Re: Bandpass filter smilter

  • market10gardener
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, windy10605@j... wrote:
      >broaden them further (whole HF spectrum with one real good
      > BPF ...no plugging) or eliminate them altogether (again, no plugging).
      > Replacing it only with an antenna tuner to match the feedline/antenna
      > the required receiver impedance. In other words, focus on impedance
      > matching, not bandpass filtering. Try it, you'll be surprised.

      Hi Kees. What a brilliant observation! If a broadband front end works,
      then we simply need a 350pf variable cap at C25 for the luxury of
      manually adjustable 'band set' phase shift over the whole HF range.
      What an amazing contrast to the requirements for conventional RF
      design. John G0UCP
    • joe price
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Kees,

        When I first received my SR40 I replaced the input transformer
        with a wide band transformer made by RELCOM. I was using a DDS board
        to supply the Xtal input with the idea of just using bandpass or
        lowpass filters ahead of rx. to cover a large frequency. It seened to
        work ok at hf frequencies but when i tried it a LF 200-450khx I
        received a lot of broadcast stations that i didn't have with my
        superhet SD40 as sugested by wa6ufq. Further testing revealed the
        following problems.

        Strong spurious response at odd multiples of the receive fqequency
        3x,5x 7x as a example when tuned to 300khz receiver would respond
        to 900,1500,2100khz ect. now you can see why i was hearing strong
        broadcast stations at LW.

        The input transformer I used i rated to 50khz, maybe my receiver has
        a problem but phase and balance look good.
        I also checked another SR40 at 10mhz it also could hear 30mhz.

        Another problem the shows up is automatic phase and balance changes
        when changing bands such as going from 40 to 20 mtrs. Not a concern
        if this data can be stored for each band.

        Can you please verify the above on your receiver?

        Thanks Joe wa9cgz
      • KY1K
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          Good observation Joe, you discovered the Achilles Heal of the
          softrock type detectors! Although it's not a serious problem, you
          have to be aware of it and limit front end filters response to
          appropriate values.

          The ratio between the lowest frequency passed by the front end filter
          and the highest frequency passed cannot be more than two to one-for
          exactly the reason you describe.

          It responds to harmonics.

          Several have thought of using the softrock for VLF and ULF receivers,
          say from 2 KHz to 80 KHz. And, of course they run into the same problem.

          2 KHz to 4 KHz is ok, 4 KHz to 8 KHz is ok.......but don't try 2 KHz
          to 8 KHz without separate filters for eash 'band'.

          GL to all.

          Art