Re: [softrock40] Re: Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
      Maybe that should be keeping the 'bridges' out from under the electronic
      trolls! :)

      Bruce Tanner wrote:

      > Thanks, Robby. Well, I have gotten along without Xmitting so far and
      > having lots of fun. Maybe I will just have to go with the RX unit!
      > You are sure doing a great job with your 'enhanced note' project! Thank
      > you very much for all of those hours and helping us to keep the
      > electronic Trolls under the bridges!
      >
      > Bruce, K2BET
      > ---------------------
      >
      > R. R. Robson wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Tony, do I understand correctly that these boards can be mounted and
      > > > used on the V6.3 RX/TX units as well? If so I will be ordering one
      > > for sure.
      > > >
      > > > Bruce, K2BET
      > > > --------------------
      > > Bruce:
      > > I believe the boards cannot be mounted and used directly on the V6.3
      > > board. The pinouts simply aren't congruent.
      > >
      > > Take a look at the beta build notes and the schematic/layouts.
      > >
      > > http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/hf_bpf/
      > <http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/hf_bpf/>
      > > <http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/hf_bpf/
      > <http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/hf_bpf/>>
      > >
      > > It might be possible to connect them via an outboard mounting of sorts
      > > but, certainly if I tried it, it would be a kludge at best.
      > > 73 de robby wb5rvz

      > > signature database 3652 (20081130) __________

      > > http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com>

      > signature database 3652 (20081130) __________

      > http://www.eset.com
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
        Hi Bruce,

        The v9.0 HF BPF could be used with the v6.3 transceiver for RX but it would require a bit of wiring such as 5 volts DC from the RXTX board and control of the two band select inputs to the HF BPF board.

        Thanks for asking.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
          > do I understand correctly that these boards can be mounted and
          > used on the V6.3 RX/TX units as well?

          Yes, done here:
          http://212.254.198.33/bpf/
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
            Hi Cesco, Is this documented anywhere?? I am about to start building my
            6.3 softrock RXTX and would like to use the 570LVDS with USB for frequency
            synth.

            73, Ray, N0FY

          • cesco12342000
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
              > Is this documented anywhere?? I am about to start building my
              > 6.3 softrock RXTX and would like to use the 570LVDS with USB
              > for frequency

              My 6.3 doesent use usb, but serial control to change frequency + bpf.

              The bpf-board should also work with usb-control with Tony's usb kit,
              but automatic bandswitching will not work with USB. You will have to
              set jumpers for band-switching.

              The installation of the bpf-board is simple .. plug it in, and solder
              yourself a 2-wire cable + connector for the +5V and ground that the
              bpf-board needs. There are gnd and +5V pads under the dip-switch.
              Maybe you should not install the dip-switch at all.

              73, Cesco
            • Bruce Tanner
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
                Nice feedback fellows! Thanks.

                Cesco, I am assuming that your system works for the RX portion only. Is
                that correct? Where do you have the TX filter boards?

                bet
                --------------

                cesco12342000 wrote:

                > > Is this documented anywhere?? I am about to start building my
                > > 6.3 softrock RXTX and would like to use the 570LVDS with USB
                > > for frequency
                >
                > My 6.3 doesent use usb, but serial control to change frequency + bpf.
                >
                > The bpf-board should also work with usb-control with Tony's usb kit,
                > but automatic bandswitching will not work with USB. You will have to
                > set jumpers for band-switching.
                >
                > The installation of the bpf-board is simple .. plug it in, and solder
                > yourself a 2-wire cable + connector for the +5V and ground that the
                > bpf-board needs. There are gnd and +5V pads under the dip-switch.
                > Maybe you should not install the dip-switch at all.
                >
                > 73, Cesco

                > signature database 3652 (20081130) __________

                > http://www.eset.com
              • cesco12342000
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
                  > Cesco, I am assuming that your system works for the RX portion
                  > only. Is
                  > that correct?

                  Correct.

                  > Where do you have the TX filter boards?

                  I have not even srarted building them ...

                  If you search a rx-tx solution try to get one of the the alex-mobo´s a
                  few messages back. Using a different usb solution you will have
                  automatic all band rx and tx with that.

                  btw using a small-screen netbook for editing posts is hell...
                • Bruce Tanner
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
                    Oh, My! Take care of those eyes!

                    OK, I will check out your recommendations. I thought I had seen
                    something of that effect.... on for the hunt!

                    Thanks.

                    bet
                    --------------

                    cesco12342000 wrote:

                    > > Cesco, I am assuming that your system works for the RX portion
                    > > only. Is
                    > > that correct?
                    >
                    > Correct.
                    >
                    > > Where do you have the TX filter boards?
                    >
                    > I have not even srarted building them ...
                    >
                    > If you search a rx-tx solution try to get one of the the alex-mobo´s a
                    > few messages back. Using a different usb solution you will have
                    > automatic all band rx and tx with that.
                    >
                    > btw using a small-screen netbook for editing posts is hell...

