Re: [softrock40] 20W amplifier proposal + update

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
      At 02:38 PM 11/1/2008, you wrote:
      >Hi Folks,
      >
      >My 20W amplifier PCB design is now complete at:
      >
      >http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk
      >
      >Under 'SoftRock System'. The fruits of intense PCB layout work this
      >week! It's designed to integrate with a SR Rx/Tx 6.2 or 6.3.
      >
      >So now the proposal - would anyone like a prototype PCB?
      >
      >Cost of ordering two for my personal prototypes = £39 each. If I can
      >get a promise of 3 people who would like a board (3 + 2 for me) the
      >cost drops to £25 each.
      >
      >Remember they're first issue prototypes that may have bugs, though I'm
      >a fairly experienced layout designer. So anyone interested,
      >particularly from the UK, please email me off-list.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Rob (M0RZF)

      Do you have any experience using the 2SC1173 Power transistor in amplifiers?

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • EB4APL
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
        Rob,

        take a look to www.pcbcart.com.

        Their prices are very good, they are fast and the support is excellent.
        I ordered them small batches of prototype pcb´s a couple of times and
        I´m very satisfied. I am not related to them in other ways as usual.

        73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

        applewiz67 wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > My 20W amplifier PCB design is now complete at:
        >
        > http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk <http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk>
        >
        > Under 'SoftRock System'. The fruits of intense PCB layout work this
        > week! It's designed to integrate with a SR Rx/Tx 6.2 or 6.3.
        >
        > So now the proposal - would anyone like a prototype PCB?
        >
        > Cost of ordering two for my personal prototypes = £39 each. If I can
        > get a promise of 3 people who would like a board (3 + 2 for me) the
        > cost drops to £25 each.
        >
        > Remember they're first issue prototypes that may have bugs, though I'm
        > a fairly experienced layout designer. So anyone interested,
        > particularly from the UK, please email me off-list.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rob (M0RZF)
        >
        > __
      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
          EB4APL wrote:
          > Rob,
          >
          > take a look to www.pcbcart.com.
          >
          > Their prices are very good, they are fast and the support is excellent.
          > I ordered them small batches of prototype pcb´s a couple of times and
          > I´m very satisfied. I am not related to them in other ways as usual.
          >
          > 73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

          It's the policies here that are the problem, switching to Google would
          not make any difference. At least we don't get much.

          --
          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
          < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

        • Rob Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
            Thanks,

            But I toted up the cost and PCB cart only come out slightly cheaper.
            I'd rather pay a few extra £'s for UK stock than made in China... my
            firm bought some Chinese boards and the PTHs were bad. Hasten to add
            they didn't come from PCB cart though.

            -Rob (M0RZF)

            /**************************
            Sorry for any missed emails
            95% of email is now spam!!!
            **************************/
          • cesco12342000
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
              > I'd rather pay a few extra £'s for UK stock than made in China...

              I think the project is intresting, but the price of 25 brit-$ (must be
              50$) for the pcb-only is a little high. Getting all the parts to poulate
              the board would be difficult and expensive here.

              How about offering a kit with pcb and all parts for a reasonable price ?
              Im quite shure you would sell some. Your design promises to work much
              better than the irf510 kits, and it has the bp-filers integrated.
            • Rob Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                I will consider offering a kit after first offs.

                PCB cost is due to only ordering 2 boards. If ordering 10 boards it
                would be £16 each ($26). The £ has dropped against the dollar...

                BTW, all parts except for the MOSFETs and the binocular cores are
                available from Newark.

                Sorry Cecil, I'm not designing with obsolete parts!

                73, Rob -M0RZF-

                /**************************
                Sorry for any missed emails
                95% of email is now spam!!!
              • k5nwa
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                  At 05:18 PM 11/3/2008, you wrote:

                  >Sorry Cecil, I'm not designing with obsolete parts!
                  >
                  >73, Rob -M0RZF-

                  I didn't ask you to design anything with it, I asked if anyone had
                  (past tense).

                  So what transistor would you recommend for a 40 to 50 watt linear
                  amplifier that cost less than $2 for a pair and can be readily found?