RE: [softrock40] softrock lite + Xtall tuning

  • Chris Stake
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008

      Guys

      I wonder if someone could help me with a problem. I have a Softrock lite 8.3 = Xtall and it works very well. I wanted to experiment with tuning the Si570 from my pc and so I downloaded PowerSDR v1.12.0. I built an inverting interface to LPT pins 14 (/SDA) and 17 (/SCL) to the DIL socket where the PIC goes and set all the switches to open. The SCL and SDA lines  sit at 3.3 V until I turn the mouse wheel when a very plausible train of pulses appears on both. But nothing I do makes the Si570 change frequency. I have approx. 3 Meters of cable to the LPT. I have tried this on two computers and still no tuning. But all works fine when I replace the PIC and operate in dipswitch tuning mode.

      Any ideas?

      Regards

      Chris Stake

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008
        From: "Chris Stake" The SCL and SDA lines sit at 3.3
        > V until I turn the mouse wheel when a very plausible train of pulses
        > appears
        > on both. But nothing I do makes the Si570 change frequency. I have approx.
        > 3
        > Meters of cable to the LPT. I have tried this on two computers and still
        > no
        > tuning. But all works fine when I replace the PIC and operate in dipswitch
        > tuning mode.

        I have used only the DDS parallel
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/files/WB8LGA/ (DDS Si570.zip) sets
        the Si570 from 3.5MHz to 440MHz.
        If you want to try this it may give you some idea what is working, but the
        LPT pins are different.
        I have controlled a Si570 feeding the LPT signals (not the I2C signals,
        interface at far end) through over 120 feet (40m) of Ethernet cable.
        I assume you have checked that you have not got the SDA/SCL reversed.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Chris Stake
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008

          Alan,

          I’ve tried swapping SCL with SDA, makes no difference. Polarity must be ok since the SCL and SDA lines go high between data streams. As you say LPT pinout is different for this design. Just can’t see what could be wrong and have no way to analyse the I2C data.

          Chris

          > V until I turn the mouse wheel when a very plausible train of pulses
          > appears
          > on both. But nothing I do makes the Si570 change frequency. I have approx.
          > 3
          > Meters of cable to the LPT. I have tried this on two computers and still
          > no
          > tuning. But all works fine when I replace the PIC and operate in dipswitch
          > tuning mode.

          I have used only the DDS parallel
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/files/WB8LGA/ (DDS Si570.zip) sets
          the Si570 from 3.5MHz to 440MHz.
          If you want to try this it may give you some idea what is working, but the
          LPT pins are different.
          I have controlled a Si570 feeding the LPT signals (not the I2C signals,
          interface at far end) through over 120 feet (40m) of Ethernet cable.
          I assume you have checked that you have not got the SDA/SCL reversed.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • peter elms

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008

              Peter,

              Thanks for the reply maybe there’s something not right with PowerSDR v1.12.0 although others have said it works fine for them. Could it perhaps be the parallel port version setting: EPP SPP PS2 etc. I’m running Windows XP so do I need to load a kernel mode driver? I’m lost.

              Regards

              Chris Stake

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stake" <stake@...> wrote:

                Hi Chris .. Ray w7RJC here .. I am running powersdr v1.12.0 here and
                it is working VERY WELL. Here is my setup ..
                1- Parallel port connecton .. pin 1 = SDA; pin16 = SCL; pin 18-25 =
                ground. I have used as much as 4ft of cable.(now only using 20
                inches)
                2- si570 = lvds on Daves board.
                3- pin 11 as PTT with a foot peddle.

                I also used powersdr v1.12.0 with a Lite+Xtal receiver but had to
                make a cable change as such ..
                1- Parallel port connecton .. pin 14 = SDA; pin17 = SCL; pin 18-25
                = ground.
                2- si570 = lvds on Daves board.

                I struggled to get this to work also .. don't give up, the results
                are well worth the effort.
                My next dream is that someone will get it so all the freq. changing
                and band changing can be done using the USB port and powersdr
                together.

                Hope this helps Ray W7RJC

              • Knight Ao
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 3, 2008
                  Hi Chris,

                  I am using an SRLite 8.3 with Christos' PowerSDR.
                  I did not install the PIC, but just two BS170s
                  and two 10K resistors directly onto the PCB in
                  accordance with Guido's circuit (you can find
                  it in the file section titled "Si570"). I also
                  made a separate PCB equipped with BPFs and relays,
                  so it now covers all bands. It's marvelous.
                  You don't need to change DIP switch positions.

                  First, I would suggest the LPT port setting be
                  checked using Christos' LPT.exe which is in SV1EIA's
                  file folder. Run the LPT.exe and PowerSDR to make
                  sure that your LPT port is functioning OK.
                  Also, under the same folder, you can find Si570.exe
                  with which you can control the freq without running
                  PowerSDR. (Rocky/M0KGK can work with it.)

                  My OS: WinXP SP2 LPT=378

                  Since the SDA and SCL are inverted, I had a trouble
                  at the beginning. I inadvertently connected to
                  SDA/SCL positons instead of the inverted pins:
                  Pin 14 /SDA
                  Pin 17 /SCL
                  Now, it works fine.

                  I hope this would be of your reference.