                    > signature database 3652 (20081130) __________

                    > http://www.eset.com
                  • alexle188
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Hi,

                      The "motherboard" FST3253 switched Rx and Tx BPF with PA for
                      use with SR v6.3 is in Beta Testing. Please see message # 27425,
                      #27460 and #28214 in the Yahoo Softrock Forum for more details.

                      Alex
                    • impedance377
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Tony,

                        I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                        with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                        need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                        one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.

                        Thanks,
                        Matt

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                        > Good Afternoon All,
                        >
                        > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                        > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                        >
                        > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                        > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                        > by itself with the following options:
                        >
                        > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                        >
                        > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                        > $14 for DX.
                        >
                        > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                        >
                        > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                        > be checked.)
                        >
                        > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                        > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                        > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Tony KB9YIG

                      • R. R. Robson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "impedance377"
                          <notanotheraccount@...> wrote:

                          > Tony,
                          >
                          > I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                          > with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                          > need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                          > one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Matt

                          Take a look at
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
                            Hi Matt,

                            The $10 40m SoftRock Lite kit is a good way to sample the SoftRock kits.  Kits are in stock and a kit may be ordered via PayPal to kb9yig@... .  The 40m SoftRock Lite kit provides a crystal controlled center frequency of about 7.055 MHz and when used with a soundcard that can sample at 48 kHZ give band coverage about +/-24 kHz around the center frequency.

                            SDR software is free to download and the Rocky v3.6 program is a very nice program.

                            Attached is the schematic for the SoftRock Lite kit.

                            Thanks for your interest in the kits.

                            73,
                            Tony KB9YIG
                            I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                            with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                            need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                            one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.

                            Thanks,
                            Matt

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                            > Good Afternoon All,
                            >
                            > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                            > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                            >
                            > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                            > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                            > by itself with the following options:
                            >
                            > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                            >
                            > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                            > $14 for DX.
                            >
                            > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                            >
                            > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                            > be checked.)
                            >
                            > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                            > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                            > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                            >
                            > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Tony KB9YIG

                          • wnpauls
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                              I have the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit built to the USB control portion.
                              Good morning Tony,

                              The voltages and resistances check out as in the testing. (Robby's tests)

                              Neither my laptop nor my desktop recognize the USB controller giving
                              an error message that says the USB device is defective.

                              I have an USB 2ic kit also that when put in the laptop or desktop
                              accepts the driver and gives the "error 5" test as expected in Robby's
                              testing.

                              The circuit of course are very similar. The only real difference is
                              the diodes ... in the USB 2ic kit I used the 3.3 v diodes in error!

                              I tried swapping the AATiny's ... both worked in the USB 2ic and
                              neither worked in the v9.0.

                              I am at a loss as to what to try next to find the problem.

                              thanks in advance,

                              Paul
                            • None None
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
                                Thanks for the link!

                                > I work with SDR. A colleague at work mentioned I would enjoy playing
                                > with a softrock40. So, I'm knew to the scene and I'm not sure what I
                                > need. I've seen several softrock versions. Could you suggest which
                                > one I should buy and where I can learn more about them.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Matt

                                Take a look at
                                http://golddredgerv ideo.com/ wb5rvz/>

                              • Christos Nikolaou
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                  Hi Tony,

                                  Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
                                  to usb?
                                  I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                  USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

                                  Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
                                  have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

                                  73,
                                  Christos SV1EIA

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                  > Good Afternoon All,
                                  >
                                  > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                                  > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                                  >
                                  > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                                  > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                                  > by itself with the following options:
                                  >
                                  > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                                  >
                                  > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                                  > $14 for DX.
                                  >
                                  > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                                  >
                                  > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                                  > be checked.)
                                  >
                                  > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                                  > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                                  > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  > Tony KB9YIG

                                • pe0fko
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    Test,

                                    I changed something in the email setting and now it is not working any
                                    more?

                                    73, Fred
                                    PE0FKO
                                  • Tony Parks
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                      Hi Christos,

                                      You will need to contact Jan, G0BBL, concerning the AVR firmware used in the v9.0 receiver kit.

                                      This is the same AVR code as used in the USB Synth VFO product.

                                      73,
                                      Tony KB9YIG
                                      Is there any info regarding the new ubw firmware for the BPF commands
                                      to usb?
                                      I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                      USBtoI2C interface since this has also requested by some friends.

                                      Appart from schematics, I did not found the updated firmware source to
                                      have a look at, or the new ubw commands.

