Single Xtall to multiple RXTX v6.2 interfacing question

  • tlcfarmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
      I have all 5 RXTX v6.2 and a single Xtall kit. With the USB I2C kit,
      it now becomes interesting to use the Xtall on all of them. I got a
      quote from Tony for Xtall/USB I2C's for each one. I am looking for
      alternatives first.

      From what I see in the schematics, the Xtall needs 12v, LO out and Gnd
      connections. Each RXTX gets modified per the Xtall schematic. The
      out of the Xtall should probably be a coax and the 12v comes from the
      center of the RXTX board. If I use plug/jack connections, I could
      just use one Xtall/USB I2C combo to control all 5 RXTX's. (One at a
      time, of course!)

      Question: what kind of plug/jack combo would you recommend for the
      coax/RXTX connection?

      I don't know how critical impedance matching and shielding are in this
      application, so I would like input from those who know more than me!
      I have to buy all of the components and am not experienced enough to
      know what to do!

      If someone else has already done this, please point me to the info. I
      am using dialup, so it is hard to sort through all the files and
      photos in this group!

      Thanks and 73,
      Lincoln
      AB9QN
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
        From: "tlcfarmer" Subject: [softrock40] Single Xtall to multiple RXTX v6.2
        interfacing question

        > From what I see in the schematics, the Xtall needs 12v, LO out and Gnd
        > connections. Each RXTX gets modified per the Xtall schematic. The
        > out of the Xtall should probably be a coax and the 12v comes from the
        > center of the RXTX board. If I use plug/jack connections, I could
        > just use one Xtall/USB I2C combo to control all 5 RXTX's. (One at a
        > time, of course!)
        >
        > Question: what kind of plug/jack combo would you recommend for the
        > coax/RXTX connection?

        I've done this but with my own "Xtall" unit.
        I use BNC but any style could be used, I even suggest good shielded phono
        plug/sockets.
        I do not think matching is too important, just use good coax and keep the
        length reasonably short.
        Always the problem with these sort of connections is avoiding ground loops,
        care and experimenting may be required.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Jose Bonanca
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
          Yes yet I use a two wire twisted pair over one feet in lenght and I found it to be good if not better than coax,.
          now that's a choice that one has to make or experiment.

          73

          > connections. Each RXTX gets modified per the Xtall schematic. The
          > out of the Xtall should probably be a coax and the 12v comes from the
          > center of the RXTX board. If I use plug/jack connections, I could
          > just use one Xtall/USB I2C combo to control all 5 RXTX's. (One at a
          > time, of course!)
          >
          > Question: what kind of plug/jack combo would you recommend for the
          > coax/RXTX connection?

          I've done this but with my own "Xtall" unit.
          I use BNC but any style could be used, I even suggest good shielded phono
          plug/sockets.
          I do not think matching is too important, just use good coax and keep the
          length reasonably short.
          Always the problem with these sort of connections is avoiding ground loops,
          care and experimenting may be required.

          Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
            From: "Jose Bonanca"

            > Yes yet I use a two wire twisted pair over one feet in lenght and I found
            > it
            > to be good if not better than coax,.

            Do you mean for the single ended output of a CMOS?

            I would consider the twisted pair between a LVDS Si570 and a FIN1002, or
            other balanced input.
            But would be surprised if that did not leak more than coax.
            It does not seem a good idea for an unbalanced connection.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Brad Thompson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hello--

              I'm offering FS two Crystal Semiconductor CS4329-KS 20-bit audio
              DACs. These were hermetically sealed
              in an unopened moisture-proof foil envelope circa October, 1996, and
              promptly misplaced by the previous owner. The -KS
              suffix denotes a 20-pin SSOP package.

              A Google search for "Crystal Semiconductor CS-4329" yields
              approximately 1400 references to reference boards, etc.
              Full specifications are available on line at, among other places, the
              Datasheet Archive:

              http://www.datasheetarchive.com

              The sealed packet prevents the parts from absorbing moisture, which
              can lead to unpredictable results when the parts are
              wave-soldered onto a circuit board. This isn't an issue for
              hand-soldering the parts.

              If you can use these, they're yours for $8.00 postpaid via
              first-class mail (U.S. only). I honor PayPal, personal checks,
              and USPS- or bank-issued money orders.

              Questions welcomed!

              73--

              Brad AA1IP
            • Jose Bonanca
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
                Alan,

                For CMOS connections I just connect it the same way as the XTALL not twisted, directly to a SR.
                For a LVDS I use twisted pairs. for frequency generation.
                In fact I use the FIN 1002. Do not know any other device for that purpose.
                We are away of most development situations. We do not have a distributor for the most recent chips and therefore we have to manage.
                73

                > Yes yet I use a two wire twisted pair over one feet in lenght and I found
                > it
                > to be good if not better than coax,.

                Do you mean for the single ended output of a CMOS?

                I would consider the twisted pair between a LVDS Si570 and a FIN1002, or
                other balanced input.
                But would be surprised if that did not leak more than coax.
                It does not seem a good idea for an unbalanced connection.

                Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
              • Ray
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
                  GOOGLE "LVDS to CMOS"

                • brainerd@wildblue.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
                    Also LVDS receiver. There are a bunch of them.

                    On 2 Sep 2008 at 14:37, Ray wrote:

                    > GOOGLE "LVDS to CMOS"

                    Dave - WB6DHW
                    <http://wb6dhw.com>