Re: Help needed - was USB controller - solution maybe, works on mine.

  • dickwmsinnc
    Message 1 of 90 , Nov 1, 2008
      I'm using the USB I2C interface with a Lite+Xtal v8.3 and frequently
      loose the connection with the synthesizer. I then need to resart the
      computer to recover the connection.

      Do you think this change in the zener diodes migh help this situation?

      73 - Dick, W3OA

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

      > Good Morning All,
      >
      > Twenty additional v9.0 Lite + USB Xtall kits are packed for mailing
      today, October 31.

      > Each of these kits is packed with two each of the BZY55 3.3 volt
      and 3.6 volt zener diodes in place of the two 1N5227B zener diodes
      for the D2 and D3 locations.

      > I would try the 3.6 volts zener pair for D2 and D3 first, (marked
      on the glass body with 3V6), and if you still have USB communications
      reliability problems then go to the 3.3 volt zener pair.

      > I will continue to ship v9.0 kits with two each of the two zeners
      until the USB communication issue is put to rest.

      > All requests for the pairs of 3.3 volt and 3.6 volt zeners are also
      packed for mailing today.

      > Thanks and 73,
      > Tony KB9YIG

      V9
      > and SDR-Kits USB Synthesizer).
      > Two scenarios may be of interest:
      >
      > a) USB voltage too high causing USB Port shutdown.
      >
      > There is evidence that some (newer - latest) laptops may shut
      down
      > the USB port down if the USB Voltage from the AVR is a little
      high.

      > One example investigated by Alan MOPUB in our team was caused
      because
      > USB D3 was limited to 3.85V. When the BZY55 3V6 zener was
      replaced
      > and the voltage reduced the USB link was functioning ok.
      > Please note that an modification has been posted for V1.1 PCB of
      the
      > SDR-Kits Synthesizer to ground Zener diode D3. see.
      > http://sdr-kits.net/hiddentest/index_files/FB3.pdf
      >
      > b) USB voltage too low - possibly intermittent USB operation:
      > Whilst investigating a) it was found that the 1N5227B Zener used
      in
      > the Softrock V9 could limit the USB Voltage to a rather low
      value.
      > Although the 1N5227B zener is rated at 3.6V, we have measured
      > voltages as low as 2.5V on the Softrock V9, which could be the
      reason
      > why the V9 USB interface is NOT recognized by some Computers
      whilst
      > there is no problem recognizing the QRP2000 Synthesizer on the
      same
      > PC.
      > If you have this problem, I suggest try changing the zenerdiodes
      > BZY55 3V3 types. Please let us know whether this resolves this
      > particular issue.
      >
      > Tony and I are reviewing together the choice of zener for future
      kits.
      > The BZY55 specification is 3.6V nominally at 5mA versus 1N5227B
      > needing 20mA at 3.6V.
      >
      > Only few issues have been reported with USB interface in the
      Softrock
      > V9 and the SDR-Kits usb synthesizers, considering that many
      hundreds
      > have been shipped over the past months. I hope that this info
      will
      > help to resolve the few issues which have been reported.
      >
      > Thanks and 73s
      >
      > Jan G0BBL - QRP2000 Design
      > http://www.SDR-Kits.net

    • gw8lxo
      Message 90 of 90 , Nov 13, 2008
        Yay Charles! I think everybody feels good when a co-conspirator fixes
        their problem on the list.

        Since we are all owning up... I did exactly the same thing, and Ahem,
        assumed that ground was pin 4, hence the question! :)

        MIke