Owner/moderator (was Re: Freebies 1st December)

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
      > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
      > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
      > up no longer responds to any mail.

      Actually, I suspect there IS an active owner or moderator. Someone seems to
      be zapping the spammers after they spam the list once. If he/she wasn't
      doing this, it would be overrun with continuous spam, instead of one spam
      every 2-4 days like it is now. This list has remarkably low spam! They're
      just annoying (about as annoying as the round-and-round discussions about
      it).

      Andy
    • bob bailey
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        thatÂ’s interesting, as I belong to many yahoo groups like this one and this one is the only one that has this problem. I have nerver seen this on any of them as yet.
        bob
        WB7DMX

        > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner.

        It's
        > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set
        it
        > up no longer responds to any mail.

        Actually, I suspect there IS an active owner or moderator. Someone seems to
        be zapping the spammers after they spam the list once. If he/she wasn't
        doing this, it would be overrun with continuous spam, instead of one spam
        every 2-4 days like it is now. This list has remarkably low spam! They're
        just annoying (about as annoying as the round-and-round discussions about
        it).

        Andy

      • cesco12342000
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
          > Actually, I suspect there IS an active owner or moderator.

          If so, may i suggest to the moderator to remove the spam-message from
          the list? I dont know how many people are using the web-based list
          instead of emails, but i am. If those messages were removed i would
          never see them.

          Second suggestion is the files area. Could all the "Tony files" be
          separated from the rest ? Those "tony files" are important documents
          to builders, and they are difficult to find now beacuse of the amount
          of files there. Maybe a special subdirectory, or preceeding all those
          files with "A_" so they all will show up at the beginning of the
          files area ?
        • Andy
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
            > > Actually, I suspect there IS an active owner or moderator.
            >
            > If so, may i suggest to the moderator to remove the spam-message from
            > the list? I dont know how many people are using the web-based list
            > instead of emails, but i am. If those messages were removed i would
            > never see them.

            They ARE removed! That's why I think there IS a moderator, behind the
            scenes, not making him/herself known to us.

            (If you see them on the web interface, I think that's because you looked
            before he/she deleted it.)

            Andy
          • Andy
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
              >... I belong to many yahoo groups like this one and this one is the only
              > one that has this problem. I have nerver seen this on any of them as yet.

              That's because of the settings on this group, which make it easy for
              spammers to sign up and spam. Moderators of other spam-free lists have
              changed the settings to make it more difficult. Not here, yet.

              Andy