Re: [softrock40] Re: ExpressCard SB X-Fi vs USB 2.0

  • Mark J. Dulcey
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
      sailingto wrote:

      > Question: what do Amazon feedback tend to be lower than Ebay?

      Because the Amazon feedback system is more honest.

      eBay feedback is fundamentally broken, because the sellers also get to
      rate the buyers. On the surface that might sound like a good thing, but
      in practice it means that buyers don't dare give negative feedback
      ratings to sellers. Most buyers get a lot fewer ratings than big sellers
      do; one negative rating could be death to a buyer (some sellers won't
      take orders from you if you don't have a clean record), while one
      negative rating doesn't mean much to a seller with 10,000 ratings.

      The Amazon system doesn't give sellers the power to rate buyers. As a
      result, the buyers are free to give honest answers, and they do.
    • k5nwa
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
        At 01:32 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
        sailingto wrote:

        > Question: what do Amazon feedback tend to be lower than Ebay?

        Because the Amazon feedback system is more honest.

        eBay feedback is fundamentally broken, because the sellers also get to
        rate the buyers. On the surface that might sound like a good thing, but
        in practice it means that buyers don't dare give negative feedback
        ratings to sellers. Most buyers get a lot fewer ratings than big sellers
        do; one negative rating could be death to a buyer (some sellers won't
        take orders from you if you don't have a clean record), while one
        negative rating doesn't mean much to a seller with 10,000 ratings.

        The Amazon system doesn't give sellers the power to rate buyers. As a
        result, the buyers are free to give honest answers, and they do.

        ------------------------------------
        + eBay doesn't always stand behind their guarantee to make good if there is something wrong.

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

      • Tim O'Rourke
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
          Got my E-MU0202 from Amazon in 2 days, I believe $89 delivered.
          It is at least as good as SB24 but I can not really test it past 48K
          until new PC arrives. Been trying to buy one from IBM but as soon as
          I order they are out of stock! You can look at some of previous posts
          on setting up the E-MU.
          Tim W4YN

          - In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

          > At 10:51 AM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
          > >Take a look at the E-MU 0202 - this unit sells for around $100 on
          ebay.

          > >http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?
          > >category=610&subcategory=611&product=15186
          > >
          > >Tell us what you think. is it worth the money? OR better for a
          > >ExpressCard?
          > >
          > >73 de Ken H. K9FV
          > >
          > >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller" <jim@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I've yet to see any USB2.0 sound devices. USB1.1 is all I've
          seen.

          > > > USB2.0 has a nominal bandwidth of 480Mbits/sec or 60Mbytes/sec.
          That's
          > > > obviously plenty of bandwidth for any audio use even after
          framing
          > >and other
          > > > overheads.
          > > >
          > > > jim ab3cv
          > > >

          > $90 and Amazon is a lot more reliable than eBay
          > <
          > http://www.amazon.com/E-MU-0202USB-2-0-Audio-
          interface/dp/B000IXLH6K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
          ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222704770&sr=8-1

          > Cecil
          > K5NWA
          > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
          >
          > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

        • Reid Bishop
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
            From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On
            Behalf Of Mark J. Dulcey

            >> Because the Amazon feedback system is more honest.
            >> eBay feedback is fundamentally broken, because the sellers also get to
            >> rate the buyers. On the surface that might sound like a good thing, but
            >> in practice it means that buyers don't dare give negative feedback
            >> ratings to sellers. Most buyers get a lot fewer ratings than big sellers
            >> do; one negative rating could be death to a buyer (some sellers won't
            >> take orders from you if you don't have a clean record), while one
            >> negative rating doesn't mean much to a seller with 10,000 ratings.

            Not true any longer- with a policy that went into effect in January, Ebay
            sellers are no longer allowed to give negative feedback to buyers. This
            helps prevent retaliation from sellers when they get hit with a negative
            feedback. In return, buyers are blocked from leaving negative feedback for
            7 days against sellers with a track record. This is a much fairer and
            objective system than it used to be, IMHO.

            -Reid-
            W0CNN
          • adam_oleszczuk
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tim O'Rourke" <w4yn@...> wrote:

              > Got my E-MU0202 from Amazon in 2 days, I believe $89 delivered.
              > It is at least as good as SB24 but I can not really test it past 48K
              > until new PC arrives. Been trying to buy one from IBM but as soon as
              > I order they are out of stock! You can look at some of previous posts
              > on setting up the E-MU.
              > Tim W4YN
              >
              > - In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@> wrote:
              > >
              > > At 10:51 AM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
              > > >Take a look at the E-MU 0202 - this unit sells for around $100 on
              > ebay.
              > > >
              > > >http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?
              > > >category=610&subcategory=611&product=15186
              > > >
              > > >Tell us what you think. is it worth the money? OR better for a
              > > >ExpressCard?
              > > >
              > > >73 de Ken H. K9FV

              > seen.

