Re: [softrock40] Re: Freebies 1st December

  • Jim Miller
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
      owner can do that.

      basically it's a zombie...

      jim ab3cv
    • Graham
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        Wouldn't that would destroy the vast amount of information that can be
        found by searching the messages here, not to mention all the files &
        photos?

        Seems a bit drastic just to avoid an occasional unwanted message.

        73 de Graham G3ZOD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@...> wrote:
        > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
        > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
        > up no longer responds to any mail.
        >
        > Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
        > this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
        > to take over an abandoned group.
      • Andy
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          > ... since there Yahoo has no provision
          > to take over an abandoned group.

          Actually, Yahoo is developing standards for doing that.

          Even today, it is possible to pressure them into granting someone else
          ownership (or at least moderatorship with full or nearly full privileges),
          something unheard of before.

          > Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
          > like news posts, so threads them properly.

          Outlook Express does that.

          > of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
          > owner can do that.

          But why would you want to shut it down? Abandoning it for a replacement
          group is one thing; deleting it is unnecessary. And you'd lose all this
          valuable information that newcomers might want to review.

          Andy
        • eric@van-de-weyer.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            Hey guys,

            I can't see what the hoo haa is all about.

            My delete key works perfectly!

            73....Eric VK2VE.

          • Bob Bruno - K2KI
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
              WOW!!! Look at all the QRM!!!

              By my count...

              1 Freebie message yielded 9 messages (10 if you count this one). With
              more follow-ups I am sure.

              Am I crazy for thinking that those who are complaining about the 1
              message per week are actually creating more "non-group topic" messages
              than the original message? There is a delicious irony here.

              That's all I have on the subject. Glad I could be #10 (NOT).

              73, cul...
              Bob de k2ki
            • Chris Albertson
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                I just looked in my "junk" folder and found this thread. Why can't
                you all do what I did and make a mail filter that automatically
                removes "Freebie" to the junk folder?

                --
                =====
                Chris Albertson