Re: Another Soundcard Question

  • joe price
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      Brian,

      I purchased my SB Live at Xmas model number SB0490 it has the following
      note on box.

      Due to data transferlimitations of the USB 1.1 connection, it may not
      be possible to play back, record or simultaneously record and play back
      content at the highest bit rate and/or frequency supported.

      See my previous post on how I used this device. If and when we ever get
      a transmitter i'm not sure this soundcard will work or not.

      Joe wa9cgz
    • Jim Miller
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
        i bought it around july 05 so it's not that old.

        jim
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 8, 2006
          Phil

          I thought about this some more and realized I didn't really understand
          your warning. How would what I proposed (using separate usb input with
          ac97 output) be any different than what I've done already? I've
          successfully used a USB1.1 input with AC97 output and didn't notice
          any ill effects.

          tnx
          jim ab3cv

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, pvharman@... wrote:

          > Hi Jim,

          [...]
          > One word of warning if you decide to go ahead with your own design.
          If you use

        • pvharman@arach.net.au
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 8, 2006
            Jim,

            It's a matter of how accurate the crystals in each sound card are. If they are
            within a few Hz of each other and track well with temperature then it will be
            a long time before you have a problem. With my Delta 44 and MB sound card I
            get about a minute of continous receive before the clocks drift apart enough
            to be annoying.

            73's Phil...VK6APH

            Quoting mdgolfbum <jtmiller2@...>:

            > Phil
            >
            > I thought about this some more and realized I didn't really understand
            > your warning. How would what I proposed (using separate usb input with
            > ac97 output) be any different than what I've done already? I've
            > successfully used a USB1.1 input with AC97 output and didn't notice
            > any ill effects.
            >
            > tnx
            > jim ab3cv
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, pvharman@... wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Jim,
            > >
            > [...]
            > > One word of warning if you decide to go ahead with your own design.
            > If you use
            > > an external A/D and an internal sound card then unless you can use
            > the same
            > > crystal clock on you A/D as you do in your sound card then the two
            > clocks will
            > > drift apart and the resulting beat note ruins the system.
            > >
            > > 73's Phil...VK6APH
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jim Miller
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 8, 2006
              Am I correct in assuming what will happen is that occasionally a sample will
              get passed over as the sample phases get more than 360°? And if the clocks
              are sufficiently apart from one another you'll start to hear some sort of
              effect from these missing samples?

              tnx
              jim ab3cv
            • Phil Harman
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 9, 2006
                Yes - you appear to drop samples which creates a 'tick' in the Rx audio -
                the more the clocks drift apart the more frequent the ticks.

                Phil....VK6APH