Re: I2C board placement

  • Tim O'Rourke
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2008
      Tnx Tony

      I may mount the I2C in a small enclosure with key jack for key.
      I noticed insulating washers for mounting main PCB were included in
      kit. I am trying to work out grounds to minimize interference from
      ground loops. It looks like keeping grounds between I2C and main PCB
      limited to the ground connection on pic socket may be best soultion.
      I have isolated the I/Q ins and outs from chassis with ground
      isolation switches to minimize loops in those lines.
      Should I also isolate the power return from chassis that way
      completely isolating PCB from chassis?
      Working on an aluminum enclosure now. On the bench I have a very quiet
      system using either an SB24 or E-MU 0202 for I/O along with a PCI
      sound card for audio and do not want to start chasing ground loops
      when I mount everything in enclosure.
      All help very much appreciated!
      Tim W4YN
      BTW for those chasing PTT problems if you are using a serial
      connection and an external sound card you may need to connect ground
      on pin 5 of serial connector to get all to work correctly. The
      external card may have it's grounds isolated from PC.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tim,
      >
      > It probably would be best to have several inches separation between
      the USB I2C interface circuit and the PIC socket. The v8.4 Lite+USB
      Xtall had the USB interface close to the RX circuits and this resulted
      in some RX noise problems.