Re: [softrock40] Re: Bandpass filter smilter

  • KY1K
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Good observation Joe, you discovered the Achilles Heal of the
      softrock type detectors! Although it's not a serious problem, you
      have to be aware of it and limit front end filters response to
      appropriate values.

      The ratio between the lowest frequency passed by the front end filter
      and the highest frequency passed cannot be more than two to one-for
      exactly the reason you describe.

      It responds to harmonics.

      Several have thought of using the softrock for VLF and ULF receivers,
      say from 2 KHz to 80 KHz. And, of course they run into the same problem.

      2 KHz to 4 KHz is ok, 4 KHz to 8 KHz is ok.......but don't try 2 KHz
      to 8 KHz without separate filters for eash 'band'.

      GL to all.

      Art