              > That's
              > framing
              > > >and other

              > > $90 and Amazon is a lot more reliable than eBay
              > > <
              > > http://www.amazon.com/E-MU-0202USB-2-0-Audio-
              > interface/dp/B000IXLH6K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
              > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222704770&sr=8-1
              > > >

              > > Cecil
              > > K5NWA
              > > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
              > >
              > > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

              HI
              I'd like to start to transmit too with v6.3. I disconnected on-board
              sound card (in BIOS) next I put to the slot PCI, Creative SB Audigy
              SE. Receiver working without any problems.Now I'm really hard
              interesting what to do? Put another card to the slot, change this card
              for 4 line-in or use E-M0202.All of this options are coasted. So I'd
              love to know wich way are the best.Any suggestions will be very nice
              for me!!!
              Adam
              SQ5OBR
            • Jose Bonanca
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                Adam,

                You can use you sound card in the motherboard to received audio and program the SB
                to LINE IN and LIN OUT for receiving and TXing

                So enable your on board card and use it as default to windows...

                Thats what I am using. Don't need to be spending much for the softrock.

                73's

                --
                Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
              • adam_oleszczuk
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jose Bonanca" <jbct1aos@...> wrote:

                  > Adam,
                  >

                  > You can use you sound card in the motherboard to received audio and
                  program
                  > the SB
                  > to LINE IN and LIN OUT for receiving and TXing
                  >
                  > So enable your on board card and use it as default to windows...
                  >
                  > Thats what I am using. Don't need to be spending much for the softrock.
                  >
                  > 73's
                  >

                  > On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:41 AM, adam_oleszczuk
                  <adam.oleszczuk@...>wrote:

                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                  <softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tim
                  > > O'Rourke" <w4yn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Got my E-MU0202 from Amazon in 2 days, I believe $89 delivered.
                  > > > It is at least as good as SB24 but I can not really test it past 48K
                  > > > until new PC arrives. Been trying to buy one from IBM but as soon as
                  > > > I order they are out of stock! You can look at some of previous
                  posts
                  > > > on setting up the E-MU.
                  > > > Tim W4YN
                  > > >
                  > > > - In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  k5nwa

                  > > > ebay.

                  > > > seen.

                  > > > That's
                  > > > framing

                  > > > interface/dp/B000IXLH6K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
                  > > > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222704770&sr=8-1

                  > > HI
                  > > I'd like to start to transmit too with v6.3. I disconnected on-board
                  > > sound card (in BIOS) next I put to the slot PCI, Creative SB Audigy
                  > > SE. Receiver working without any problems.Now I'm really hard
                  > > interesting what to do? Put another card to the slot, change this card
                  > > for 4 line-in or use E-M0202.All of this options are coasted. So I'd
                  > > love to know which way are the best.Any suggestions will be very nice
                  > > for me!!!
                  > > Adam
                  > > SQ5OBR
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)

                  Many many thanks for your answer.Just for to be sure I'd like to ask
                  you about programming SB card. You think about settings in SoftRock ?
                  Adam, SQ5OBR
                • Jose Bonanca
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                    You may use 24 bit 96 KHz this you set in ROCKY  .
                    then select input to SB in and TX in OUT from sb....for the audio yoou select your on board card.

                    There is no other programming at the SB except that , if it is the case you should set you line to line in only not to "what you hear".

                    Is this clear ??

                     see u then

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jose Bonanca" <jbct1aos@...> wrote:

                      > You may use 24 bit 96 KHz this you set in ROCKY .
                      > then select input to SB in and TX in OUT from sb....for the audio yoou
                      > select your on board card.
                      >

                      > There is no other programming at the SB except that , if it is the
                      case you
                      > should set you line to line in only not to "what you hear".
                      >
                      > Is this clear ??
                      >

                      > see u then
                      >

                      > On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:28 AM, adam_oleszczuk
                      <adam.oleszczuk@...>wrote:

                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                      <softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jose
                      > > Bonanca" <jbct1aos@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Adam,
                      > > >

                      > > > You can use you sound card in the motherboard to received audio and
                      > > program
                      > > > the SB
                      > > > to LINE IN and LIN OUT for receiving and TXing
                      > > >
                      > > > So enable your on board card and use it as default to windows...
                      > > >
                      > > > Thats what I am using. Don't need to be spending much for the
                      softrock.

