Re: [softrock40] Re: Kit shipments as of October 29

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi, Mike. A little more on your license plate issue... it is probably
      worth tracking down the pathway to getting a new plate with the proper
      call sign on it. That, in case you are ever called upon for emergency
      communications in a restricted area. The plates are often used as one
      piece of ID to identify legitimate, amateur radio op traffic into such
      an area. That is the justification for states offering them as an
      option, aside from the vanity factor.

      You also asked about the issue of 'hands free' communication devices. It
      is probably a good safety habit to use a head set while on the road,
      however, in many states there are exclusions to such legislation you
      reference, which include the use of amateur radio equipment by licensed
      amateurs. This varies from state to state so you will need to check the
      specifics out with your motor vehicle division regulations. The same is
      true with regulations which prohibit the availability of radio receivers
      which can receive public service channels in vehicles. Here in Michigan
      and some other states, if you can document that you are a licensed
      amateur radio op and your equipment is for amateur radio use you you
      have a defense against being cited for offending such a regulation.

      Bruce, K2BET
      -----------------------
      Don Parks wrote:

      > There is some talk here in Alabama of requiring people to have a
      > "hands free" adapter to talk on cell phones in their cars.
      >
      > Would this also apply to ham radio if you had a speaker and a mike?
      >
      > Gordon
      >
      > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Wes Hartman <kc5fgk@...
      > <mailto:kc5fgk@...>> wrote:
      >
      > Depends if you are driving while operating. ;)
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Don Parks" <dpparks99@...>
      > wrote:
      > PS: The U.S. FCC assigned me the call KI4POY, The State of Alabama
      > assigned me the call of K14POY for my car plate. Which call do I use?

      > signature database 3575 (20081031) __________

      > http://www.eset.com
    • Bruce Tanner
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
        Gordon, sorry for addressing my former missive to the wrong person. Not
        sure how that happened but I saw a "Mike" in there some place.... I
        think it was as part of your virtual equipment!:)
        bet