Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
      I have Vista 64 bit and couldnt get rocky to work either. It couldnt
      see my intenal sound cards.

      I tried VAC, as suggested by several others on this group, and it
      worked fine using VAC to connect Rocky to my soundcards.

      .... However...

      In order to use VAC in Vista 64 you need to boot in a special driver
      test mode, which puts up ugly looking text in the four corners of the
      screen (a bit like safe mode).

      I couldnt accept this, so disabled this test mode and didnt start VAC.

      But after this when I now start Rocky it can now see my internal
      sound cards, and works perfectly (I dont need VAC running)!!!!

      By installing VAC, something has changed which now allows Rocky to
      see the sound cards it couldnt see before (nothing else changed).

      I am not sure if I uninstall VAC that Rocky will still see my sound
      cards (to scared to try!!)

      Worth a try if you cant get Rocky to see your soundcards in Vista.

      Regards

      Peter
      G0RSQ

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

      > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
      > You can use your internal sound card if you add Virtual Audio Cable
      (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.

      > I know of three different $400 laptops that support stereo input
      (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops that
      support Vista.

      > 73, Tom KM5H

    • sailingto
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
        Thanks for the info Tom, but are you saying VISTA requires VAC for
        ROCKY to see the internal sound card for RECEIVE only? Not trying to
        transmit here, just receive only. I was thinking the VAC software
        was for the digital programs (for PSK31, etc) to see the output of
        the internal sound card as if it were input?

        Rocky on has the single CODEX showing in the drop down for sound card
        selection. Seems like it should have at least the internal card.

        Does the mic input have stereo input? OR only the line-in is stereo?
        I am using the line-in on my Toshiba, didn't think the mic was
        stereo, but didn't test to be sure.

        73 de Ken H. K9FV

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

        > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
        > You can use your internal sound card if you add Virtual Audio Cable
        (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.

        > I know of three different $400 laptops that support stereo input
        (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops that
        support Vista.

        > 73, Tom KM5H

      • Tom Hoflich
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
          The VAC software is simply a "Virtual Audio Cable". It has nothing to do with ham applications. It allows you to run audio between components of the system that do not necessarily have connectors. I don't really know much more about it other than it does work.
          I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does not work by design rather than a bug.

          On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would use the line for stereo.
          Just a guess.

          My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.

          73, Tom KM5H

          > Thanks for the info Tom, but are you saying VISTA requires
          > VAC for
          > ROCKY to see the internal sound card for RECEIVE only? Not
          > trying to
          > transmit here, just receive only. I was thinking the VAC
          > software
          > was for the digital programs (for PSK31, etc) to see the
          > output of
          > the internal sound card as if it were input?
          >
          > Rocky on has the single CODEX showing in the drop down for
          > sound card
          > selection. Seems like it should have at least the internal
          > card.
          >
          > Does the mic input have stereo input? OR only the line-in
          > is stereo?
          > I am using the line-in on my Toshiba, didn't think the
          > mic was
          > stereo, but didn't test to be sure.
          >
          > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
          >
          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich
          > <km5h@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
          > > You can use your internal sound card if you add
          > Virtual Audio Cable
          > (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.
          > >
          > > I know of three different $400 laptops that support
          > stereo input
          > (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops
          > that
          > support Vista.
          > >
          > > 73, Tom KM5H
          > >
          > > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, John H. Long Jr. <john@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > > From: John H. Long Jr. <john@...>
          > > > Subject: RE: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA
          > soundcard
          > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 2:34 PM
          > > > Yea.......
          > > >
          > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
          > > > Laptop ?????
          > > > Desktop ?????
          > > >

          > > > John H. Long Jr.
          > > > KW7A
          > > > PO Box 567
          > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
          > > > USA

        • sailingto
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
            Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
            Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
            This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?

            Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
            doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
            working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.

            73 de Ken H> K9FV

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:

            > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
            problems
            > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
            >
            > Jim - W4BQP
            >
            > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
            > >
            > > Yea.......
            > >
            > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
            > > Laptop ?????
            > > Desktop ?????
            > >
            > > John H. Long Jr.
            > > KW7A
            > > PO Box 567
            > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
            > > USA

          • sailingto
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
              See below:

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

              > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
              >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
              >not work by design rather than a bug.

              Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" - do
              you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
              cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
              is seen on my system.

              Thanks for any guidance and info.

              73 de Ken H> K9FV

            • Jim Campbell
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                Ken,

                I believe that the answer to your question is "yes". The model number
                is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago. It
                isn't a card - it is an external box connected to the laptop by a USB cable.

                73,

                Jim - W4BQP

                sailingto wrote:

                > Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
                > Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
                > This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?
                >
                > Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
                > doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
                > working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.
                >
                > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
                > problems
                > > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
                > >
                > > Jim - W4BQP
                > >
                > > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Yea.......
                > > >
                > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
                > > > Laptop ?????
                > > > Desktop ?????
                > > >
                > > > John H. Long Jr.
                > > > KW7A
                > > > PO Box 567
                > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
                > > > USA

              • sailingto
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Yea, I see where I wrote "card" while I was thinking USB external
                  card. The soundcard seems to be about the same price now. Seems like
                  the SB Live! 24 is around $50 or so now.

                  The ExpressCard is perhaps $85, and the Emu0202 that is USB 2.0 is
                  about $100 or so.

                  As this project progresses, I "can" swing either of the cards - I
                  can "talk" myself into paying $100 for a GOOD soundcard that will
                  actually improve the SDR and allow me to transmit also.... BUT I
                  sure like the sound of $50 better {grinning - I've never been
                  called "Diamond Jim", more like Scrooge).

                  I have a bit of time before buying any card - I've about decided to
                  order the V9.0 kit next (on Tony's and several others advice) and
                  can "get by" with my internal card with Winrad.

                • Pete
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sailingto" <sailingto@...> wrote:

                    > See below:
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
                    > >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
                    > >not work by design rather than a bug.
                    >
                    > Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" -
                    do
                    > you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
                    > cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
                    > is seen on my system.
                    >
                    > Thanks for any guidance and info.
                    >
                    > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
                    >
                    > > On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input
                    > plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see
                    > both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If
                    > you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would
                    > use the line for stereo.
                    > > Just a guess.
                    > >
                    > > My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at
                    > the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.
                    > >
                    > > 73, Tom KM5H

                  • Falls, Jim
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008

                      Good ol’ Vista.............won’t talk to nuttin’.

                      I think I’ll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz). Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

                      My PDA is backed up on the laptop as well because Vista doesn’t see the device (I have spent WAY too much on the Palm help group site trying to finagle this). They really couldn’t care less.

                      General opinion is to toss everything you own and go with Vista compatible gear. Besides, if it’s not Vista compatible, what use is it really? Thank-you Mr. Gates.........

                      Not built-in obsolescence, mandatory obsolescence.

                      Jim Falls

                      KG6FWT

                      Eureka, CA

                    • k5nwa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                        At 01:13 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                        >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to nuttin'.
                        >
                        >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                        >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

                        And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as Vista r1.2

                        Cecil
                        K5NWA
                        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                      • Tom Hoflich
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                          > >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to
                          > nuttin'.
                          > >
                          > >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop
                          > (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                          > >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of
                          > SoftRock.
                          > >

                          > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                          > Vista r1.2
                          >

                          > Cecil
                          > K5NWA

                          Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?

                          Actually I like Vista very much.

                          73, Tom KM5H
                        • k5nwa
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                            At 02:23 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                            >--- On Thu, 10/2/08, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > From: k5nwa <k5nwa@...>
                            > >
                            > > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                            > > Vista r1.2
                            > >
                            > > Cecil
                            > > K5NWA
                            > >

                            >Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?
                            >
                            >Actually I like Vista very much.
                            >
                            >73, Tom KM5H

                            I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I like Vista, that is until you have
                            to start dealing with oddball hardware (by their definition) and
                            drivers, then it's no fun.

                            I been having hardware issues with my Vista machine otherwise I
                            wanted to play the SDR software game with it and see what is up. It's
                            better behaved now, and today I'm supposed to get 4GB of RAM for it
                            to replace the existing RAM and see if that settles it down for good,
                            hopefully in time to play with it this weekend.

                            Computers are evil.