SR6 for 160/80m!

  • Steve Ireland
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006

      Hi Greg (and fellow lowbanders)

      At first I thought that a SR6 on 160/80 might not be possible (being Igor rather than Dr Frankenstein), but then did a couple of back of the envelope calculations.

      If I am correct, with a Delta 44 or similar 96KHz sound card, then if there is a 4 x crystal divider, a 14.192 crystal would give coverage of :

      3.500 to 3.596MHz

      1.750 to 1.846MHz

      For a 160/80m CW DXer, that is pretty much perfect.

      Vy 73

      Steve, VK6VZ

    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hi Steve,

        The 14.192 MHz oscillator frequency would give a center frequency of 3.548 MHz and 1.774 MHz on the two bands.  With +/- 48 KHz of tuning range the band coverage would then be 3.500 - 3.596 MHz and  1.726 - 1.822 MHz.  The 80m low end band coverage would need to be compromised a bit to improve the 160m coverage.

        However, at $15 for the v6.0 kit it might make sense to just use the SoftRock for single band coverage.

        v6.0 prototype boards are due in on March 3 so by this weekend I should be able to post some info on how the design is working out.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006

          Hi Tony

          Lookth liketh my arifmeticth is worth than I thoughth.  As you sayth (and ath my poor braineth thought originally) at $15 a pop the SR6 is perfect for a single band 160m receiverth.

          Vy 73

          Igor (assistant to Dr Frankenstein), VK6VZ

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 5:33 AM
            Message
                Tony, put me down for a production SR6.

            Stan Rife
            W5EWA
            Houston, TX
            K2 S/N 4216

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1 8:16 AM
              At Mouser they have a HC-49 14.194MHz crystals with wire leads for $.47, $.35 in hundred qty, but since the SoftRock uses high capacity in the oscillator, that knocks the crystal frequency down anywhere from 2KHz to 4KHz.

              That work out quite nicely, and that is a good choice of alternate bands.

              < http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=331059&e_categoryid=26&e_pcodeid=55900

              That frequency is available from many other sources in case one doesn't want to order from Mouser.

              I would be willing to entertain a small volume buy for those interested in a crystal.

              It would end up cost + shipping(coming and going) cost divided by the number of crystals bought.  Outgoing cost would be $.39 for a few crystals on a first class letter. PayPal payments would have to include the PayPal fee since I want to break even.

              Let me know in a private email if interested, then I'll decide if it's practical.

              At 06:15 PM 2/28/2006, you wrote:
              Hi Greg (and fellow lowbanders)

              At first I thought that a SR6 on 160/80 might not be possible (being Igor rather than Dr Frankenstein), but then did a couple of back of the envelope calculations.

              If I am correct, with a Delta 44 or similar 96KHz sound card, then if there is a 4 x crystal divider, a 14.192 crystal would give coverage of :

              3.500 to 3.596MHz
              1.750 to 1.846MHz

              For a 160/80m CW DXer, that is pretty much perfect.

              Vy 73

              Steve, VK6VZ

              Shortwave receivers Ham radio

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Cecil Bayona
              KD5NWA
              www.qrpradio.com

              I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't; only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...

            • Steve Ireland
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 2:55 PM

                Hi Cecil

                Thank you for your kind offer, but my mathematics was actually wrong.  Although the crystal would be fine for 80m CW, for 160m it would only give coverage up to 1822.

                As Tony KB9YIG corrected me in an email, the 14.192 MHz oscillator frequency would give a center frequency of 3.548 MHz and 1.774 MHz on the two bands.  With +/- 48 KHz of tuning range the band coverage would then be 3.500 - 3.596 MHz and  1.726 - 1.822 MHz.

                As most 160 CW activity is between about 1.820 and 1.835, this means my idea falls in a heap…

                Vy 73

                Steve, VK6VZ