Chuck WD4HXG

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "applewiz67" wrote:

              > Guys,
              >
              > I'm not looking at any incoming signals... have a sig gen here. After
              > a trawl through the group archives, there was a question nearly a year
              > ago on Rocky/PSDR I/Q, but no-one answered.
              >
              > So I will run on the basis of them being reversed. After there's
              > nothing to say which signal is which apart from trial & error. Some
              > SDR programs do not provide for I/Q swapping, which will at some stage
              > limit the number of programs we can run without moving cables.
              >
              > -Rob

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: