Anyone here using Z-match antenna tuners?

  • Bob Bruno - K2KI
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi all,

      Well, from what I have read in the past, I see that it is imperative
      that the antenna is presented to the Softrock is as close to 50 ohm as
      possible. So my question is: Is anyone here using a Z-Match tuner.
      Something similar to the Emtech ZM-2?

      I like the idea of not having to fiddle with the coil settings and using
      only the caps. Besides, the only tuner I have here is the MFG-989C 3KW
      roller inductor tuner. Kind of overkill. Like bringing a tank to a knife
      fight.

      From what I have read of the Emtech, while it is flimsy feeling and
      requires a mod to make the fixed coil more mechanically stable, people
      have had great luck with it for QRP work and it tunes relatively quick
      and people say they it will tune just about ANYTHING!

      There are a few schematics floating around the web that mimic the
      Emtech. I was thinking about putting one together. I think I might have
      the parts plus a nice metal enclosure. They seems simple enough to put
      together.

      I would love to be able to take my SR out with my laptop and sling a
      wire over a tree and tune up and be good to go all with a small amount
      of equipemnt..

      What say you all? Is it worth it or should I just go with a L circuit or
      Pi network tuner?

      I look forward to your thoughts...

      73, cul...
      Bob de k2ki
    • w7qjq
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bruno - K2KI <k2ki@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,

        [snip]

        > I would love to be able to take my SR out with my laptop and sling
        > wire over a tree and tune up and be good to go all with a small
        amount
        > of equipemnt..
        >
        > What say you all? Is it worth it or should I just go with a L
        circuit or
        > Pi network tuner?
        >

        > 73, cul...
        > Bob de k2ki

        Considering what I have used successfully, I would say that simply
        slinging a wire over a tree is not sufficient. Sort of like one
        hand clapping. You need rf current in the primary of the input
        transformer. A wire going to one side of the primary and nothing to
        the other is essentially an open-circuit. A (reasonably) good
        ground to the other side will allow rf current to flow from the
        wire, through the primary and to ground. The more rf current you
        can flow in the primary (longer wire... better ground), the more
        signals you will hear. And, if the antenna is resonant at or near
        the frequency-of-interest....better but not required.

        $0.02

        73, Sid W7QJQ
        Oklahoma
      • James R. Elledge
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7qjq" <sbjknox@...> wrote:

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bruno - K2KI <k2ki@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >

          > [snip]
          >
          > > I would love to be able to take my SR out with my laptop and
          sling
          > > wire over a tree and tune up and be good to go all with a small
          > amount
          > > of equipemnt..
          > >
          > > What say you all? Is it worth it or should I just go with a L
          > circuit or
          > > Pi network tuner?
          > >

          > > 73, cul...
          > > Bob de k2ki
          >
          > Considering what I have used successfully, I would say that simply
          > slinging a wire over a tree is not sufficient. Sort of like one
          > hand clapping. You need rf current in the primary of the input
          > transformer. A wire going to one side of the primary and nothing to
          > the other is essentially an open-circuit. A (reasonably) good
          > ground to the other side will allow rf current to flow from the
          > wire, through the primary and to ground. The more rf current you
          > can flow in the primary (longer wire... better ground), the more
          > signals you will hear. And, if the antenna is resonant at or near
          > the frequency-of-interest....better but not required.
          >
          > $0.02
          >
          > 73, Sid W7QJQ
          > Oklahoma

          However resonant inverted Vees/dipoles and low power can get you on
          the DXCC honor roll, it did for me. Some of my best contacts were
          made with 5W and wires (recent 3Y0 w/5W, 160M, dipole up 15 ft).
          Also N. Korea in 10M with converted ssb cb. My softrocks work well
          with the same type antennas.

          Jim