Best soundcard to use

  • chopc2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2008
      There have been many messages with regard to the "best" soundcard to
      use and many recommendations , However I feel I'm missing something ,
      or at least that the replies are biased towards the original crystal
      controlled version of Softrock .
      When I see people being advised to spend mega bucks on soundcards I
      wonder why they don't spend the money on a more flexible oscillator
      setup ? I can see that if one wants to use the Softrock as a
      "Panadapter" type spectrum viewer, a wide response sound card is the
      best , However, for general use I feel that the money spent on a super
      sound card might be better spent on an Si570 and controller , My 20M
      Softrock runs with a homebrew "Kees and John" type controller and the
      built in PC soundcard , Results are excellent ! ( I even use it down
      to 80M !)
      So , for someone that's just getting into the Softrock scene I'd say
      use what you have for a soundcard ( As long as it's stereo input) and
      spend the extra money on a 570 controller

      Art VK2AEC
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        From: "chopc2001"
        Subject: [softrock40] Best soundcard to use
        > So , for someone that's just getting into the Softrock scene I'd say
        > use what you have for a soundcard ( As long as it's stereo input) and
        > spend the extra money on a 570 controller

        Yes, I agree.

        The only thing is that there is a great difference between different sound
        systems.
        Some will be quite good, others only just adequate, with high noise and
        spurii.
        So once a beginner has got going he may see these imperfections and then
        upgrade.
        The ones most often mentioned seem to be the Creative SB24 PCI and USB for
        cheap, reasonable quality and the Delta 44 as one of the better performers.
        (Well actually a D44 is two of the better performers as it has 4 in/outs!)

        Usually those that reccommend 192KHz cards are thinking of CW Skimmer, or
        the like, to monitor a whole section.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