Re: Rocky and VISTA soundcard

  • sailingto
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
      Darn - and I am SUPPOSED to be semi-computer literata! It's a Toshiba
      P205 notebook using the RealTek High Definition audio card internal
      running VISTA. With the USB Codex sound card inside the Signalink USB
      interface I can see signals from y 756Pro, but as it's a mono input,
      they are mirrored.

      I am using Winrad and PowerSDR programs and they see the notebook's
      internal RealTek HD card just fine and Winrad works nicely, but
      PowerSDR has a problem with audio drop outs. I am using the Softrock
      Lite V6.2 RX.

      Did I leave anything out this time? (grinning - us old men forget).

      73 de Ken H. K9FV

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Long Jr." <john@...>
      wrote:

      > Yea.......
      >
      > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
      > Laptop ?????
      > Desktop ?????
      >
      > John H. Long Jr.
      > KW7A
      > PO Box 567
      > East Carbon, Utah 84520
      > USA

    • Jim Campbell
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
        I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No problems
        whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.

        Jim - W4BQP

        John H. Long Jr. wrote:

        > Yea.......
        >
        > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
        > Laptop ?????
        > Desktop ?????
        >
        > John H. Long Jr.
        > KW7A
        > PO Box 567
        > East Carbon, Utah 84520
        > USA

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
          I have Vista 64 bit and couldnt get rocky to work either. It couldnt
          see my intenal sound cards.

          I tried VAC, as suggested by several others on this group, and it
          worked fine using VAC to connect Rocky to my soundcards.

          .... However...

          In order to use VAC in Vista 64 you need to boot in a special driver
          test mode, which puts up ugly looking text in the four corners of the
          screen (a bit like safe mode).

          I couldnt accept this, so disabled this test mode and didnt start VAC.

          But after this when I now start Rocky it can now see my internal
          sound cards, and works perfectly (I dont need VAC running)!!!!

          By installing VAC, something has changed which now allows Rocky to
          see the sound cards it couldnt see before (nothing else changed).

          I am not sure if I uninstall VAC that Rocky will still see my sound
          cards (to scared to try!!)

          Worth a try if you cant get Rocky to see your soundcards in Vista.

          Regards

          Peter
          G0RSQ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

          > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
          > You can use your internal sound card if you add Virtual Audio Cable
          (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.

          > I know of three different $400 laptops that support stereo input
          (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops that
          support Vista.

          > 73, Tom KM5H

        • sailingto
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
            Thanks for the info Tom, but are you saying VISTA requires VAC for
            ROCKY to see the internal sound card for RECEIVE only? Not trying to
            transmit here, just receive only. I was thinking the VAC software
            was for the digital programs (for PSK31, etc) to see the output of
            the internal sound card as if it were input?

            Rocky on has the single CODEX showing in the drop down for sound card
            selection. Seems like it should have at least the internal card.

            Does the mic input have stereo input? OR only the line-in is stereo?
            I am using the line-in on my Toshiba, didn't think the mic was
            stereo, but didn't test to be sure.

            73 de Ken H. K9FV

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

            > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
            > You can use your internal sound card if you add Virtual Audio Cable
            (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.

            > I know of three different $400 laptops that support stereo input
            (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops that
            support Vista.

            > 73, Tom KM5H

          • Tom Hoflich
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
              The VAC software is simply a "Virtual Audio Cable". It has nothing to do with ham applications. It allows you to run audio between components of the system that do not necessarily have connectors. I don't really know much more about it other than it does work.
              I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does not work by design rather than a bug.

              On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would use the line for stereo.
              Just a guess.

              My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.

              73, Tom KM5H

              > Thanks for the info Tom, but are you saying VISTA requires
              > VAC for
              > ROCKY to see the internal sound card for RECEIVE only? Not
              > trying to
              > transmit here, just receive only. I was thinking the VAC
              > software
              > was for the digital programs (for PSK31, etc) to see the
              > output of
              > the internal sound card as if it were input?
              >
              > Rocky on has the single CODEX showing in the drop down for
              > sound card
              > selection. Seems like it should have at least the internal
              > card.
              >
              > Does the mic input have stereo input? OR only the line-in
              > is stereo?
              > I am using the line-in on my Toshiba, didn't think the
              > mic was
              > stereo, but didn't test to be sure.
              >
              > 73 de Ken H. K9FV
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich
              > <km5h@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Vista will work with pretty much any USB sound card.
              > > You can use your internal sound card if you add
              > Virtual Audio Cable
              > (VAC) software. It costs but a trial version is available.
              > >
              > > I know of three different $400 laptops that support
              > stereo input
              > (Toshiba and Acer). That seems to be a trend with laptops
              > that
              > support Vista.
              > >
              > > 73, Tom KM5H
              > >
              > > --- On Wed, 10/1/08, John H. Long Jr. <john@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > > From: John H. Long Jr. <john@...>
              > > > Subject: RE: [softrock40] Rocky and VISTA
              > soundcard
              > > > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > > > Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 2:34 PM
              > > > Yea.......
              > > >
              > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
              > > > Laptop ?????
              > > > Desktop ?????
              > > >

              > > > John H. Long Jr.
              > > > KW7A
              > > > PO Box 567
              > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
              > > > USA

            • sailingto
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
                Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
                This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?

                Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
                doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
                working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.

                73 de Ken H> K9FV

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:

                > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
                problems
                > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
                >
                > Jim - W4BQP
                >
                > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
                > >
                > > Yea.......
                > >
                > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
                > > Laptop ?????
                > > Desktop ?????
                > >
                > > John H. Long Jr.
                > > KW7A
                > > PO Box 567
                > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
                > > USA

              • sailingto
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                  See below:

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

                  > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
                  >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
                  >not work by design rather than a bug.

