Re: [softrock40] Freebies 1st December

  • Sam M
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
      why is this spam continually being allowed posting to the mailing list?
      of if it's not spam,
      then please help me understand what it has to do with softrock?

      paigewoodmans wrote:
      > A fantastic NEW page of FREE STUFF was just added and is ready for you
      > to Visit Now!

      snip

      --
      GB & 73
      KA5OAI
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
        running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
        up no longer responds to any mail.

        Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
        this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
        to take over an abandoned group.

        jim ab3cv

        On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Sam M <ka5oai@...> wrote:
        > why is this spam continually being allowed posting to the mailing list?
        > of if it's not spam,
        > then please help me understand what it has to do with softrock?

      • darkraist
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          I think that we should move to a forum structure. Important threads
          and information are much more accessible. The mailing list format is
          outdated and makes it hard to keep up with what you're interested it
          now that it's so high volume.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@...> wrote:

          > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
          > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
          > up no longer responds to any mail.
          >
          > Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
          > this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
          > to take over an abandoned group.
          >
          > jim ab3cv
          >
          > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Sam M <ka5oai@...> wrote:
          > > why is this spam continually being allowed posting to the mailing
          list?
          > > of if it's not spam,
          > > then please help me understand what it has to do with softrock?

        • Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            darkraist wrote:
            > I think that we should move to a forum structure. Important threads
            > and information are much more accessible. The mailing list format is
            > outdated and makes it hard to keep up with what you're interested it
            > now that it's so high volume.

            Only if it's still accessible via a mailing list. I find forums pretty
            much impenetrable. I'm on two, and that's about as much as I have time
            to deal with. Mailing lists are much quicker and easier.

            Of course the proper way to do it is to use nntp...

            Gordon
          • Duncan Clark
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
              In message <49341927.2000306@...>, Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ
              <gordon@...> writes
              >Of course the proper way to do it is to use nntp...

              Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
              like news posts, so threads them properly. It's easy to follow
              everything then :-)

              Duncan
              --
              Duncan Clark
              G4ELJ
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
                owner can do that.

                basically it's a zombie...

                jim ab3cv
              • Graham
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Wouldn't that would destroy the vast amount of information that can be
                  found by searching the messages here, not to mention all the files &
                  photos?

                  Seems a bit drastic just to avoid an occasional unwanted message.

                  73 de Graham G3ZOD

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@...> wrote:
                  > The reason is that the Softrock40 group no longer has an owner. It's
                  > running on autopilot until it dies. Whoever was the owner that set it
                  > up no longer responds to any mail.
                  >
                  > Unless the owner comes forward it would probably make sense to shut
                  > this group down and start a new one since there Yahoo has no provision
                  > to take over an abandoned group.
                • Andy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                    > ... since there Yahoo has no provision
                    > to take over an abandoned group.

                    Actually, Yahoo is developing standards for doing that.

                    Even today, it is possible to pressure them into granting someone else
                    ownership (or at least moderatorship with full or nearly full privileges),
                    something unheard of before.

                    > Or be fortunate enough to have e-mail software that treats mailing lists
                    > like news posts, so threads them properly.

                    Outlook Express does that.

                    > of course there's no way to shut this group down either since only the
                    > owner can do that.

                    But why would you want to shut it down? Abandoning it for a replacement
                    group is one thing; deleting it is unnecessary. And you'd lose all this
                    valuable information that newcomers might want to review.

                    Andy
                  • eric@van-de-weyer.org
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Hey guys,

                      I can't see what the hoo haa is all about.

                      My delete key works perfectly!

                      73....Eric VK2VE.

                    • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                        WOW!!! Look at all the QRM!!!

                        By my count...

                        1 Freebie message yielded 9 messages (10 if you count this one). With
                        more follow-ups I am sure.

                        Am I crazy for thinking that those who are complaining about the 1
                        message per week are actually creating more "non-group topic" messages
                        than the original message? There is a delicious irony here.

                        That's all I have on the subject. Glad I could be #10 (NOT).

                        73, cul...
                        Bob de k2ki
                      • Chris Albertson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                          I just looked in my "junk" folder and found this thread. Why can't
                          you all do what I did and make a mail filter that automatically
                          removes "Freebie" to the junk folder?

                          --
                          =====
                          Chris Albertson