                      > > > 73's

                      > > <softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tim

                      > > posts

                      <softrock40%40yahoogroups.com><softrock40%

                    • Ray
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                        Good point Adam - Most cards and on board sound (as long as it is stereo) will do at least 48K  display and that is pretty respectable window for most purposes.  However it seems natural to push the limit for most folks doing Softrocks.  For me 48K is plenty and I certanly don't have the need to spend big bucks just to say I have 192K on the panadapter.   As someone has already pointed out with the new breed softrocks/software and the SI570 frequency agile source there is little need for wide panadapters.

                        So if I have a computer with a 48K SB the guy on the other end won't be able to tell.  I have a 756PRO and 99% of the time I keep it set for +/- 12.5K once in a great while I might go for more but that is very, very rare.

                        I expect that we will see another generation of SDR with a  FPGA (or possibly a vendor DSP) that will cover the mystical range of 192Khz and even more.  That would be the ideal solution as opposed to the endless hunt for the "BEST" soundcard.

                        73, Ray, N0FY

                        You can use you sound card in the motherboard to received audio and program the SB
                        to LINE IN and LIN OUT for receiving and TXing

                        So enable your on board card and use it as default to windows...

                        Thats what I am using. Don't need to be spending much for the softrock.

                        73's

                        On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:41 AM, adam_oleszczuk <adam.oleszczuk@...> wrote:

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tim O'Rourke" <w4yn@...> wrote:

                        > Got my E-MU0202 from Amazon in 2 days, I believe $89 delivered.
                        > It is at least as good as SB24 but I can not really test it past 48K
                        > until new PC arrives. Been trying to buy one from IBM but as soon as
                        > I order they are out of stock! You can look at some of previous posts
                        > on setting up the E-MU.
                        > Tim W4YN
                        >
                        > - In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > At 10:51 AM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                        > > >Take a look at the E-MU 0202 - this unit sells for around $100 on
                        > ebay.
                        > > >
                        > > >http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?
                        > > >category=610&subcategory=611&product=15186
                        > > >
                        > > >Tell us what you think. is it worth the money? OR better for a
                        > > >ExpressCard?
                        > > >
                        > > >73 de Ken H. K9FV

                        > seen.

                        > That's
                        > framing
                        > > >and other

                        > > $90 and Amazon is a lot more reliable than eBay
                        > > <
                        > > http://www.amazon.com/E-MU-0202USB-2-0-Audio-
                        > interface/dp/B000IXLH6K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
                        > ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222704770&sr=8-1
                        > > >

                        > > Cecil
                        > > K5NWA
                        > > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                        > >
                        > > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

                        HI
                        I'd like to start to transmit too with v6.3. I disconnected on-board
                        sound card (in BIOS) next I put to the slot PCI, Creative SB Audigy
                        SE. Receiver working without any problems.Now I'm really hard
                        interesting what to do? Put another card to the slot, change this card
                        for 4 line-in or use E-M0202.All of this options are coasted. So I'd
                        love to know wich way are the best.Any suggestions will be very nice
                        for me!!!
                        Adam
                        SQ5OBR

                        --
                        Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
                      • Matt Lawrence
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 6, 2008
                          On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Ray wrote:

                          > I expect that we will see another generation of SDR with a FPGA (or
                          > possibly a vendor DSP) that will cover the mystical range of 192Khz and even
                          > more. That would be the ideal solution as opposed to the endless hunt for
                          > the "BEST" soundcard.

                          Have you looked at hpsdr.org?

                          -- Matt
                          It's not what I know that counts.
                        • Phil Covington
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <N0FY@...> wrote:

                            > I expect that we will see another generation of SDR with a FPGA (or
                            > possibly a vendor DSP) that will cover the mystical range of 192Khz
                            and even
                            > more. That would be the ideal solution as opposed to the endless
                            hunt for
                            > the "BEST" soundcard.
                            >
                            > 73, Ray, N0FY

                            That future is NOW. How about a range of 50 MHz? With the QS1R
                            Receiver and SDRMAXII software you can set the panadapter bandwidth to
                            see from 12 kHz up to 50 MHz on the fly. See http://www.srl-llc.com

                            There is a yahoo group with screen shots at:

                            There's also a screen shot of SDRMAXII displaying a 50 MHz bandwidth
                            in the October 2008 QST on page 94.
                            Regards,

                            Phil N8VB
                            --
                            Phil Covington
                            Software Radio Laboratory LLC
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 7, 2008
                              Yes I have seen this site and I know it can be done but I am thinking
                              something more along the lines of a homebrew SOFTROCK for those of us that
                              like to roll-our-own and on the cheap.

                              Ray