Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard

Expand Messages
  • sailingto
    Jim, is your card the same as the External Creative Soundblaster Live 24-bit Sound Card - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB? This is a USB card -
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
      Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
      Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
      This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?

      Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
      doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
      working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.

      73 de Ken H> K9FV

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:
      >
      > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
      problems
      > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
      >
      > Jim - W4BQP
      >
      > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
      > >
      > > Yea.......
      > >
      > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
      > > Laptop ?????
      > > Desktop ?????
      > >
      > > John H. Long Jr.
      > > KW7A
      > > PO Box 567
      > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
      > > USA
      > >
      > > -------- Original Message --------
      > > Subject: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA soundcard
      > > From: "sailingto" <sailingto@... <mailto:sailingto%40yahoo.com>>
      > > Date: Wed, October 01, 2008 1:23 pm
      > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%
      40yahoogroups.com>
      > >
      > > Hello, Does anyone use Rocky with VISTA? The only sound card Rocky
      > > will see in my system is the external USB CODEX located in the
      > > SignaLink USB interface - even with it disconnected, Rocky stil
      sees
      > > that one and not the internal RealTek in the notebook.
      > >
      > > Is there a ini file that could be edited? Any ideas?
      > >
      > > Thanks for any and all help,
      > >
      > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
      > >
      > >
      >
    • sailingto
      ... Can you elaborate a bit there? So it does not wokr by design - do you mean any sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal cards on
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
        See below:

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

        > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
        >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
        >not work by design rather than a bug.

        Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" - do
        you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
        cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
        is seen on my system.

        Thanks for any guidance and info.

        73 de Ken H> K9FV

        > On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input
        plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see
        both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If
        you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would
        use the line for stereo.
        > Just a guess.
        >
        > My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at
        the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.
        >
        > 73, Tom KM5H
        >
        >
        > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, sailingto <sailingto@...> wrote:
        >
        > > From: sailingto <sailingto@...>
        > > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard
        > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 3:36 PM
        > > Thanks for the info Tom, but are you saying VISTA requires
        > > VAC for
        > > ROCKY to see the internal sound card for RECEIVE only? Not
        > > trying to
        > > transmit here, just receive only. I was thinking the VAC
        > > software
        > > was for the digital programs (for PSK31, etc) to see the
        > > output of
        > > the internal sound card as if it were input?
        > >
        > > Rocky on has the single CODEX showing in the drop down for
        > > sound card
        > > selection. Seems like it should have at least the internal
        > > card.
        > >
        > > Does the mic input have stereo input? OR only the line-in
        > > is stereo?
        > > I am using the line-in on my Toshiba, didn't think the
        > > mic was
        > > stereo, but didn't test to be sure.
        > >
        > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich
        > > <km5h@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
        > > > You can use your internal sound card if you add
        > > Virtual Audio Cable
        > > (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.
        > > >
        > > > I know of three different $400 laptops that support
        > > stereo input
        > > (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops
        > > that
        > > support Vista.
        > > >
        > > > 73, Tom KM5H
        > > >
        > > > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, John H. Long Jr. <john@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > > From: John H. Long Jr. <john@>
        > > > > Subject: RE: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA
        > > soundcard
        > > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > > > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 2:34 PM
        > > > > Yea.......
        > > > >
        > > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
        > > > > Laptop ?????
        > > > > Desktop ?????
        > > > >
        > > > >
        > > > >
        > > > > John H. Long Jr.
        > > > > KW7A
        > > > > PO Box 567
        > > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
        > > > > USA
        > > > >
        > > > >
        > > > > -------- Original Message --------
        > > > > Subject: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA soundcard
        > > > > From: "sailingto" <sailingto@>
        > > > > Date: Wed, October 01, 2008 1:23 pm
        > > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > > > >
        > > > > Hello, Does anyone use Rocky with VISTA? The only
        > > sound
        > > > > card Rocky
        > > > > will see in my system is the external USB CODEX
        > > located in
        > > > > the
        > > > > SignaLink USB interface - even with it
        > > disconnected, Rocky
        > > > > stil sees
        > > > > that one and not the internal RealTek in the
        > > notebook.
        > > > >
        > > > > Is there a ini file that could be edited? Any
        > > ideas?
        > > > >
        > > > > Thanks for any and all help,
        > > > >
        > > > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
        > > >
        >
      • Jim Campbell
        Ken, I believe that the answer to your question is yes . The model number is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago. It isn t a card -
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
          Ken,

          I believe that the answer to your question is "yes". The model number
          is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago. It
          isn't a card - it is an external box connected to the laptop by a USB cable.

