Re: Troubleshooting Softrock lite RX

  • norman.billingham
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Tony

      pin 1 goes from 2.49 to 3.73V with 10K at pin 2

      pin 7 goes from 2.49 to 3.89 with 10K at pin 6

      Norman

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

      > Hi Norman,
      >
      > Please repeat the DC gain test for the dual op-amp. A 10k resistor
      to ground at pin 2 or pin 6 should result in a voltage change of 1.25
      volts at pin 1 or pin 7 respectively.

      > 73,
      > Tony KB9YIG

    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi Norman,

        The DC gain of each of op-amp is about right.

        When you checked for the AC I and Q outputs was it at pins 1 and 7 of the dual op-amp each with reference to circuit ground or at the tip and ring connections beyond SMT caps C16 and C17?  Also, what load did you have on the I and Q output lines?

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG
        pin 1 goes from 2.49 to 3.73V with 10K at pin 2

        pin 7 goes from 2.49 to 3.89 with 10K at pin 6

        Norman

        --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

        > Hi Norman,
        >
        > Please repeat the DC gain test for the dual op-amp. A 10k resistor
        to ground at pin 2 or pin 6 should result in a voltage change of 1.25
        volts at pin 1 or pin 7 respectively.

        > 73,
        > Tony KB9YIG

      • norman.billingham
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
          Hi Tony

          There is a fine strong signal on pin 7 and on the output side of the
          capacitor. There is no signal at all on pin 1 or on the output lead.

          All measured wrt ground at the screen connection for I and Q lines.

          Only load is the scope probe - at the moment I just have bits of wire
          soldered into the I and Q outputs to provide test points before I
          mount the board properly in a box and put in the audio cable.

          Thanks for all the help

          73 Norman

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
            Hi Norman,

            With DC gain of each op-amp about right, it seems that R9 has a larger resistance than 10 ohms, or C14 has more capacitance than 220 pF, or there is an AC load on the pin 1 output of U5.  (Also still the possibility there is a problem with U5.)  I would suggest removing C16 first to see if the AC voltage at pin 1 of U5 increases with the RF test signal input you are using.  Next, remove C14.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            There is a fine strong signal on pin 7 and on the output side of the
            capacitor. There is no signal at all on pin 1 or on the output lead.

            All measured wrt ground at the screen connection for I and Q lines.

            Only load is the scope probe - at the moment I just have bits of wire
            soldered into the I and Q outputs to provide test points before I
            mount the board properly in a box and put in the audio cable.

            Thanks for all the help

            73 Norman

            --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

            > Hi Norman,
            >
            > The DC gain of each of op-amp is about right.
            >
            > When you checked for the AC I and Q outputs was it at pins 1 and 7
            of the dual op-amp each with reference to circuit ground or at the
            tip and ring connections beyond SMT caps C16 and C17? Also, what
            load did you have on the I and Q output lines?

            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • norman.billingham
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
              Thanks Tony.

              It all checks out visually so I'll take out the capacitors tomorrow
              and see what happens.

              I'll probably order up a new U5 just in case. Our local stockist
              lists 3 versions of the LTC6241, with numbers LTC6241CS8,
              LTC6241HVCS8 and LTC6241HVIS8. The first two seem to be identical
              except for a wider temperature range for the second - both are
              described as type "low noise". The third is decribed as
              type "CMOS". Does it matter which I get?

            • Tony Parks
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
                Hi Norman,

                The TLC6241CS8 should do the job if the op-amp is needing to be replaced.

                73,
                Tony KB9YIG
                It all checks out visually so I'll take out the capacitors tomorrow
                and see what happens.

                I'll probably order up a new U5 just in case. Our local stockist
                lists 3 versions of the LTC6241, with numbers LTC6241CS8,
                LTC6241HVCS8 and LTC6241HVIS8. The first two seem to be identical
                except for a wider temperature range for the second - both are
                described as type "low noise". The third is decribed as
                type "CMOS". Does it matter which I get?

