Re: Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit

  • cesco12342000
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
      > do I understand correctly that these boards can be mounted and
      > used on the V6.3 RX/TX units as well?

      Yes, done here:
      http://212.254.198.33/bpf/
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
        Hi Cesco, Is this documented anywhere?? I am about to start building my
        6.3 softrock RXTX and would like to use the 570LVDS with USB for frequency
        synth.

        73, Ray, N0FY

      • cesco12342000
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
          > Is this documented anywhere?? I am about to start building my
          > 6.3 softrock RXTX and would like to use the 570LVDS with USB
          > for frequency

          My 6.3 doesent use usb, but serial control to change frequency + bpf.

          The bpf-board should also work with usb-control with Tony's usb kit,
          but automatic bandswitching will not work with USB. You will have to
          set jumpers for band-switching.

          The installation of the bpf-board is simple .. plug it in, and solder
          yourself a 2-wire cable + connector for the +5V and ground that the
          bpf-board needs. There are gnd and +5V pads under the dip-switch.
          Maybe you should not install the dip-switch at all.

          73, Cesco
        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
            Nice feedback fellows! Thanks.

            Cesco, I am assuming that your system works for the RX portion only. Is
            that correct? Where do you have the TX filter boards?

            bet
            --------------

            cesco12342000 wrote:

            > > Is this documented anywhere?? I am about to start building my
            > > 6.3 softrock RXTX and would like to use the 570LVDS with USB
            > > for frequency
            >
            > My 6.3 doesent use usb, but serial control to change frequency + bpf.
            >
            > The bpf-board should also work with usb-control with Tony's usb kit,
            > but automatic bandswitching will not work with USB. You will have to
            > set jumpers for band-switching.
            >
            > The installation of the bpf-board is simple .. plug it in, and solder
            > yourself a 2-wire cable + connector for the +5V and ground that the
            > bpf-board needs. There are gnd and +5V pads under the dip-switch.
            > Maybe you should not install the dip-switch at all.
            >
            > 73, Cesco

            > signature database 3652 (20081130) __________

            > http://www.eset.com
          • cesco12342000
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
              > Cesco, I am assuming that your system works for the RX portion
              > only. Is
              > that correct?

              Correct.

              > Where do you have the TX filter boards?

              I have not even srarted building them ...

              If you search a rx-tx solution try to get one of the the alex-mobo´s a
              few messages back. Using a different usb solution you will have
              automatic all band rx and tx with that.

              btw using a small-screen netbook for editing posts is hell...
            • Bruce Tanner
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
                Oh, My! Take care of those eyes!

                OK, I will check out your recommendations. I thought I had seen
                something of that effect.... on for the hunt!

                Thanks.

                bet
                --------------

                cesco12342000 wrote:

                > > Cesco, I am assuming that your system works for the RX portion
                > > only. Is
                > > that correct?
                >
                > Correct.
                >
                > > Where do you have the TX filter boards?
                >
                > I have not even srarted building them ...
                >
                > If you search a rx-tx solution try to get one of the the alex-mobo´s a
                > few messages back. Using a different usb solution you will have
                > automatic all band rx and tx with that.
                >
                > btw using a small-screen netbook for editing posts is hell...

                > signature database 3652 (20081130) __________

                > http://www.eset.com
              • alexle188
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Hi,

                  The "motherboard" FST3253 switched Rx and Tx BPF with PA for
                  use with SR v6.3 is in Beta Testing. Please see message # 27425,
                  #27460 and #28214 in the Yahoo Softrock Forum for more details.

                  Alex
                • impedance377
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Tony,

                    I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                    with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                    need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                    one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.

                    Thanks,
                    Matt

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                    > Good Afternoon All,
                    >
                    > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                    > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                    >
                    > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                    > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                    > by itself with the following options:
                    >
                    > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                    >
                    > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                    > $14 for DX.
                    >
                    > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                    >
                    > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                    > be checked.)
                    >
                    > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                    > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                    > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Tony KB9YIG

                  • R. R. Robson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "impedance377"
                      <notanotheraccount@...> wrote:

                      > Tony,
                      >
                      > I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                      > with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                      > need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                      > one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Matt

                      Take a look at
                      http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/>
                    • Tony Parks
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Hi Matt,

                        The $10 40m SoftRock Lite kit is a good way to sample the SoftRock kits.  Kits are in stock and a kit may be ordered via PayPal to kb9yig@... .  The 40m SoftRock Lite kit provides a crystal controlled center frequency of about 7.055 MHz and when used with a soundcard that can sample at 48 kHZ give band coverage about +/-24 kHz around the center frequency.

                        SDR software is free to download and the Rocky v3.6 program is a very nice program.

                        Attached is the schematic for the SoftRock Lite kit.

                        Thanks for your interest in the kits.

                        73,
                        Tony KB9YIG
                        I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                        with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                        need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                        one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.

                        Thanks,
                        Matt

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                        > Good Afternoon All,
                        >
                        > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                        > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                        >
                        > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                        > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                        > by itself with the following options:
                        >
                        > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                        >
                        > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                        > $14 for DX.
                        >
                        > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                        >
                        > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                        > be checked.)
                        >
                        > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                        > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                        > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Tony KB9YIG

                      • wnpauls
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                          I have the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit built to the USB control portion.
                          Good morning Tony,

                          The voltages and resistances check out as in the testing. (Robby's tests)

                          Neither my laptop nor my desktop recognize the USB controller giving
                          an error message that says the USB device is defective.

