Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard

  • sailingto
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
      See below:

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

      > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
      >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
      >not work by design rather than a bug.

      Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" - do
      you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
      cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
      is seen on my system.

      Thanks for any guidance and info.

      73 de Ken H> K9FV

      > On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input
      plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see
      both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If
      you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would
      use the line for stereo.
      > Just a guess.
      >
      > My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at
      the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.

      > 73, Tom KM5H

    • Jim Campbell
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
        Ken,

        I believe that the answer to your question is "yes". The model number
        is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago. It
        isn't a card - it is an external box connected to the laptop by a USB cable.

        73,

        Jim - W4BQP

        sailingto wrote:

        > Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
        > Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
        > This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?
        >
        > Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
        > doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
        > working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.
        >
        > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
        > problems
        > > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
        > >
        > > Jim - W4BQP
        > >
        > > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Yea.......
        > > >
        > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
        > > > Laptop ?????
        > > > Desktop ?????
        > > >
        > > > John H. Long Jr.
        > > > KW7A
        > > > PO Box 567
        > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
        > > > USA

      • sailingto
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
          Yea, I see where I wrote "card" while I was thinking USB external
          card. The soundcard seems to be about the same price now. Seems like
          the SB Live! 24 is around $50 or so now.

          The ExpressCard is perhaps $85, and the Emu0202 that is USB 2.0 is
          about $100 or so.

          As this project progresses, I "can" swing either of the cards - I
          can "talk" myself into paying $100 for a GOOD soundcard that will
          actually improve the SDR and allow me to transmit also.... BUT I
          sure like the sound of $50 better {grinning - I've never been
          called "Diamond Jim", more like Scrooge).

          I have a bit of time before buying any card - I've about decided to
          order the V9.0 kit next (on Tony's and several others advice) and
          can "get by" with my internal card with Winrad.

          73 de Ken H. K9FV

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:

          > Ken,
          >
          > I believe that the answer to your question is "yes". The model
          number
          > is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago.
          It
          > isn't a card - it is an external box connected to the laptop by a
          USB cable.

          > 73,
          >
          > Jim - W4BQP
          >
          > sailingto wrote:
          > >
          > > Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
          > > Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24
          USB?
          > > This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?
          > >
          > > Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
          > > doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
          > > working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2
          RX.

          > > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
          > >
          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Campbell <jim_c@>
          wrote:

          > > > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
          > > problems
          > > > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
          > > >
          > > > Jim - W4BQP

        • Pete
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sailingto" <sailingto@...> wrote:

            > See below:
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@> wrote:
            >
            > > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
            > >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
            > >not work by design rather than a bug.
            >
            > Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" -
            do
            > you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
            > cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
            > is seen on my system.
            >
            > Thanks for any guidance and info.
            >
            > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
            >
            > > On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input
            > plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see
            > both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If
            > you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would
            > use the line for stereo.
            > > Just a guess.
            > >
            > > My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at
            > the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.
            > >
            > > 73, Tom KM5H

          • Falls, Jim
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008

              Good ol’ Vista.............won’t talk to nuttin’.

              I think I’ll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz). Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

              My PDA is backed up on the laptop as well because Vista doesn’t see the device (I have spent WAY too much on the Palm help group site trying to finagle this). They really couldn’t care less.

              General opinion is to toss everything you own and go with Vista compatible gear. Besides, if it’s not Vista compatible, what use is it really? Thank-you Mr. Gates.........

              Not built-in obsolescence, mandatory obsolescence.

              Jim Falls

              KG6FWT

              Eureka, CA

            • k5nwa
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                At 01:13 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to nuttin'.
                >
                >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

                And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as Vista r1.2

                Cecil
                K5NWA
                www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

              • Tom Hoflich
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                  > >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to
                  > nuttin'.
                  > >
                  > >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop
                  > (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                  > >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of
                  > SoftRock.
                  > >

                  > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                  > Vista r1.2
                  >

                  > Cecil
                  > K5NWA

                  Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?

                  Actually I like Vista very much.

                  73, Tom KM5H
                • k5nwa
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    At 02:23 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                    >--- On Thu, 10/2/08, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > From: k5nwa <k5nwa@...>
                    > >
                    > > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                    > > Vista r1.2
                    > >
                    > > Cecil
                    > > K5NWA
                    > >

                    >Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?
                    >
                    >Actually I like Vista very much.
                    >
                    >73, Tom KM5H

                    I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I like Vista, that is until you have
                    to start dealing with oddball hardware (by their definition) and
                    drivers, then it's no fun.

                    I been having hardware issues with my Vista machine otherwise I
                    wanted to play the SDR software game with it and see what is up. It's
                    better behaved now, and today I'm supposed to get 4GB of RAM for it
                    to replace the existing RAM and see if that settles it down for good,
                    hopefully in time to play with it this weekend.

                    Computers are evil.