20W amplifier proposal + update

  • applewiz67
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      My 20W amplifier PCB design is now complete at:

      http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk

      Under 'SoftRock System'. The fruits of intense PCB layout work this
      week! It's designed to integrate with a SR Rx/Tx 6.2 or 6.3.

      So now the proposal - would anyone like a prototype PCB?

      Cost of ordering two for my personal prototypes = £39 each. If I can
      get a promise of 3 people who would like a board (3 + 2 for me) the
      cost drops to £25 each.

      Remember they're first issue prototypes that may have bugs, though I'm
      a fairly experienced layout designer. So anyone interested,
      particularly from the UK, please email me off-list.

      Thanks,
      Rob (M0RZF)
    • k5nwa
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
        At 02:38 PM 11/1/2008, you wrote:
        >Hi Folks,
        >
        >My 20W amplifier PCB design is now complete at:
        >
        >http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk
        >
        >Under 'SoftRock System'. The fruits of intense PCB layout work this
        >week! It's designed to integrate with a SR Rx/Tx 6.2 or 6.3.
        >
        >So now the proposal - would anyone like a prototype PCB?
        >
        >Cost of ordering two for my personal prototypes = £39 each. If I can
        >get a promise of 3 people who would like a board (3 + 2 for me) the
        >cost drops to £25 each.
        >
        >Remember they're first issue prototypes that may have bugs, though I'm
        >a fairly experienced layout designer. So anyone interested,
        >particularly from the UK, please email me off-list.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Rob (M0RZF)

        Do you have any experience using the 2SC1173 Power transistor in amplifiers?

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

      • EB4APL
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
          Rob,

          take a look to www.pcbcart.com.

          Their prices are very good, they are fast and the support is excellent.
          I ordered them small batches of prototype pcb´s a couple of times and
          I´m very satisfied. I am not related to them in other ways as usual.

          73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

          applewiz67 wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > My 20W amplifier PCB design is now complete at:
          >
          > http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk <http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk>
          >
          > Under 'SoftRock System'. The fruits of intense PCB layout work this
          > week! It's designed to integrate with a SR Rx/Tx 6.2 or 6.3.
          >
          > So now the proposal - would anyone like a prototype PCB?
          >
          > Cost of ordering two for my personal prototypes = £39 each. If I can
          > get a promise of 3 people who would like a board (3 + 2 for me) the
          > cost drops to £25 each.
          >
          > Remember they're first issue prototypes that may have bugs, though I'm
          > a fairly experienced layout designer. So anyone interested,
          > particularly from the UK, please email me off-list.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rob (M0RZF)
          >
          > __
        • k5nwa
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
            EB4APL wrote:
            > Rob,
            >
            > take a look to www.pcbcart.com.
            >
            > Their prices are very good, they are fast and the support is excellent.
            > I ordered them small batches of prototype pcb´s a couple of times and
            > I´m very satisfied. I am not related to them in other ways as usual.
            >
            > 73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

            It's the policies here that are the problem, switching to Google would
            not make any difference. At least we don't get much.

            --
            Cecil
            K5NWA
            www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
            < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >

          • Rob Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
              Thanks,

              But I toted up the cost and PCB cart only come out slightly cheaper.
              I'd rather pay a few extra £'s for UK stock than made in China... my
              firm bought some Chinese boards and the PTHs were bad. Hasten to add
              they didn't come from PCB cart though.

              -Rob (M0RZF)

              /**************************
              Sorry for any missed emails
              95% of email is now spam!!!
              **************************/
            • cesco12342000
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                > I'd rather pay a few extra £'s for UK stock than made in China...

                I think the project is intresting, but the price of 25 brit-$ (must be
                50$) for the pcb-only is a little high. Getting all the parts to poulate
                the board would be difficult and expensive here.

                How about offering a kit with pcb and all parts for a reasonable price ?
                Im quite shure you would sell some. Your design promises to work much
                better than the irf510 kits, and it has the bp-filers integrated.
              • Rob Brown
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                  I will consider offering a kit after first offs.

                  PCB cost is due to only ordering 2 boards. If ordering 10 boards it
                  would be £16 each ($26). The £ has dropped against the dollar...

                  BTW, all parts except for the MOSFETs and the binocular cores are
                  available from Newark.

                  Sorry Cecil, I'm not designing with obsolete parts!

                  73, Rob -M0RZF-

                  /**************************
                  Sorry for any missed emails
                  95% of email is now spam!!!
                • k5nwa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                    At 05:18 PM 11/3/2008, you wrote:

                    >Sorry Cecil, I'm not designing with obsolete parts!
                    >
                    >73, Rob -M0RZF-

                    I didn't ask you to design anything with it, I asked if anyone had
                    (past tense).

                    So what transistor would you recommend for a 40 to 50 watt linear
                    amplifier that cost less than $2 for a pair and can be readily found?