Re: [softrock40] Re: Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Matt,

      The $10 40m SoftRock Lite kit is a good way to sample the SoftRock kits.  Kits are in stock and a kit may be ordered via PayPal to kb9yig@... .  The 40m SoftRock Lite kit provides a crystal controlled center frequency of about 7.055 MHz and when used with a soundcard that can sample at 48 kHZ give band coverage about +/-24 kHz around the center frequency.

      SDR software is free to download and the Rocky v3.6 program is a very nice program.

      Attached is the schematic for the SoftRock Lite kit.

      Thanks for your interest in the kits.

      73,
      Tony KB9YIG
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
        I have the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit built to the USB control portion.
        Good morning Tony,

        The voltages and resistances check out as in the testing. (Robby's tests)

        Neither my laptop nor my desktop recognize the USB controller giving
        an error message that says the USB device is defective.

        I have an USB 2ic kit also that when put in the laptop or desktop
        accepts the driver and gives the "error 5" test as expected in Robby's
        testing.

        The circuit of course are very similar. The only real difference is
        the diodes ... in the USB 2ic kit I used the 3.3 v diodes in error!

        I tried swapping the AATiny's ... both worked in the USB 2ic and
        neither worked in the v9.0.

        I am at a loss as to what to try next to find the problem.

        thanks in advance,

        Paul
      • None None
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
          Thanks for the link!

          > I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
          > with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
          > need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
          > one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Matt

          Take a look at
          http://golddredgerv ideo.com/ wb5rvz/>

        • Christos Nikolaou
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
            Hi Tony,

            Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
            to usb?
            I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
            USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

            Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
            have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

            73,
            Christos SV1EIA

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

            > Good Afternoon All,
            >
            > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
            > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
            >
            > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
            > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
            > by itself with the following options:
            >
            > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
            >
            > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
            > $14 for DX.
            >
            > Each kit price includes postage costs.
            >
            > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
            > be checked.)
            >
            > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
            > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
            > orders will be filled in about ten days.
            >
            > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
            >
            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • pe0fko
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
              Test,

              I changed something in the email setting and now it is not working any
              more?

              73, Fred
              PE0FKO
            • Tony Parks
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                Hi Christos,

                You will need to contact Jan, G0BBL, concerning the AVR firmware used in the v9.0 receiver kit.

                This is the same AVR code as used in the USB Synth VFO product.

                73,
                Tony KB9YIG
                Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
                to usb?
                I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

                Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
                have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

                73,
                Christos SV1EIA

                --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                > Good Afternoon All,
                >
                > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                >
                > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                > by itself with the following options:
                >
                > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                >
                > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                > $14 for DX.
                >
                > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                >
                > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                > be checked.)
                >
                > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                >
                > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                >
                > 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

              • cesco12342000
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                  > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                  > USBtoI2C interface

                  Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                  ------
                  usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                  ------

                  Set bpf value:
                  ------
                  bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                  usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                  ------
                  wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !

                  73, Cesco
                • alexle188
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Hi Christos,

                    As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                    information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                    are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                    USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                    please ignore my information.

                    You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                    Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                    firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                    Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).

                    UBW Emulator Firmware
                    ----------------------
                    After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                    of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                    the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                    will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                    user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                    device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.

                    As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                    pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                    a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                    switching and reading the paddle inputs.

                    The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                    freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                    UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                    the filters.

                    The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                    FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.

                    73's

                    Alex
                  • Christos Nikolaou
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                      Ok Cesco,

                      Tnx fer info. :-)

                      73,
                      Christos SV1EIA

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                      > > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                      > > USBtoI2C interface
                      >
                      > Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                      > ------
                      > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                      > ------
                      >
                      > Set bpf value:
                      > ------
                      > bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                      > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                      > ------
                      > wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !
                      >
                      > 73, Cesco

                    • Christos Nikolaou
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                        Hi Alex,

                        Your BPF mobo was already supported by PowerSDR-IQ in 'direct' lets
                        say mode via LPT (CMOS) lines or the HSUSB interface via CY7C68013A
                        port (LVTTL) lines regardless of VFO and interface used.
                        PowerSDR-IQ can work with BCD multiplexing like it is in your mobo or
                        in Tony's BPF from version 1.12.06 in any line/filter/band combination
                        (configurable) regarding also band edges. :-)

                        73,
                        Christos SV1EIA

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Christos,
                        >
                        > As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                        > information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                        > are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                        > USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                        > please ignore my information.
                        >
                        > You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                        > Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                        > firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                        > Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).
                        >
                        > UBW Emulator Firmware
                        > ----------------------
                        > After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                        > of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                        > the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                        > will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                        > user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                        > device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.
                        >
                        > As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                        > pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                        > a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                        > switching and reading the paddle inputs.
                        >
                        > The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                        > freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                        > UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                        > the filters.
                        >
                        > The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                        > FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.
                        >
                        > 73's
                        >
                        > Alex

                      • alexle188
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                          Hi Christos,

                          Great! Thanks for the info. The Mobo v3.5 is in Beta now and this
                          will give the builders more options to do the band switching :-)

                          73's

                          Alex
                        • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                            Hmm. I lost all email from Yahoo Groups from 5:34 PM last evening (DST)
                            till 5:09 AM today. Maybe it was nothing you did?

                            73, cul...
                            Bob de k2ki