          73,

          Jim - W4BQP

          sailingto wrote:
          >
          > Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
          > Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
          > This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?
          >
          > Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
          > doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
          > working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.
          >
          > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
          > problems
          > > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
          > >
          > > Jim - W4BQP
          > >
          > > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yea.......
          > > >
          > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
          > > > Laptop ?????
          > > > Desktop ?????
          > > >
          > > > John H. Long Jr.
          > > > KW7A
          > > > PO Box 567
          > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
          > > > USA
          > > >
          > > > -------- Original Message --------
          > > > Subject: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA soundcard
          > > > From: "sailingto" <sailingto@... <mailto:sailingto%40yahoo.com>>
          > > > Date: Wed, October 01, 2008 1:23 pm
          > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:softrock40%
          > 40yahoogroups.com>
          > > >
          > > > Hello, Does anyone use Rocky with VISTA? The only sound card Rocky
          > > > will see in my system is the external USB CODEX located in the
          > > > SignaLink USB interface - even with it disconnected, Rocky stil
          > sees
          > > > that one and not the internal RealTek in the notebook.
          > > >
          > > > Is there a ini file that could be edited? Any ideas?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for any and all help,
          > > >
          > > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
          > > >
          > > >
          > >
          >
          >
        • sailingto
          Yea, I see where I wrote card while I was thinking USB external card. The soundcard seems to be about the same price now. Seems like the SB Live! 24 is
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
            Yea, I see where I wrote "card" while I was thinking USB external
            card. The soundcard seems to be about the same price now. Seems like
            the SB Live! 24 is around $50 or so now.

            The ExpressCard is perhaps $85, and the Emu0202 that is USB 2.0 is
            about $100 or so.

            As this project progresses, I "can" swing either of the cards - I
            can "talk" myself into paying $100 for a GOOD soundcard that will
            actually improve the SDR and allow me to transmit also.... BUT I
            sure like the sound of $50 better {grinning - I've never been
            called "Diamond Jim", more like Scrooge).

            I have a bit of time before buying any card - I've about decided to
            order the V9.0 kit next (on Tony's and several others advice) and
            can "get by" with my internal card with Winrad.

            73 de Ken H. K9FV

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:
            >
            > Ken,
            >
            > I believe that the answer to your question is "yes". The model
            number
            > is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago.
            It
            > isn't a card - it is an external box connected to the laptop by a
            USB cable.
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Jim - W4BQP
            >
            > sailingto wrote:
            > >
            > > Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
            > > Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24
            USB?
            > > This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?
            > >
            > > Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
            > > doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
            > > working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2
            RX.
            > >
            > > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
            > >
            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Campbell <jim_c@>
            wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
            > > problems
            > > > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
            > > >
            > > > Jim - W4BQP
            > > >
            > > > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > > Yea.......
            > > > >
            > > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
            > > > > Laptop ?????
            > > > > Desktop ?????
            > > > >
            > > > > John H. Long Jr.
            > > > > KW7A
            > > > > PO Box 567
            > > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
            > > > > USA
            > > > >
            > > > > -------- Original Message --------
            > > > > Subject: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA soundcard
            > > > > From: "sailingto" <sailingto@ <mailto:sailingto%40yahoo.com>>
            > > > > Date: Wed, October 01, 2008 1:23 pm
            > > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:softrock40%
            > > 40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > >
            > > > > Hello, Does anyone use Rocky with VISTA? The only sound card
            Rocky
            > > > > will see in my system is the external USB CODEX located in the
            > > > > SignaLink USB interface - even with it disconnected, Rocky
            stil
            > > sees
            > > > > that one and not the internal RealTek in the notebook.
            > > > >
            > > > > Is there a ini file that could be edited? Any ideas?
            > > > >
            > > > > Thanks for any and all help,
            > > > >
            > > > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > >
            > >
            > >
            >
          • Pete
            ... do
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sailingto" <sailingto@...> wrote:
              >
              > See below:
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@> wrote:
              >
              > > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
              > >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
              > >not work by design rather than a bug.
              >
              > Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" -
              do
              > you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
              > cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
              > is seen on my system.
              >
              > Thanks for any guidance and info.
              >
              > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
              >
              > > On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input
              > plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see
              > both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If
              > you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would
              > use the line for stereo.
              > > Just a guess.
              > >
              > > My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at
              > the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.
              > >
              > > 73, Tom KM5H
              > >
              > >
              > > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, sailingto <sailingto@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > From: sailingto <sailingto@>
              > > > Subject: [softrock40] Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard
              > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 3:36 PM
              > > > Thanks for the info Tom, but are you saying VISTA requires
              > > > VAC for
              > > > ROCKY to see the internal sound card for RECEIVE only? Not
              > > > trying to
              > > > transmit here, just receive only. I was thinking the VAC
              > > > software
              > > > was for the digital programs (for PSK31, etc) to see the
              > > > output of
              > > > the internal sound card as if it were input?
              > > >
              > > > Rocky on has the single CODEX showing in the drop down for
              > > > sound card
              > > > selection. Seems like it should have at least the internal
              > > > card.
              > > >
              > > > Does the mic input have stereo input? OR only the line-in
              > > > is stereo?
              > > > I am using the line-in on my Toshiba, didn't think the
              > > > mic was
              > > > stereo, but didn't test to be sure.
              > > >
              > > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
              > > >
              > > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich
              > > > <km5h@> wrote:
              > > > >
              > > > > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
              > > > > You can use your internal sound card if you add
              > > > Virtual Audio Cable
              > > > (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.
              > > > >
              > > > > I know of three different $400 laptops that support
              > > > stereo input
              > > > (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops
              > > > that
              > > > support Vista.
              > > > >
              > > > > 73, Tom KM5H
              > > > >
              > > > > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, John H. Long Jr. <john@>
              > > > wrote:
              > > > >
              > > > > > From: John H. Long Jr. <john@>
              > > > > > Subject: RE: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA
              > > > soundcard
              > > > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > > > > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 2:34 PM
              > > > > > Yea.......
              > > > > >
              > > > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
              > > > > > Laptop ?????
              > > > > > Desktop ?????
              > > > > >
              > > > > >
              > > > > >
              > > > > > John H. Long Jr.
              > > > > > KW7A
              > > > > > PO Box 567
              > > > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
              > > > > > USA
              > > > > >
              > > > > >
              > > > > > -------- Original Message --------
              > > > > > Subject: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA soundcard
              > > > > > From: "sailingto" <sailingto@>
              > > > > > Date: Wed, October 01, 2008 1:23 pm
              > > > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > > > > >
              > > > > > Hello, Does anyone use Rocky with VISTA? The only
              > > > sound
              > > > > > card Rocky
              > > > > > will see in my system is the external USB CODEX
              > > > located in
              > > > > > the
              > > > > > SignaLink USB interface - even with it
              > > > disconnected, Rocky
              > > > > > stil sees
              > > > > > that one and not the internal RealTek in the
              > > > notebook.
              > > > > >
              > > > > > Is there a ini file that could be edited? Any
              > > > ideas?
              > > > > >
              > > > > > Thanks for any and all help,
              > > > > >
              > > > > > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
              > > > >
              > >
              >
            • Falls, Jim
              Good ol Vista.............won t talk to nuttin . I think I ll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz). Probably too slow to run the upcoming
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008

