Re: [softrock40] Re: SRv5 - 1/2 actual soundcard bandwidth - confusion ?!?

  • John Melton
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
      Some other things to check:

      1. the values of R25 and C25 are the correct values.
      2. you are using the line-in on the soundcard and it is stereo.
      3. any shorts on the I and Q audio cable to the sound card.

      Regards,

      John g0orx/n6lyt

      wrlabs wrote:
      > Hi Jean-Claude,
      >
      > > [ ... ]
      > > > This problem occurs on both the 40 and 20m LO/BPF boards so I
      > > [ ... ]
      > > This would confirm that the problem is on the QSD board.
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >
      > That does make sense, but the QSD was the last place I would have
      > looked as the QSD board was built and tested and then shipped to me,
      > maybe something got knocked loose in shipping ?!?
      >
      > I mostly suspected the LO/BPF boards as I built those myself :).
      >
      > Especially the 20m module where I broke off the 2N3904 during assembly
      > and for a while had it replaced with a 2N3906 before I caught that and
      > replaced it with a 2N3904 as it should have been. Funny that it
      > doesn't work at all with a PNP in place of an NPN :).
      >
      > I took the LO/BPF schematic and drew it up in gschem for the 20m
      > module specifically just to make troubleshooting easier. I'll check
      > that today and put it up on my SoftRock page, might make things a bit
      > easier for someone else. Plan on doing the same with the 40m module
      > just so I don't have to look through the data lines for each bands values.
      >
      > I did look at the 20m board under a magnifier last night and it looked
      > good, I am going to verify values today while I am at it today.
      >
      > This gets more exciting!
      >
      > Thanks & take care es 73, Vikki (WV9K/7)

      > Shortwave receivers
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Shortwave+receivers&w1=Shortwave+receivers&w2=Ham+radio&c=2&s=40&.sig=MB4yUGINw9tizVKS3Upr0w>
      > Ham radio
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Shortwave+receivers&w2=Ham+radio&c=2&s=40&.sig=XNtLoznpXE_hqNE4dvfaHA>

    • Guido
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
        Hi Vikki,

        The noise problem, could be due to a bad crystal. My 20m crystal behaves bad and causes about 20db noise over the whole band compared to another crystal or LC replacement.

        What also can cause the noise, is that the mixer input setting is not preserved in de soundcard driver. Selecting again the input port line-in will solve. I do not recommend to use mic input port.

        Guido

        On 3/1/06, wrlabs <pmudmap5@...> wrote:
        Hi folks,

          I'm real confused here and I have not found and answer for this, so
        please let me pester all the experts out here :-).

          I have the SRv5 with the 40m and 20m LO/BPF modules.  On the
        computer I (reluctantly :) put windoz on to deal with this (old
        Thunderbird 1100 / 512M RAM / MSI-K7T-PRO2-A motherboard) I am using
        the built in AC97 sound.

        Using Rocky and M0KGK I see the same thing.

          I ***APPEARS*** to me that only half of the banwidth shown is real,
        the other half is a mirror?!?

          I have NOISE problems here and am lucky when a signal gets through,
        but I finally got enough of a good day here to get several signals
        going through the 20m module.  This time long enough to do some checking.

          There is a central spike in the display corresponding to the LO
        crystal frequency and a couple smaller spikes very close to that one.

          Signals are mirrored on the opposite side of the central spike, or
        so it certainly seems to be here.

          A couple pix of this for reference:

        http://wrlabs.shacknet.nu/~vw/hamradio/SoftRockV5/

          I wander back and forth between this is right (mix products) and
        maybe I have something wrong? Yes, confuzed-r-us :-).

          One last question, I have a spare SB Live! floating around, would
        that be any better than the onboard AC97 (Delta is not in the budget :)?

          Any thoughts appreciated!

        Thanks & take care es 73, Vikki.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • wrlabs
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
          Thanks **VERY** much to all who responded to this.

          Thanks to your gracious efforts I good idea of where to go from here.

          I did finish up the schematics for the 20m and 40m LO/BPF boards, you
          can find them at:

          http://wrlabs.shacknet.nu/~vw/hamradio/SoftRockV5/

          Hopefully they will help in some way.

          Again, thanks!

          Take care es 73, Vikki (WV9K/7)
        • John Seager
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2006
            Vikki
            I am not an expert but have had a similar problem with mirror image response on either side of the midline when using SRv 5.0 with Rocky and an onboard AC97 soundcard. Using the I2PHD SDRadio programme the unwanted images to the left of the midline disappear almost completely if the sound card channel skew calibration is set to give a delay of about -14 microseconds. Because of this I have assumed that the problem lies in the AC97 sound card and that an M-Audio Delta 44 would eliminate the problem. Of course it might not... John  G0UCP
          • wrlabs
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
              Hi Folks,

              After going over the boards and finding no problems, I tracked back
              down the cables and the one to the soundcard had pulled about halfway
              out of the extension cable.

              Rule One still applies :-) Make sure it is plugged in! LOL.

              To all who responded, again, thanks MUCH!

              Is there any point to replacing the AC97 with an SB Live! ?

              Thanks & take care es 73, Vikki (WV9k/7)
            • KD5NWA
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2006
                On many of my PC's the built in AC97 card work quite well, some of
                them are very quiet in terms of noise and hum pickup. But the Sound
                Blaster Live 24 PCI has the advantage of 24 bit resolution, which you
                can notice when there are weak signals, and it's less than $30 in most places.

                I would say if you can afford it go for it, but beware some of the
                higher price SB cards don't give you enough increased performance
                compared to their cost increase. Also their USB versions take a much
                heavier toll in terms of increases CPU usage compared to their PCI
                cousins, that is specially important if you don't have a top end computer.

                Have fun.:-)

                At 11:45 AM 3/4/2006, you wrote:

                >Hi Folks,
                >
                >After going over the boards and finding no problems, I tracked back
                >down the cables and the one to the soundcard had pulled about halfway
                >out of the extension cable.
                >
                >Rule One still applies :-) Make sure it is plugged in! LOL.
                >
                >To all who responded, again, thanks MUCH!
                >
                >Is there any point to replacing the AC97 with an SB Live! ?
                >
                >Thanks & take care es 73, Vikki (WV9k/7)
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Cecil Bayona
                KD5NWA
                www.qrpradio.com

                "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
              • wrlabs
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Hello Cecil,

                  Thanks for the info here, it sure clears up a number of questions I
                  had! Much appreciated!

                  I found one at NewEgg and will probably go ahead and order it.