Re: SRv5 - 1/2 actual soundcard bandwidth - confusion ?!?

  • wrlabs
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
      Thanks **VERY** much to all who responded to this.

      Thanks to your gracious efforts I good idea of where to go from here.

      I did finish up the schematics for the 20m and 40m LO/BPF boards, you
      can find them at:

      http://wrlabs.shacknet.nu/~vw/hamradio/SoftRockV5/

      Hopefully they will help in some way.

      Again, thanks!

      Take care es 73, Vikki (WV9K/7)
    • John Seager
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
        Vikki
        I am not an expert but have had a similar problem with mirror image response on either side of the midline when using SRv 5.0 with Rocky and an onboard AC97 soundcard. Using the I2PHD SDRadio programme the unwanted images to the left of the midline disappear almost completely if the sound card channel skew calibration is set to give a delay of about -14 microseconds. Because of this I have assumed that the problem lies in the AC97 sound card and that an M-Audio Delta 44 would eliminate the problem. Of course it might not... John  G0UCP
      • wrlabs
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
          Hi Folks,

          After going over the boards and finding no problems, I tracked back
          down the cables and the one to the soundcard had pulled about halfway
          out of the extension cable.

          Rule One still applies :-) Make sure it is plugged in! LOL.

          To all who responded, again, thanks MUCH!

          Is there any point to replacing the AC97 with an SB Live! ?

          Thanks & take care es 73, Vikki (WV9k/7)
        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
            On many of my PC's the built in AC97 card work quite well, some of
            them are very quiet in terms of noise and hum pickup. But the Sound
            Blaster Live 24 PCI has the advantage of 24 bit resolution, which you
            can notice when there are weak signals, and it's less than $30 in most places.

            I would say if you can afford it go for it, but beware some of the
            higher price SB cards don't give you enough increased performance
            compared to their cost increase. Also their USB versions take a much
            heavier toll in terms of increases CPU usage compared to their PCI
            cousins, that is specially important if you don't have a top end computer.

            Have fun.:-)

            At 11:45 AM 3/4/2006, you wrote:

            >Hi Folks,
            >
            >After going over the boards and finding no problems, I tracked back
            >down the cables and the one to the soundcard had pulled about halfway
            >out of the extension cable.
            >
            >Rule One still applies :-) Make sure it is plugged in! LOL.
            >
            >To all who responded, again, thanks MUCH!
            >
            >Is there any point to replacing the AC97 with an SB Live! ?
            >
            >Thanks & take care es 73, Vikki (WV9k/7)
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Cecil Bayona
            KD5NWA
            www.qrpradio.com

            "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
          • wrlabs
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
              Hello Cecil,

              Thanks for the info here, it sure clears up a number of questions I
              had! Much appreciated!

              I found one at NewEgg and will probably go ahead and order it.