Re: Announcement for PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.02 with support for USB to I2C interface

  • ronenp4
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi Christos
      Thank you for the Software
      It work on the Softrock V9 I have and the USB I2C
      But there is a problem
      Unlike the Power SDR Software i use
      this software change the VCO freq every time i tune the band
      so while tunning the bant I hear a very strong Switching noisse
      that come from the VCO change frequency
      (the power SDR i use is one that tune the VCO only when it reaches
      the side of the soundcard frequency so in 48KC Soundcard it is only
      every 20 KC)
      I dont know if there is a solution for that
      but just for knowlage
      this make a problem to tune on the band because it cover every signal
      but for stady frequency its ok and the VAC option is an advantage
      but i havnt checked it yet
      Best Regards
      Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
      http://www.ronen.org

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > The USB to I2C support is here with the PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.02.
      > This new version has the USB to I2C interface supported since many
      > have requested it, so now all Softrocks v9 and USB Synth.kits are
      > accessible and can be controlled by the application.
      >
      > You can download it from
      > -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
      >
      > Check also the user group for any enquiries
      > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/
      >

      > To recap some major features this version has embeded
      >
      > .Normal SDR1K frequency handling with scrollable panadapter or
      > waterfall and Tx on DC so no images are present during Tx for SSB
      and
      > CW modes.
      > .Separate I/Q phase and gain adjustments for Rx and Tx per each band
      > so image calibration is optimum whenever the band is changed.
      > PowerSDR-IQ memorizes each setting while you are on the band and
      > recalls it upon selecting it again.
      > .Si570 support for near spurious free operation and provision for
      > smooth real VFO tuning
      > .User configurable LPF or BPF selection lines, 6 of them, either
      from
      > LPT or from HSUSB interface
      > .Sound Card samples correction for up to +/-32 samples
      > .A VAC alternative for some applications from HB9TLK named as 'Loop'
      >
      > Supported interfaces so far are
      > .LPT
      > .HSUSB (CY7C68013A WB6DHW)
      > .USB to I2C (ATTiny DG8SAQ)
      > .ExtIO dll for PMSDR (IW3AUT)
      >

      > This bundle of features are of course additional to the huge volume
      of
      > features that PowerSDR v1.12.0 has of its own like all modes
      > supported, recording, digital modes, PortAudio to support all sound
      > cards, multiple choices of screen presentation and a myriad more.
      >

      > I hope that you will enjoy it.
      >

      > 73,
      > Christos SV1EIA

    • Christos Nikolaou
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi Ronen,

        First let me tell you something about the continuous tuning.
        There are elementary differences in the way LO is handled from the
        previous programs that you used to the PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.03.
        The other programs do not follow the VFO frequency with the Si570 and
        use the bandwidth of the soundcard to create the illusion of tuning.
        This is not happening in PowerSDR-IQ for a reason and that is for
        proper Tx behaviour on SSB and CW. You can see relevant posts on
        PowerSDR-IQ group and also Eric's post on
        http://www.sarl.org.za/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=925&whichpage=21 .
        Needless the say that this is real Flex way of Tx and it solves many
        problem like easy conformance to ITU regulations.
        This continuous tuning though creates the Si570 artifacts, whereas by
        using the USB to I2C interface are existent but not existent with LPT
        and HSUSB interfaces.
        That happens because I have not applied yet the 'smooth' 2000ppm
        tuning algorhythm on USBtoI2C as is already applied it to the others.
        Just a couple of days ago I got the interface from Tony and the first
        version of the software supporting it was on the same day.
        Now the learning curve for me on this interface has reached a good
        point and on the next version I will include the 2000ppm smooth Si570
        tuning to the USB to I2C.

        73,
        Christos SV1EIA

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ronenp4" <ronen@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christos
        > Thank you for the Software
        > It work on the Softrock V9 I have and the USB I2C
        > But there is a problem
        > Unlike the Power SDR Software i use
        > this software change the VCO freq every time i tune the band
        > so while tunning the bant I hear a very strong Switching noisse
        > that come from the VCO change frequency
        > (the power SDR i use is one that tune the VCO only when it reaches
        > the side of the soundcard frequency so in 48KC Soundcard it is only
        > every 20 KC)
        > I dont know if there is a solution for that
        > but just for knowlage
        > this make a problem to tune on the band because it cover every signal
        > but for stady frequency its ok and the VAC option is an advantage
        > but i havnt checked it yet
        > Best Regards
        > Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
        > http://www.ronen.org
        >

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear All,
        > >
        > > The USB to I2C support is here with the PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.02.
        > > This new version has the USB to I2C interface supported since many
        > > have requested it, so now all Softrocks v9 and USB Synth.kits are
        > > accessible and can be controlled by the application.
        > >
        > > You can download it from
        > > -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
        > >
        > > Check also the user group for any enquiries
        > > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/
        > >

        > > To recap some major features this version has embeded
        > >
        > > .Normal SDR1K frequency handling with scrollable panadapter or
        > > waterfall and Tx on DC so no images are present during Tx for SSB
        > and
        > > CW modes.
        > > .Separate I/Q phase and gain adjustments for Rx and Tx per each band
        > > so image calibration is optimum whenever the band is changed.
        > > PowerSDR-IQ memorizes each setting while you are on the band and
        > > recalls it upon selecting it again.
        > > .Si570 support for near spurious free operation and provision for
        > > smooth real VFO tuning
        > > .User configurable LPF or BPF selection lines, 6 of them, either
        > from
        > > LPT or from HSUSB interface
        > > .Sound Card samples correction for up to +/-32 samples
        > > .A VAC alternative for some applications from HB9TLK named as 'Loop'
        > >
        > > Supported interfaces so far are
        > > .LPT
        > > .HSUSB (CY7C68013A WB6DHW)
        > > .USB to I2C (ATTiny DG8SAQ)
        > > .ExtIO dll for PMSDR (IW3AUT)
        > >

        > > This bundle of features are of course additional to the huge volume
        > of
        > > features that PowerSDR v1.12.0 has of its own like all modes
        > > supported, recording, digital modes, PortAudio to support all sound
        > > cards, multiple choices of screen presentation and a myriad more.
        > >

        > > I hope that you will enjoy it.
        > >

        > > 73,
        > > Christos SV1EIA

      • ronenp4
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi Christos
          Thank you for your Quick prompt and for the explain
          Of course i prefer that the VCO will follow the frequency while
          tunning the band and not the system that the old PowerSDR was working
          so i understand you are aware of the problem ,
          i will wait paitianly to the next version and the smooth VCO fix
          Thanks for your effort
          Regard