Re: [softrock40] Freebies 1st December

  • Jim Miller
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
      running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
      up no longer responds to any mail.

      Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
      this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
      to take over an abandoned group.

      jim ab3cv

      On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Sam M <ka5oai@...> wrote:
      > why is this spam continually being allowed posting to the mailing list?
      > of if it's not spam,
      > then please help me understand what it has to do with softrock?

    • darkraist
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        I think that we should move to a forum structure. Important threads
        and information are much more accessible. The mailing list format is
        outdated and makes it hard to keep up with what you're interested it
        now that it's so high volume.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@...> wrote:

        > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
        > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
        > up no longer responds to any mail.
        >
        > Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
        > this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
        > to take over an abandoned group.
        >
        > jim ab3cv
        >
        > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Sam M <ka5oai@...> wrote:
        > > why is this spam continually being allowed posting to the mailing
        list?
        > > of if it's not spam,
        > > then please help me understand what it has to do with softrock?

      • Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          darkraist wrote:
          > I think that we should move to a forum structure. Important threads
          > and information are much more accessible. The mailing list format is
          > outdated and makes it hard to keep up with what you're interested it
          > now that it's so high volume.

          Only if it's still accessible via a mailing list. I find forums pretty
          much impenetrable. I'm on two, and that's about as much as I have time
          to deal with. Mailing lists are much quicker and easier.

          Of course the proper way to do it is to use nntp...

          Gordon
        • Duncan Clark
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            In message <49341927.2000306@...>, Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ
            <gordon@...> writes
            >Of course the proper way to do it is to use nntp...

            Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
            like news posts, so threads them properly. It's easy to follow
            everything then :-)

            Duncan
            --
            Duncan Clark
            G4ELJ
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
              of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
              owner can do that.

              basically it's a zombie...

              jim ab3cv
            • Graham
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                Wouldn't that would destroy the vast amount of information that can be
                found by searching the messages here, not to mention all the files &
                photos?

                Seems a bit drastic just to avoid an occasional unwanted message.

                73 de Graham G3ZOD

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@...> wrote:
                > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
                > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
                > up no longer responds to any mail.
                >
                > Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
                > this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
                > to take over an abandoned group.
              • Andy
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                  > ... since there Yahoo has no provision
                  > to take over an abandoned group.

                  Actually, Yahoo is developing standards for doing that.

                  Even today, it is possible to pressure them into granting someone else
                  ownership (or at least moderatorship with full or nearly full privileges),
                  something unheard of before.

                  > Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
                  > like news posts, so threads them properly.

                  Outlook Express does that.

                  > of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
                  > owner can do that.

                  But why would you want to shut it down? Abandoning it for a replacement
                  group is one thing; deleting it is unnecessary. And you'd lose all this
                  valuable information that newcomers might want to review.

                  Andy
                • eric@van-de-weyer.org
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Hey guys,

                    I can't see what the hoo haa is all about.

                    My delete key works perfectly!

                    73....Eric VK2VE.

                  • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                      WOW!!! Look at all the QRM!!!

                      By my count...

                      1 Freebie message yielded 9 messages (10 if you count this one). With
                      more follow-ups I am sure.

                      Am I crazy for thinking that those who are complaining about the 1
                      message per week are actually creating more "non-group topic" messages
                      than the original message? There is a delicious irony here.

                      That's all I have on the subject. Glad I could be #10 (NOT).

                      73, cul...
                      Bob de k2ki
                    • Chris Albertson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                        I just looked in my "junk" folder and found this thread. Why can't
                        you all do what I did and make a mail filter that automatically
                        removes "Freebie" to the junk folder?

                        --
                        =====
                        Chris Albertson