Re: V9 building today - 3.3 is 5V

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "W3WTW" <camphill@...> wrote:

      Glad you found the problem and removed the chip ok.

      I nearly got fooled by the chip marking, but by process of
      elimination, one had FN002 or something like that, so the other one
      had to be the 3V3 regulator!

      Perhaps Tony and those producing building notes and BOM could add a
      comment LFEA = 3V3 regulator, assuming that all are marked in that way

      Bob G8VOI

      > Tada! Chip replaced and all voltages are perfect!
      >
      > Thanks Bob.
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bob bailey" <wb7dmx@> wrote:
      > >
      > > in the past, I have been known to use two soldering pencils, one on
      > each side of the chip to remove it all at once.
      > > bob
      > > WB7DMX

    • W3WTW
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
        And the non-LFEA that I have looks to be a N02B, which I assume is a
        FIN1002/FN02X.

        Once I double-checked, the LFEA was marked so it was very apparent I
        had it wrong.

        I was following WB5RVX's website and found a few resistor colors
        codes wrong. Be careful!

        - In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "W3WTW" <camphill@> wrote:
        >
        > Glad you found the problem and removed the chip ok.
        >
        > I nearly got fooled by the chip marking, but by process of
        > elimination, one had FN002 or something like that, so the other one
        > had to be the 3V3 regulator!
        >
        > Perhaps Tony and those producing building notes and BOM could add a
        > comment LFEA = 3V3 regulator, assuming that all are marked in that
        way

        > Bob G8VOI
        > >
        > > Tada! Chip replaced and all voltages are perfect!
        > >
        > > Thanks Bob.
        > >

        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bob bailey" <wb7dmx@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > in the past, I have been known to use two soldering pencils,
        one on
        > > each side of the chip to remove it all at once.
        > > > bob
        > > > WB7DMX

      • bob bailey
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
          right, you got to be careful when building these kits, I have a practice of measuring and testing every part to be double sure that I am installing the correct one, the resistor color coding on the blue body is almost impossible to read correctly, the red orange and brown look almost the same color to me, so I measure every one before installing it. it takes less time to measure one than it does to remove it and replace it with the right one.

          bob
          WB7DMX

          href="mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com">softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "bob bailey" <wb7dmx@> wrote:

          > > > in the
          past, I have been known to use two soldering pencils,
          one on

          each side of the chip to remove it all at once.
          > > > bob
          > > > WB7DMX

        • Clive Lorton
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
            W3WTW Wrote " I was following WB5RVX's website and found a few resistor colors
            codes wrong. Be careful!"

            Hmmm. I also followed (for the first time) WB5RVX and didn't notice any problem
            with colour codes.
            But I always check resistors with an meter before I use them.

            I also had a problem identifying the 3.3 regulator. The clue though was in the
            picture showing pin out.

            I found WB5RVX's procedure much easier than just populating the board. I'd
            defiantly work this way again even if I had to make my own tests up

            73, Clive G8POC
          • R. R. Robson
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "W3WTW" <camphill@...> wrote:

              > Started building my V9 today. First step is to build the power
              supply.
              > Input on pin 1 of U3 is 5V and the output on pin 5 is also 5V. Might
              > have shorted it out with too much heat? How much does this voltage
              > difference matter?
              >
              > Thx

              U3 is a pretty tiny beast and it is very likely you have a short
              somewhere between those 5 tiny pads/pins. You might want to take a
              very close look at its installation and/or wick off any excess solder
              and/or reinstall it.

              73 de robby wb5rvz
            • R. R. Robson
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "W3WTW" <camphill@...> wrote:

                > Started building my V9 today. First step is to build the power
                supply.
                > Input on pin 1 of U3 is 5V and the output on pin 5 is also 5V. Might
                > have shorted it out with too much heat? How much does this voltage
                > difference matter?
                >
                > Thx

                Oh, and yes, the difference DOES matter.
              • R. R. Robson
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
                  > Perhaps Tony and those producing building notes and BOM could add a
                  > comment LFEA = 3V3 regulator, assuming that all are marked in that way

                  Done
                  see
                  http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/RX_V9_0/01_ps.htm
                  and
                  http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/RX_V9_0/03_lo.htm

                  de robby wb5rvz
                • R. R. Robson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "bob bailey" <wb7dmx@...> wrote:

                    > right, you got to be careful when building these kits, I have a
                    practice of measuring and testing every part to be double sure that I
                    am installing the correct one, the resistor color coding on the blue
                    body is almost impossible to read correctly, the red orange and brown
                    look almost the same color to me, so I measure every one before
                    installing it. it takes less time to measure one than it does to
                    remove it and replace it with the right one.

                    > bob
                    > WB7DMX
                    right on, Bob!

                    Since I am profoundly color-blind, resistor (or for that matter, any
                    other) color codes have not meant a heck of a lot to me. I am
                    completely unused to working with them, So I agree that one should
                    measure twice, cut once when sorting out the color coded resistors,
                    using an ohmmeter to be certain. Even my XYL, who has quite an eye
                    for colors, finds some of these very difficult to read.

                    Sorry for any confusion this caused.

                    I have reworked the stage BOMs in the V9.0 docs to show pictures
                    generated out of a nifty little program from DL5SWB ("R Color
                    Code"). Hopefully these are more helpful.
                    73 de robby wb5rvz