Si 570 removal tips

  • g3oth
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi all
      Whilst on the subject of Si570 integrated circuits I just thought
      someone out there might like to know how without using any fancy
      tools I successfully removed and recyled a Si570 style package on a
      SR project.
      Obtain a small offcut of 3/8 inch (10mm) OD copper tube from your
      junkbox or local oil / central heating supplier.
      Cut off a length approx 1 inch (25mm) long and using either a vise,
      flat nose pliers or Mole Grips squeeze and shape and file the last
      1/4 inch (6mm) or so of one end to form a rectangular cross section
      having internal dimensions of approx 0.3 inch (7.5mm) by 0.2 inch
      (5mm).
      This shaping operation when completed successfully should just allow
      sufficient clearance for the tube when placed vertically at right
      angles to the PCB to pass over the body of the Si570 and make
      simultaneous contact with all 8 pads of the PCB surrounding the
      Si570, and at the same time not interfer with any other components on
      the PCB.
      (If you have any metal stock with outside dimensions of approx 0.3 by
      0.2 inches or could file down to suit, it might help to make a former
      for the tube shaping operation first, but I found the copper tube to
      be soft enough to work without a need for this.)
      When you are satisfied you have the right shape, clean the tube and
      with your regular 12 to 25 watt soldering iron and flux pen carefully
      tin the outside and edge of the lower shaped end of the tube taking
      care not to allow solder to flow up inside the tube.
      When cold, again check that the tube still clears the IC and is still
      making good contact with all 8 PCB pads surrounding the IC.
      IF so, insert your soldering iron into the open end of the tube
      sufficently so that it is in contact with the copper but not the IC.
      As soon as it is observed that solder is starting to melt on the
      lower outside / edge of the tube, remove the iron giving the tube a
      twist and shake at the same time to release the Si570.
      Finally clean up the PCB and IC using Solder Wick and Flux Pen.
      Not as difficult as you might think.
      73 de Charles G3OTH
    • leon Heller
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
        > Whilst on the subject of Si570 integrated circuits I just thought
        > someone out there might like to know how without using any fancy
        > tools I successfully removed and recyled a Si570 style package on a
        > SR project.

        I use ChipQuik for that sort of thing.

        Leon
      • g3oth
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
            I have used a small embossing hot air tool for removing the Si570 chips, just heat it up enough to let it fall off the board.

            as a experiment just to see how much abuse it will take, I did it 5 times on one chip, same method to solder it to the board and remove it from the board, and no problems detected.

            bob
            WB7DMX

            subject of Si570 integrated circuits I just thought
            > > someone out
            there might like to know how without using any fancy
            > > tools I
            successfully removed and recyled a Si570 style package on a
            > > SR
            project.

            > I use ChipQuik for that sort of thing.
            >
            > Leon

            Thanks for your recommendation Leon. I was not aware of this product
            before now. I have read the write up on their website and it looks good
            but dont know how well it will work with a Si570 package where the pads
            are widely spaced as it probably is still quite difficult to maintain a
            high enough temperature on all pads long enough to undo the chip
            without in addition using a special soldering tool. Have you ever used
            this product on a leadless Si570 style package ? I have asked them for
            samples so I can try it out for myself. Watch this space.
            73 de Charles G3OTH

          • John D'Ausilio
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
              I've used it on a 570 .. it's a wonderful thing, actually an alloy
              called Wood's Metal. I forget the composition (google is your friend)
              but it has a melting point well below that of boiling water so once
              you dilute the solder with it it's pretty easy to get stuff off a
              board. I got a 1# ingot of the stuff from my father-in-law .. he
              worked for a helicopter manufacturer and they used it to fill tubing
              before bending to prevent wrinkles and collapse, then they throw it in
              a pot of hot water and melt the metal out :)

              One downside of Wood's is it's hard to clean it all off once you're done ..

              Of course your way works too, as will a hot air tool as someone else mentions.

              de w1rt/john

              On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:14 PM, g3oth <g3oth@...> wrote:
> [...]
            • Jose Bonanca

                --
                Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
              • g3oth
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bob bailey" <wb7dmx@...> wrote:
                  FB Bob abt the embossing tool, I have seen these recommended for SM
                  work on various web sites but haven't found a place yet to see and
                  buy one to try out over here in England. I tried using a commercial
                  Heat Shrink gun and my XYL's hair dryer but I wasn't very happy with
                  the results so maybe I gave up too soon. Glad to know that the Si570
                  devices are so rugged.
                  Have a Happy New Year.
                  Charles G3OTH

                • Kees & Sandy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008

                    I use the little embossing heat gun from Hobby Lobby for ~$15 .....works great. Point it at the part, wait till the solder melts and flick it off with an X-Acto knife. Does not harm the board or the Si570 or adjacent parts.

