V9.0 build

  • Cecil Acuff
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Greetings Group and Happy Holidays!

      Over the course of Saturday afternoon/evening and the same on Sunday I was
      able to complete the V9.0 main board and 5 of the BPF boards. (160-6m)

      I have to commend all who participated in the design evolution. Especially
      Tony for what has to be a tiring job of putting together the nicely done
      kits! The boards are top quality. No problems with plated feed thru's,
      lifting traces or any of the typical nightmares that can sometimes be
      associated with poorly made things now days. Most tedious part was winding
      the 160M L1 coil. Did find I had to adjust the turns count on just about
      all the L1 inductors to get the specified inductance as measured on my
      Sencore Z-Meter. Not usually more than removing one turn. I may try to
      sweep them using a tracking generator to see what the response curves came
      out to be.

      I haven't powered up any of the stuff yet as I am waiting on the LO as are
      others. I have done multiple close up inspections of the SM components and
      verified component layout. I did the stuff the board assembly process as I
      have been doing component level stuff for over 30 years....but the Build
      Notes as provided by WB5RVZ are excellent.

      Did get the first real opportunity to use my hot air station on this build
      and it was a nice way to mount the IC's. A run of solder impregnated flux
      from a hypodermic down each row of pads, drop the chip in place and run the
      hot air down each row and it's done. No bridges, no mess and water based
      flux. Tooth brush and a bit of warm water once all the SM components were
      on board and all is clean.

      Will start the process of downloading some software to drive the radio with
      today. Also will start looking at some type of enclosure to mount it all in
      once the switchable BPF board is ready.

      Anything you can impart on mounting woes and/or suggestions would be gladly
      received.

      I have a few heavy cast aluminum RF tight enclosures that might be good.
      Looks like some special consideration for isolating the antenna connector
      may be in order from the description. Again any suggestions?

      I am also interested in using the RX between 500Khz and 1700Khz for LW and
      MW reception. Anyone found a clean way to do this?

      Thanks to everyone who supports the development of this project. I hope I
      can join that effort once I get over the learning curve a bit.

      Cecil Acuff
      K5DL
      Gulfport MS.