Re: [softrock40] Re: Freebies 1st December

  • Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      darkraist wrote:
      > I think that we should move to a forum structure. Important threads
      > and information are much more accessible. The mailing list format is
      > outdated and makes it hard to keep up with what you're interested it
      > now that it's so high volume.

      Only if it's still accessible via a mailing list. I find forums pretty
      much impenetrable. I'm on two, and that's about as much as I have time
      to deal with. Mailing lists are much quicker and easier.

      Of course the proper way to do it is to use nntp...

      Gordon
    • Duncan Clark
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        In message <49341927.2000306@...>, Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ
        <gordon@...> writes
        >Of course the proper way to do it is to use nntp...

        Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
        like news posts, so threads them properly. It's easy to follow
        everything then :-)

        Duncan
        --
        Duncan Clark
        G4ELJ
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
          owner can do that.

          basically it's a zombie...

          jim ab3cv
        • Graham
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            Wouldn't that would destroy the vast amount of information that can be
            found by searching the messages here, not to mention all the files &
            photos?

            Seems a bit drastic just to avoid an occasional unwanted message.

            73 de Graham G3ZOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@...> wrote:
            > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
            > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
            > up no longer responds to any mail.
            >
            > Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
            > this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
            > to take over an abandoned group.
          • Andy
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
              > ... since there Yahoo has no provision
              > to take over an abandoned group.

              Actually, Yahoo is developing standards for doing that.

              Even today, it is possible to pressure them into granting someone else
              ownership (or at least moderatorship with full or nearly full privileges),
              something unheard of before.

              > Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
              > like news posts, so threads them properly.

              Outlook Express does that.

              > of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
              > owner can do that.

              But why would you want to shut it down? Abandoning it for a replacement
              group is one thing; deleting it is unnecessary. And you'd lose all this
              valuable information that newcomers might want to review.

              Andy
            • eric@van-de-weyer.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                Hey guys,

                I can't see what the hoo haa is all about.

                My delete key works perfectly!

                73....Eric VK2VE.

              • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                  WOW!!! Look at all the QRM!!!

                  By my count...

                  1 Freebie message yielded 9 messages (10 if you count this one). With
                  more follow-ups I am sure.

                  Am I crazy for thinking that those who are complaining about the 1
                  message per week are actually creating more "non-group topic" messages
                  than the original message? There is a delicious irony here.

                  That's all I have on the subject. Glad I could be #10 (NOT).

                  73, cul...
                  Bob de k2ki
                • Chris Albertson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                    I just looked in my "junk" folder and found this thread. Why can't
                    you all do what I did and make a mail filter that automatically
                    removes "Freebie" to the junk folder?

                    --
                    =====
                    Chris Albertson