                Norman

                --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                > Hi Norman,
                >
                > With DC gain of each op-amp about right, it seems that R9 has a
                larger resistance than 10 ohms, or C14 has more capacitance than 220
                pF, or there is an AC load on the pin 1 output of U5. (Also still
                the possibility there is a problem with U5.) I would suggest
                removing C16 first to see if the AC voltage at pin 1 of U5 increases
                with the RF test signal input you are using. Next, remove C14.

                > 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

              • Jose Bonanca
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Norman please check out what chip you need if it is the audio chip should be LTC 6231 and not 6241.
                  LTC6231 is dual and 6241 is one only audio amp.
                  73

                  --
                  Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
                • Jose Bonanca

                    --
                    Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
                  • Jose Bonanca
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
                      OK
                      Sorry Tony I have seen the 6241sc8 and it really should do the job.

                      I am sorry for the mistake.

                      73

                      --
                      Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
                    • norman.billingham
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Hi Tony

                        Checka all capacitor and rseitance values this afternoon and all
                        seemed OK. Despite having inspected everything under 10X
                        magnifcation and found no problems, I decided before yanking
                        components to flux everything around the mixer and op amps and touch
                        up every joint with a hot iron and it came to life - must have been a
                        joint that was OK for DC but not AC as all voltages were OK.

                        It's sitting on the bench putting out about 1.6V of I and Q from
                        about 40mV RF in.

                        Anyway - thanks again for all the help.

                        Any news on when I'm likely to get the Si570 for my V9 kit? Ordered
                        on October 8

                        73 Norman

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Norman,
                        >
                        > With DC gain of each op-amp about right, it seems that R9 has a
                        larger resistance than 10 ohms, or C14 has more capacitance than 220
                        pF, or there is an AC load on the pin 1 output of U5. (Also still
                        the possibility there is a problem with U5.) I would suggest
                        removing C16 first to see if the AC voltage at pin 1 of U5 increases
                        with the RF test signal input you are using. Next, remove C14.

                        > 73,
                        > Tony KB9YIG

                      • Tony Parks
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Hi Norman,

                          I have 100 pices of the CMOS Si570 due in later this week or early next week.  Your October 8 order would put you in the group to receive one of the Si570 devices to be mailed next Monday or Tuesday.

                          Glad to hear the I and Q signals now look right with the AC gain about right from antenna input to audio output.

                          73,
                          Tony KB9YIG
                          Checka all capacitor and rseitance values this afternoon and all
                          seemed OK. Despite having inspected everything under 10X
                          magnifcation and found no problems, I decided before yanking
                          components to flux everything around the mixer and op amps and touch
                          up every joint with a hot iron and it came to life - must have been a
                          joint that was OK for DC but not AC as all voltages were OK.

                          It's sitting on the bench putting out about 1.6V of I and Q from
                          about 40mV RF in.

                          Anyway - thanks again for all the help.

                          Any news on when I'm likely to get the Si570 for my V9 kit? Ordered
                          on October 8

                          73 Norman

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Norman,
                          >
                          > With DC gain of each op-amp about right, it seems that R9 has a
                          larger resistance than 10 ohms, or C14 has more capacitance than 220
                          pF, or there is an AC load on the pin 1 output of U5. (Also still
                          the possibility there is a problem with U5.) I would suggest
                          removing C16 first to see if the AC voltage at pin 1 of U5 increases
                          with the RF test signal input you are using. Next, remove C14.

                          > 73,
                          > Tony KB9YIG

                        • norman.billingham
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 3, 2008
                            Hi Tony

                            Thanks - that's Christmas sorted then!

                            All best

                            Norman

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Norman,
                            >
                            > I have 100 pices of the CMOS Si570 due in later this week or early
                            next week. Your October 8 order would put you in the group to
                            receive one of the Si570 devices to be mailed next Monday or Tuesday.

                            > Glad to hear the I and Q signals now look right with the AC gain
                            about right from antenna input to audio output.

                            > 73,
                            > Tony KB9YIG
                            FIXED!!