problem testing v 9.0 USB control ... help!

  • wnpauls
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
      all the resistance checks were okay.

      all the voltages checks were okay, except

      R1 hairpin (U2-5) to ground 60-100 mVdc 96 mVdc

      I got 0 mVdc

      I checked the resistances and the diodes and all seemed okay and
      connected correctly.

      Paul K0ZYV
    • R. R. Robson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wnpauls" <wnpauls@...> wrote:

        > all the resistance checks were okay.
        >
        > all the voltages checks were okay, except
        >
        > R1 hairpin (U2-5) to ground 60-100 mVdc 96 mVdc
        >
        > I got 0 mVdc
        >
        > I checked the resistances and the diodes and all seemed okay and
        > connected correctly.
        >
        > Paul K0ZYV

        Paul:

        After consultation with Jan G0BBL, I have modified the tests for the
        USB Control stage in the V9.0 RX. You might want to take a look
        at/try them.

        See: http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/RX_V9_0/02_usb.htm (and don't
        forget to hit the F5 refresh key)
        73 de robby wb5rvz
      • wnpauls
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
          I checked the new tests ... the hairpin on R1 should have about 90
          mVdc on it.

          I get ZERO on it.

          Should I proceed with the other checks?

          thanks,

          Paul K0ZYV

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R. R. Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wnpauls" <wnpauls@> wrote:
          > >
          > > all the resistance checks were okay.
          > >
          > > all the voltages checks were okay, except
          > >
          > > R1 hairpin (U2-5) to ground 60-100 mVdc 96 mVdc
          > >
          > > I got 0 mVdc
          > >
          > > I checked the resistances and the diodes and all seemed okay and
          > > connected correctly.
          > >
          > > Paul K0ZYV
          > >
          > Paul:
          >
          > After consultation with Jan G0BBL, I have modified the tests for the
          > USB Control stage in the V9.0 RX. You might want to take a look
          > at/try them.
          >
          > See: http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/RX_V9_0/02_usb.htm (and don't
          > forget to hit the F5 refresh key)
          > 73 de robby wb5rvz

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
            The voltage at the hairpin of R1 will be present if the USB cable is connected to the board and plugged into a USB socket.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG
            I checked the new tests ... the hairpin on R1 should have about 90
            mVdc on it.

            I get ZERO on it.

            Should I proceed with the other checks?

            thanks,

            Paul K0ZYV

            --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R. R. Robson" <rrrobson@.. .> wrote:

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "wnpauls" <wnpauls@> wrote:
            > >
            > > all the resistance checks were okay.
            > >
            > > all the voltages checks were okay, except
            > >
            > > R1 hairpin (U2-5) to ground 60-100 mVdc 96 mVdc
            > >
            > > I got 0 mVdc
            > >
            > > I checked the resistances and the diodes and all seemed okay and
            > > connected correctly.
            > >
            > > Paul K0ZYV
            > >
            > Paul:
            >
            > After consultation with Jan G0BBL, I have modified the tests for the
            > USB Control stage in the V9.0 RX. You might want to take a look
            > at/try them.
            >
            > See: http://golddredgerv ideo.com/ wb5rvz/RX_ V9_0/02_usb. htm (and don't
            > forget to hit the F5 refresh key)
            > 73 de robby wb5rvz

          • rw3acq
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
              Hi Paul!
              Try to reheat the problem pins of the D2-D3-U2.
              Bad soldering might be the problem.
              73,Serge
            • nj2e
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
                Paul, I had a similar problem and found pin 4 (grd) was a cold solder
                joint. One of the problem using a low wattage iron, is the ground
                plane is a big heat sink. Don NJ2E

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wnpauls" <wnpauls@...> wrote:

                > all the resistance checks were okay.
                >
                > all the voltages checks were okay, except
                >
                > R1 hairpin (U2-5) to ground 60-100 mVdc 96 mVdc
                >
                > I got 0 mVdc
                >
                > I checked the resistances and the diodes and all seemed okay and
                > connected correctly.
                >
                > Paul K0ZYV

              • wnpauls
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
                  thanks Don,

                  Will check that.

                  Paul

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "nj2e" <donk47@...> wrote:

                  > Paul, I had a similar problem and found pin 4 (grd) was a cold solder
                  > joint. One of the problem using a low wattage iron, is the ground
                  > plane is a big heat sink. Don NJ2E
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wnpauls" <wnpauls@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > all the resistance checks were okay.
                  > >
                  > > all the voltages checks were okay, except
                  > >
                  > > R1 hairpin (U2-5) to ground 60-100 mVdc 96 mVdc
                  > >
                  > > I got 0 mVdc
                  > >
                  > > I checked the resistances and the diodes and all seemed okay and
                  > > connected correctly.
                  > >
                  > > Paul K0ZYV

                • wnpauls
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Tony,

                    Yes, I had it (USB) plugged in and I got all the correct voltages
                    EXCEPT on the hairpin of R1. (Zero volts on R1).

                    Paul