                                      73,
                                      Christos SV1EIA

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                      > Good Afternoon All,
                                      >
                                      > The circuit boards for the production electronically switched v9.0 HF
                                      > BPF will go on order on December 1 and should be back by mid-December.
                                      >
                                      > Several have ask if the v9.0 HF BPF kit will be offered separate from
                                      > the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit. My plan is to offer the v9.0 HF BPF kit
                                      > by itself with the following options:
                                      >
                                      > 1.8 MHz to 30.0 MHz kit option at $13 for US/Canada and $14 for DX
                                      >
                                      > 3.5 MHz to 30.0 MHz plus 6m coverage option at $13 for US/Canada and
                                      > $14 for DX.
                                      >
                                      > Each kit price includes postage costs.
                                      >
                                      > (One warning is that 6m operation of the HF BPF board still needs to
                                      > be checked.)
                                      >
                                      > Those who recently order a beta HF BPF kit will instead be receiving
                                      > a kit with the production level HF BPF filter board and those kit
                                      > orders will be filled in about ten days.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for your interest in the kits.
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      > Tony KB9YIG

                                    • cesco12342000
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                        > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                        > USBtoI2C interface

                                        Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                                        ------
                                        usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                        ------

                                        Set bpf value:
                                        ------
                                        bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                                        usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                        ------
                                        wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !

                                        73, Cesco
                                      • alexle188
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                          Hi Christos,

                                          As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                                          information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                                          are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                                          USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                                          please ignore my information.

                                          You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                                          Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                                          firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                                          Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).

                                          UBW Emulator Firmware
                                          ----------------------
                                          After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                                          of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                                          the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                                          will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                                          user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                                          device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.

                                          As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                                          pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                                          a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                                          switching and reading the paddle inputs.

                                          The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                                          freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                                          UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                                          the filters.

                                          The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                                          FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.

                                          73's

                                          Alex
                                        • Christos Nikolaou
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                            Ok Cesco,

                                            Tnx fer info. :-)

                                            73,
                                            Christos SV1EIA

                                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                                            > > I'd like to include the enhanced BPF functionality in PowerSDR-IQ
                                            > > USBtoI2C interface
                                            >
                                            > Init after usb connection is OK, only once:
                                            > ------
                                            > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x01, 0x30, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                            > ------
                                            >
                                            > Set bpf value:
                                            > ------
                                            > bpfind can have values of 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30
                                            > usb_control_msg(dev, USB_CTRL_IN, 0x04, bpfind, 0, &b, 1, 1000);
                                            > ------
                                            > wrong bpfind may mess up the IIC bus !
                                            >
                                            > 73, Cesco

                                          • Christos Nikolaou
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                              Hi Alex,

                                              Your BPF mobo was already supported by PowerSDR-IQ in 'direct' lets
                                              say mode via LPT (CMOS) lines or the HSUSB interface via CY7C68013A
                                              port (LVTTL) lines regardless of VFO and interface used.
                                              PowerSDR-IQ can work with BCD multiplexing like it is in your mobo or
                                              in Tony's BPF from version 1.12.06 in any line/filter/band combination
                                              (configurable) regarding also band edges. :-)

                                              73,
                                              Christos SV1EIA

                                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi Christos,
                                              >
                                              > As your message mentioned ubw firmware, I will provide below some
                                              > information of my ubw firmware for BPF/LPF switching. However, if you
                                              > are in fact referring to the avr firmware which is used in the
                                              > USB-Synthesiser kit, Tony's USB-i2c interface, and in SR v9.0, then
                                              > please ignore my information.
                                              >
                                              > You may already know that Cesco has writen a .dll for switching the
                                              > Electronically Switched v9.0 HF BPF kit. It allows the stock AVR
                                              > firmware to be used. It can also switch the Rx BPF's on the
                                              > Motherboard (see PHOTOS->KF4BQ).
                                              >
                                              > UBW Emulator Firmware
                                              > ----------------------
                                              > After the availability of the USB-Synthesiser kit, I wrote an emulator
                                              > of the functionalities of the USB-Synthesiser for the UBW. So when
                                              > the UBW with the Emulator firmware is plugged in the USB port, the PC
                                              > will think that an AVR DG8SAQ-I2C device has been plugged in. The
                                              > user can load the AVR drivers and use PowerSDR to communicate with the
                                              > device just like the AVR based USB-i2c interfaces.
                                              >
                                              > As the UBW has more i/o pins available, my firmware makes use of these
                                              > pins to select BPF (both Rx and Tx) and LPF's, in addition to sending
                                              > a PTT (logic HIGH for Tx and LOW for Rx) logic signal for RxTx
                                              > switching and reading the paddle inputs.
                                              >
                                              > The selection of BPF/LPF is done in the UBW firmware, based on the
                                              > freq setting sent by PowerSDR to the Si570 controlled via i2c by the
                                              > UBW. Thus there is no need for the host software to explicitly select
                                              > the filters.
                                              >
                                              > The source code of the UBW Emulator firmware is available in
                                              > FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.
                                              >
                                              > 73's
                                              >
                                              > Alex

                                            • alexle188
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                                Hi Christos,

                                                Great! Thanks for the info. The Mobo v3.5 is in Beta now and this
                                                will give the builders more options to do the band switching :-)

                                                73's

                                                Alex
                                              • Bob Bruno - K2KI
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                                                  Hmm. I lost all email from Yahoo Groups from 5:34 PM last evening (DST)
                                                  till 5:09 AM today. Maybe it was nothing you did?

                                                  73, cul...
                                                  Bob de k2ki