Fw: [softrock40] Re: [AQRP] Manhandle those .5mm pins

  • fargonaz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, windy10605@... wrote:

      > >I have a 20 pin QFN package that I have to attach. The best idea that
      > >has occured to me so far: hollow the the ground pad area of the pcb
      > >completely, then machine a slug, tin, heat and complete with a strap
      > >on the back.
      >
      > >I'm seriously open to any and all suggestions.
      >
      > Surface tension has allways pulled solder into vias and if you feed in
      > more solder it comes out the other side. At least that's been my
      > experience. I would make sure the ground vias (use 2 or 3) you are going
      > to use are at least large PIH size and have "thermals" but you don't
      have
      > to have them so large that the soldering tip touches the ground pad on
      > the part. Just heat up the via and feed in enough solder to contact the
      > ground pad and let it flow. I think you'll find that solder readily
      > attaches to the ground pad.
      >
      > 73 Kees K5BCQ

      Definitely less time consuming than my idea! I appreciate the input.

      Since the pad on this is 2x2mm (CC2500) I could probably get 1 #68 in
      there, which will be big enough to fit my smallest tip in. I'll
      probably do a couple and remove them to check for flow with this method.

      Thanks again
      Chris N7UJU