Fw: [softrock40] Re: [AQRP] Manhandle those .5mm pins

  • windy10605@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2006
      >I have a 20 pin QFN package that I have to attach.  The best
      idea that
      >has occured to me so far: hollow the the ground pad area of the
      pcb
      >completely, then machine a slug, tin, heat and complete with a
      strap
      >on the back.

      >I'm seriously open to any and all
      suggestions.
      Surface tension has allways pulled solder into vias and if you feed in more solder it comes out the other side. At least that's been my experience. I would make sure the ground vias (use 2 or 3) you are going to use are at least large PIH size and have "thermals" but you don't have to have them so large that the soldering tip touches the ground pad on the part. Just heat up the via and feed in enough solder to contact the ground pad and let it flow. I think you'll find that solder readily attaches to the ground pad.

      73 Kees K5BCQ

    • fargonaz
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, windy10605@... wrote:

        > >I have a 20 pin QFN package that I have to attach. The best idea that
        > >has occured to me so far: hollow the the ground pad area of the pcb
        > >completely, then machine a slug, tin, heat and complete with a strap
        > >on the back.
        >
        > >I'm seriously open to any and all suggestions.
        >
        > Surface tension has allways pulled solder into vias and if you feed in
        > more solder it comes out the other side. At least that's been my
        > experience. I would make sure the ground vias (use 2 or 3) you are going
        > to use are at least large PIH size and have "thermals" but you don't
        have
        > to have them so large that the soldering tip touches the ground pad on
        > the part. Just heat up the via and feed in enough solder to contact the
        > ground pad and let it flow. I think you'll find that solder readily
        > attaches to the ground pad.
        >
        > 73 Kees K5BCQ

        Definitely less time consuming than my idea! I appreciate the input.

        Since the pad on this is 2x2mm (CC2500) I could probably get 1 #68 in
        there, which will be big enough to fit my smallest tip in. I'll
        probably do a couple and remove them to check for flow with this method.

        Thanks again
        Chris N7UJU