                    73 Kees K5BCQ

                    -- "g3oth" <g3oth@...> wrote:

                    > > Whilst on the subject of Si570 integrated circuits I just thought
                    > > someone out there might like to know how without using any fancy
                    > > tools I successfully removed and recyled a Si570 style package on a
                    > > SR project.
                    >
                    > I use ChipQuik for that sort of thing.
                    >
                    > Leon

                    Thanks for your recommendation Leon. I was not aware of this product
                    before now. I have read the write up on their website and it looks good
                    but dont know how well it will work with a Si570 package where the pads
                    are widely spaced as it probably is still quite difficult to maintain a
                    high enough temperature on all pads long enough to undo the chip
                    without in addition using a special soldering tool. Have you ever used
                    this product on a leadless Si570 style package ? I have asked them for
                    samples so I can try it out for myself. Watch this space.
                    73 de Charles G3OTH

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Brian Hall
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
                      Or just use a hot air embossing gun.   If you're going to delve into SMT component soldering, you might as well prepare for the occasional de-soldering task too.

                      The LVDS Si570 I just mounted on my RxTx 6.3 has now been mounted to three different boards (Dave's Si570 board, an Xtall add-on for my RxTx 6.2, and now the 6.3 Xtall board).  Each time I removed it, I used my embossing gun.  If you like (or would like to try) the hot air method of soldering SMT components, I'd highly recommend the Milwaukee brand embossing gun.

                      Brian AC7NA

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
                        >> > Whilst on the subject of Si570 integrated circuits I just thought
                        >> > someone out there might like to know how without using any fancy
                        >> > tools I successfully removed and recyled a Si570 style package on a
                        >> > SR project.
                        >>
                        >> I use ChipQuik for that sort of thing.
                        >>
                        >> Leon
                        >
                        > Thanks for your recommendation Leon. I was not aware of this product
                        > before now. I have read the write up on their website and it looks good
                        > but dont know how well it will work with a Si570 package where the pads
                        > are widely spaced as it probably is still quite difficult to maintain a
                        > high enough temperature on all pads long enough to undo the chip
                        > without in addition using a special soldering tool. Have you ever used
                        > this product on a leadless Si570 style package ? I have asked them for
                        > samples so I can try it out for myself. Watch this space.
                        > 73 de Charles G3OTH

                        I've only used it on QFPs. I don't see why it shouldn't work on chips like
                        the Si570.

                        Leon
                      • leon Heller
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
                          > FB Bob abt the embossing tool, I have seen these recommended for SM
                          > work on various web sites but haven't found a place yet to see and
                          > buy one to try out over here in England. I tried using a commercial
                          > Heat Shrink gun and my XYL's hair dryer but I wasn't very happy with
                          > the results so maybe I gave up too soon. Glad to know that the Si570
                          > devices are so rugged.
                          > Have a Happy New Year.
                          > Charles G3OTH

                          I bought one from a local craft shop. It's got two heat settings.

                          Leon
                          --
                          Leon Heller
                          Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
                            Good idea to salvage the Si570 , but, that seems like a lot of slow
                            heat .... was the chip still usable ?

                            maybe mount the tube to the heat source, so, the time the chip is
                            exposed to heat is shortened ?

                            or, heat the tube with a torch & pliers -then- use while still hot ?

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g3oth" <g3oth@...> wrote:
                            > insert your soldering iron into the open end of the tube
                            > sufficently so that it is in contact with the copper but not the IC.
                            > As soon as it is observed that solder is starting to melt on the
                            > lower outside / edge of the tube, remove the iron giving the tube a
                            > twist and shake at the same time to release the Si570.
                          • Henk Keppel
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                              What is Chip Quick, please explain because I am sure that there are many places in the world where this expression is not known even in HAM circuits.

                              73, Henk, PA0KEP

                              Ik gebruik de gratis versie van SPAMfighter
                              Wij zijn een gemeenschap van 5,8 miljoen gebruikers in strijd tegen spam.
                              De Professionele versie heeft deze voetnoot niet.
                            • leon Heller

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 1, 2009
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood%27s_metal

                                  de w1rt/john