                          I have an USB 2ic kit also that when put in the laptop or desktop
                          accepts the driver and gives the "error 5" test as expected in Robby's
                          testing.

                          The circuit of course are very similar. The only real difference is
                          the diodes ... in the USB 2ic kit I used the 3.3 v diodes in error!

                          I tried swapping the AATiny's ... both worked in the USB 2ic and
                          neither worked in the v9.0.

                          I am at a loss as to what to try next to find the problem.

                          thanks in advance,

                          Paul
                        • None None
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                            Thanks for the link!

                            > I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                            > with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                            > need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                            > one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Matt

                            Take a look at
                            http://golddredgerv ideo.com/ wb5rvz/>

                          • Christos Nikolaou
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                              Hi Tony,

                              Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
                              to usb?
                              I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                              USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

                              Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
                              have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

                              73,
                              Christos SV1EIA

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                              > Good Afternoon All,
                              >
                              > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                              > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                              >
                              > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                              > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                              > by itself with the following options:
                              >
                              > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                              >
                              > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                              > $14 for DX.
                              >
                              > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                              >
                              > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                              > be checked.)
                              >
                              > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                              > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                              > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                              >
                              > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > Tony KB9YIG

                            • pe0fko
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                Test,

                                I changed something in the email setting and now it is not working any
                                more?

                                73, Fred
                                PE0FKO
                              • Tony Parks
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                  Hi Christos,

                                  You will need to contact Jan, G0BBL, concerning the AVR firmware used in the v9.0 receiver kit.

                                  This is the same AVR code as used in the USB Synth VFO product.

                                  73,
                                  Tony KB9YIG
                                  Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
                                  to usb?
                                  I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                  USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

                                  Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
                                  have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

                                  73,
                                  Christos SV1EIA

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                  > Good Afternoon All,
                                  >
                                  > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                                  > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                                  >
                                  > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                                  > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                                  > by itself with the following options:
                                  >
                                  > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                                  >
                                  > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                                  > $14 for DX.
                                  >
                                  > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                                  >
                                  > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                                  > be checked.)
                                  >
                                  > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                                  > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                                  > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  > Tony KB9YIG

                                • cesco12342000
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                    > USBtoI2C interface

                                    Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                                    ------
                                    usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                    ------

                                    Set bpf value:
                                    ------
                                    bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                                    usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                    ------
                                    wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !

                                    73, Cesco
                                  • alexle188
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                      Hi Christos,

                                      As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                                      information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                                      are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                                      USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                                      please ignore my information.

                                      You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                                      Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                                      firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                                      Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).

                                      UBW Emulator Firmware
                                      ----------------------
                                      After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                                      of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                                      the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                                      will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                                      user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                                      device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.

                                      As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                                      pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                                      a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                                      switching and reading the paddle inputs.

                                      The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                                      freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                                      UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                                      the filters.

                                      The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                                      FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.

                                      73's

                                      Alex
                                    • Christos Nikolaou
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                        Ok Cesco,

                                        Tnx fer info. :-)

                                        73,
                                        Christos SV1EIA

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                                        > > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                        > > USBtoI2C interface
                                        >
                                        > Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                                        > ------
                                        > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                        > ------
                                        >
                                        > Set bpf value:
                                        > ------
                                        > bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                                        > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                        > ------
                                        > wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !
                                        >
                                        > 73, Cesco

                                      • Christos Nikolaou
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                          Hi Alex,

                                          Your BPF mobo was already supported by PowerSDR-IQ in 'direct' lets
                                          say mode via LPT (CMOS) lines or the HSUSB interface via CY7C68013A
                                          port (LVTTL) lines regardless of VFO and interface used.
                                          PowerSDR-IQ can work with BCD multiplexing like it is in your mobo or
                                          in Tony's BPF from version 1.12.06 in any line/filter/band combination
                                          (configurable) regarding also band edges. :-)

                                          73,
                                          Christos SV1EIA

                                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Christos,
                                          >
                                          > As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                                          > information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                                          > are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                                          > USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                                          > please ignore my information.
                                          >
                                          > You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                                          > Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                                          > firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                                          > Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).
                                          >
                                          > UBW Emulator Firmware
                                          > ----------------------
                                          > After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                                          > of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                                          > the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                                          > will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                                          > user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                                          > device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.
                                          >
                                          > As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                                          > pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                                          > a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                                          > switching and reading the paddle inputs.
                                          >
                                          > The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                                          > freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                                          > UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                                          > the filters.
                                          >
                                          > The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                                          > FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.
                                          >
                                          > 73's
                                          >
                                          > Alex

                                        • alexle188
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                            Hi Christos,

                                            Great! Thanks for the info. The Mobo v3.5 is in Beta now and this
                                            will give the builders more options to do the band switching :-)

                                            73's

                                            Alex
                                          • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                              Hmm. I lost all email from Yahoo Groups from 5:34 PM last evening (DST)
                                              till 5:09 AM today. Maybe it was nothing you did?

                                              73, cul...
                                              Bob de k2ki