Re: Kit shipments as of October 29

  • Wes Hartman
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
      Depends if you are driving while operating. ;)

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don Parks" <dpparks99@...> wrote:
      PS: The U.S. FCC assigned me the call KI4POY, The State of Alabama
      assigned me the call of K14POY for my car plate. Which call do I use?
    • Don Parks
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
        There is some talk here in Alabama of requiring people to have a
        "hands free" adapter to talk on cell phones in their cars.

        Would this also apply to ham radio if you had a speaker and a mike?

        Gordon

        On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Wes Hartman <kc5fgk@...> wrote:

        Depends if you are driving while operating. ;)

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don Parks" <dpparks99@...> wrote:
        PS: The U.S. FCC assigned me the call KI4POY, The State of Alabama
        assigned me the call of K14POY for my car plate. Which call do I use?

      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi, Mike. A little more on your license plate issue... it is probably
          worth tracking down the pathway to getting a new plate with the proper
          call sign on it. That, in case you are ever called upon for emergency
          communications in a restricted area. The plates are often used as one
          piece of ID to identify legitimate, amateur radio op traffic into such
          an area. That is the justification for states offering them as an
          option, aside from the vanity factor.

          You also asked about the issue of 'hands free' communication devices. It
          is probably a good safety habit to use a head set while on the road,
          however, in many states there are exclusions to such legislation you
          reference, which include the use of amateur radio equipment by licensed
          amateurs. This varies from state to state so you will need to check the
          specifics out with your motor vehicle division regulations. The same is
          true with regulations which prohibit the availability of radio receivers
          which can receive public service channels in vehicles. Here in Michigan
          and some other states, if you can document that you are a licensed
          amateur radio op and your equipment is for amateur radio use you you
          have a defense against being cited for offending such a regulation.

          Bruce, K2BET
          -----------------------
          Don Parks wrote:

          > There is some talk here in Alabama of requiring people to have a
          > "hands free" adapter to talk on cell phones in their cars.
          >
          > Would this also apply to ham radio if you had a speaker and a mike?
          >
          > Gordon
          >
          > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Wes Hartman <kc5fgk@...
          > <mailto:kc5fgk@...>> wrote:
          >
          > Depends if you are driving while operating. ;)
          >

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Don Parks" <dpparks99@...>
          > wrote:
          > PS: The U.S. FCC assigned me the call KI4POY, The State of Alabama
          > assigned me the call of K14POY for my car plate. Which call do I use?

          > signature database 3575 (20081031) __________

          > http://www.eset.com
        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2008
            Gordon, sorry for addressing my former missive to the wrong person. Not
            sure how that happened but I saw a "Mike" in there some place.... I
            think it was as part of your virtual equipment!:)
            bet