                Good ol’ Vista.............won’t talk to nuttin’.

                 

                I think I’ll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz). Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

                 

                My PDA is backed up on the laptop as well because Vista doesn’t see the device (I have spent WAY too much on the Palm help group site trying to finagle this). They really couldn’t care less.

                 

                General opinion is to toss everything you own and go with Vista compatible gear. Besides, if it’s not Vista compatible, what use is it really? Thank-you Mr. Gates.........

                 

                Not built-in obsolescence, mandatory obsolescence.

                 

                Jim Falls

                KG6FWT

                Eureka, CA

                 

              • k5nwa
                ... And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as Vista r1.2 Cecil K5NWA www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com Blessed are the cracked, for
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                  At 01:13 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                  >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to nuttin'.
                  >
                  >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                  >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.
                  >

                  And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as Vista r1.2



                  Cecil
                  K5NWA
                  www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                  "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
                • Tom Hoflich
                  ... Are you sure it is not called Vista ME? Actually I like Vista very much. 73, Tom KM5H
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    --- On Thu, 10/2/08, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                    > From: k5nwa <k5nwa@...>
                    > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard
                    > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 2:18 PM
                    > At 01:13 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                    > >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to
                    > nuttin'.
                    > >
                    > >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop
                    > (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                    > >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of
                    > SoftRock.
                    > >
                    >
                    > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                    > Vista r1.2
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Cecil
                    > K5NWA
                    >

                    Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?

                    Actually I like Vista very much.

                    73, Tom KM5H
                  • k5nwa
                    ... I m not a fan of Microsoft but I like Vista, that is until you have to start dealing with oddball hardware (by their definition) and drivers, then it s no
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                      At 02:23 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                      >--- On Thu, 10/2/08, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > From: k5nwa <k5nwa@...>
                      > >
                      > > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                      > > Vista r1.2
                      > >
                      > > Cecil
                      > > K5NWA
                      > >
                      >
                      >Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?
                      >
                      >Actually I like Vista very much.
                      >
                      >73, Tom KM5H

                      I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I like Vista, that is until you have
                      to start dealing with oddball hardware (by their definition) and
                      drivers, then it's no fun.

                      I been having hardware issues with my Vista machine otherwise I
                      wanted to play the SDR software game with it and see what is up. It's
                      better behaved now, and today I'm supposed to get 4GB of RAM for it
                      to replace the existing RAM and see if that settles it down for good,
                      hopefully in time to play with it this weekend.

                      Computers are evil.



                      Cecil
                      K5NWA
                      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                      "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.