v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit ... USB control problems ...

  • wnpauls
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
      I have the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit built to the USB control portion.
      Good morning Tony,

      The voltages and resistances check out as in the testing. (Robby's tests)

      Neither my laptop nor my desktop recognize the USB controller giving
      an error message that says the USB device is defective.

      I have an USB 2ic kit also that when put in the laptop or desktop
      accepts the driver and gives the "error 5" test as expected in Robby's
      testing.

      The circuit of course are very similar. The only real difference is
      the diodes ... in the USB 2ic kit I used the 3.3 v diodes in error!

      I tried swapping the AATiny's ... both worked in the USB 2ic and
      neither worked in the v9.0.

      I am at a loss as to what to try next to find the problem.

      thanks in advance,

      Paul
    • None None
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
        Thanks for the link!

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
          Hi Tony,

          Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
          to usb?
          I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
          USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

          Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
          have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

          73,
          Christos SV1EIA

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

          > Good Afternoon All,
          >
          > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
          > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
          >
          > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
          > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
          > by itself with the following options:
          >
          > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
          >
          > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
          > $14 for DX.
          >
          > Each kit price includes postage costs.
          >
          > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
          > be checked.)
          >
          > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
          > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
          > orders will be filled in about ten days.
          >
          > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
          >
          > 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • pe0fko
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
            Test,

            I changed something in the email setting and now it is not working any
            more?

            73, Fred
            PE0FKO
          • Tony Parks
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
              Hi Christos,

              You will need to contact Jan, G0BBL, concerning the AVR firmware used in the v9.0 receiver kit.

              This is the same AVR code as used in the USB Synth VFO product.

              73,
              Tony KB9YIG
              Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
              to usb?
              I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
              USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

              Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
              have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

              73,
              Christos SV1EIA

              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Good Afternoon All,
              >
              > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
              > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
              >
              > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
              > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
              > by itself with the following options:
              >
              > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
              >
              > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
              > $14 for DX.
              >
              > Each kit price includes postage costs.
              >
              > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
              > be checked.)
              >
              > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
              > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
              > orders will be filled in about ten days.
              >
              > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
              >
              > 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

            • cesco12342000
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                > USBtoI2C interface

                Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                ------
                usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                ------

                Set bpf value:
                ------
                bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                ------
                wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !

                73, Cesco
              • alexle188
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                  Hi Christos,

                  As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                  information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                  are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                  USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                  please ignore my information.

                  You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                  Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                  firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                  Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).

                  UBW Emulator Firmware
                  ----------------------
                  After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                  of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                  the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                  will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                  user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                  device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.

                  As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                  pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                  a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                  switching and reading the paddle inputs.

                  The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                  freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                  UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                  the filters.

                  The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                  FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.

                  73's

                  Alex
                • Christos Nikolaou
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Ok Cesco,

                    Tnx fer info. :-)

                    73,
                    Christos SV1EIA

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                    > > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                    > > USBtoI2C interface
                    >
                    > Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                    > ------
                    > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                    > ------
                    >
                    > Set bpf value:
                    > ------
                    > bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                    > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                    > ------
                    > wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !
                    >
                    > 73, Cesco

                  • Christos Nikolaou
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                      Hi Alex,

                      Your BPF mobo was already supported by PowerSDR-IQ in 'direct' lets
                      say mode via LPT (CMOS) lines or the HSUSB interface via CY7C68013A
                      port (LVTTL) lines regardless of VFO and interface used.
                      PowerSDR-IQ can work with BCD multiplexing like it is in your mobo or
                      in Tony's BPF from version 1.12.06 in any line/filter/band combination
                      (configurable) regarding also band edges. :-)

                      73,
                      Christos SV1EIA

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Christos,
                      >
                      > As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                      > information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                      > are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                      > USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                      > please ignore my information.
                      >
                      > You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                      > Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                      > firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                      > Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).
                      >
                      > UBW Emulator Firmware
                      > ----------------------
                      > After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                      > of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                      > the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                      > will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                      > user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                      > device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.
                      >
                      > As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                      > pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                      > a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                      > switching and reading the paddle inputs.
                      >
                      > The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                      > freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                      > UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                      > the filters.
                      >
                      > The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                      > FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.
                      >
                      > 73's
                      >
                      > Alex

                    • alexle188
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                        Hi Christos,

                        Great! Thanks for the info. The Mobo v3.5 is in Beta now and this
                        will give the builders more options to do the band switching :-)

                        73's

                        Alex
                      • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                          Hmm. I lost all email from Yahoo Groups from 5:34 PM last evening (DST)
                          till 5:09 AM today. Maybe it was nothing you did?

                          73, cul...
                          Bob de k2ki