                  Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" - do
                  you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
                  cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
                  is seen on my system.

                  Thanks for any guidance and info.

                  73 de Ken H> K9FV

                • Jim Campbell
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Ken,

                    I believe that the answer to your question is "yes". The model number
                    is SB0490 and I paid something like $50 for it a few months ago. It
                    isn't a card - it is an external box connected to the laptop by a USB cable.

                    73,

                    Jim - W4BQP

                    sailingto wrote:

                    > Jim, is your card the same as the "External Creative Soundblaster
                    > Live 24-bit Sound Card" - does the 24-bit indicate the Live! 24 USB?
                    > This is a USB card - perhaps it's an older version?
                    >
                    > Thanks - I would like to get Rocky going, but I guess it really
                    > doesn't matter if I'm to build a V9.0 next - Winrad seems to be
                    > working pretty good for a receive only program with my Lite V6.2 RX.
                    >
                    > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have Rocky running on a laptop with Vista Ultimate x64. No
                    > problems
                    > > whatsoever. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live! 24 USB.
                    > >
                    > > Jim - W4BQP
                    > >
                    > > John H. Long Jr. wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Yea.......
                    > > >
                    > > > What sound cards work with Rocky under Vista?
                    > > > Laptop ?????
                    > > > Desktop ?????
                    > > >
                    > > > John H. Long Jr.
                    > > > KW7A
                    > > > PO Box 567
                    > > > East Carbon, Utah 84520
                    > > > USA

                  • sailingto
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
                      Yea, I see where I wrote "card" while I was thinking USB external
                      card. The soundcard seems to be about the same price now. Seems like
                      the SB Live! 24 is around $50 or so now.

                      The ExpressCard is perhaps $85, and the Emu0202 that is USB 2.0 is
                      about $100 or so.

                      As this project progresses, I "can" swing either of the cards - I
                      can "talk" myself into paying $100 for a GOOD soundcard that will
                      actually improve the SDR and allow me to transmit also.... BUT I
                      sure like the sound of $50 better {grinning - I've never been
                      called "Diamond Jim", more like Scrooge).

                      I have a bit of time before buying any card - I've about decided to
                      order the V9.0 kit next (on Tony's and several others advice) and
                      can "get by" with my internal card with Winrad.

                    • Pete
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "sailingto" <sailingto@...> wrote:

                        > See below:
                        >
                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hoflich <km5h@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have written the author of Rocky and it uses some hardware
                        > >dependent interface in XP that does not exist in Vista so it does
                        > >not work by design rather than a bug.
                        >
                        > Can you elaborate a bit there? "So it does not wokr by design" -
                        do
                        > you mean "any" sound card with Rocky under VISTA? OR only internal
                        > cards on notebooks? That would explain why the external Codex sound
                        > is seen on my system.
                        >
                        > Thanks for any guidance and info.
                        >
                        > 73 de Ken H> K9FV
                        >
                        > > On the two Toshiba's that I know about, there is only one input
                        > plug. If you put in a stereo plug it somehow knows and you can see
                        > both inputs. If you put in a mono plug, it seems to know that. If
                        > you have two input plugs, the mic plug may be mono only. You would
                        > use the line for stereo.
                        > > Just a guess.
                        > >
                        > > My new Acer has a line in which is stereo. I have not looked at
                        > the mic yet but am guessing that it is mono.
                        > >
                        > > 73, Tom KM5H

                      • Falls, Jim
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008

                          Good ol’ Vista.............won’t talk to nuttin’.

                          I think I’ll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz). Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

                          My PDA is backed up on the laptop as well because Vista doesn’t see the device (I have spent WAY too much on the Palm help group site trying to finagle this). They really couldn’t care less.

                          General opinion is to toss everything you own and go with Vista compatible gear. Besides, if it’s not Vista compatible, what use is it really? Thank-you Mr. Gates.........

                          Not built-in obsolescence, mandatory obsolescence.

                          Jim Falls

                          KG6FWT

                          Eureka, CA

                        • k5nwa
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                            At 01:13 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                            >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to nuttin'.
                            >
                            >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                            >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of SoftRock.

                            And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as Vista r1.2

                            Cecil
                            K5NWA
                            www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                          • Tom Hoflich
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                              > >Good ol' Vista.............won't talk to
                              > nuttin'.
                              > >
                              > >I think I'll end up running Rocky on an old laptop
                              > (Win 98, 60 MHz).
                              > >Probably too slow to run the upcoming edition of
                              > SoftRock.
                              > >

                              > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                              > Vista r1.2
                              >

                              > Cecil
                              > K5NWA

                              Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?

                              Actually I like Vista very much.

                              73, Tom KM5H
                            • k5nwa
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                                At 02:23 PM 10/2/2008, you wrote:
                                >--- On Thu, 10/2/08, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > From: k5nwa <k5nwa@...>
                                > >
                                > > And Windows 7 is just around the corner otherwise known as
                                > > Vista r1.2
                                > >
                                > > Cecil
                                > > K5NWA
                                > >

                                >Are you sure it is not called Vista ME?
                                >
                                >Actually I like Vista very much.
                                >
                                >73, Tom KM5H

                                I'm not a fan of Microsoft but I like Vista, that is until you have
                                to start dealing with oddball hardware (by their definition) and
                                drivers, then it's no fun.

                                I been having hardware issues with my Vista machine otherwise I
                                wanted to play the SDR software game with it and see what is up. It's
                                better behaved now, and today I'm supposed to get 4GB of RAM for it
                                to replace the existing RAM and see if that settles it down for good,
                                hopefully in time to play with it this weekend.

                                Computers are evil.