A question about the DDS AD9832

  • Farhan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello all.

      I am still assembling my Softrock these days. But i was thinking of
      purchasing a DDS and an Evaluation board.

      The distributors here in Pakistan, only offer to bring the following
      DDS from UK:

      AD9832
      25 MHz Serial Interface DDS With On-Chip 10-Bit DAC

      and its Evaluation Board:

      EVAL-AD9832EB

      The evaluation board comes with its software and can be controlled
      via the computer parallel port.

      This will be delivered to me some time in the next 2 weeks, by than
      i should have my softrock working with the crystal that it came
      with.

      So I was wondering if this DDS setup is any good?? I am going to
      make another BPF board for my softrock for 500-1600Khz range. So i
      need the DDS for tuning in this range, as well as the 7 Mhz and up
      band.

      What do you guys think? should i go for it?

      I will be using the evaluation board and the software that came with
      it, controlling via the parallel port.

      Will this work?

      Thanks and sorry for the ultra long mail!

      :)
    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        I'm not familiar with that chip, most use newer chips, but if that is
        what you can easily get and it it's not horribly expensive, I would
        go ahead and get it.

        It will give frequency mobility so you can move around in the
        bandpass and find signals to be able to demonstrate that your project
        is functional.

        Since you bought as SR-5 you will need a 1X oscillator output, that
        chip should be capable of moving around to all kinds of usable
        frequencies, use shielded coax to get the signal to the radio.

        At 03:07 AM 2/1/2006, you wrote:

        >Hello all.
        >
        >I am still assembling my Softrock these days. But i was thinking of
        >purchasing a DDS and an Evaluation board.
        >
        >The distributors here in Pakistan, only offer to bring the following
        >DDS from UK:
        >
        >AD9832
        >25 MHz Serial Interface DDS With On-Chip 10-Bit DAC
        >
        >and its Evaluation Board:
        >
        >EVAL-AD9832EB
        >
        >The evaluation board comes with its software and can be controlled
        >via the computer parallel port.
        >
        >This will be delivered to me some time in the next 2 weeks, by than
        >i should have my softrock working with the crystal that it came
        >with.
        >
        >So I was wondering if this DDS setup is any good?? I am going to
        >make another BPF board for my softrock for 500-1600Khz range. So i
        >need the DDS for tuning in this range, as well as the 7 Mhz and up
        >band.
        >
        >What do you guys think? should i go for it?
        >
        >I will be using the evaluation board and the software that came with
        >it, controlling via the parallel port.
        >
        >Will this work?
        >
        >Thanks and sorry for the ultra long mail!
        >
        >:)
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        "I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
        same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
        only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
      • Farhan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thanks for the reply sir.

          ok than, i just ordered it. I hope i can get it to work.

          yeah its really not that expensive either.