Grouply

  • Bill Wright
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      Folks FYI

      I have been sent many warnings about Grouply. See below the latest warning from another list that I belong:

      "There has been a rash of messages back and forth on various Yahoo
      Groups of a new "service" called Grouply. Grouply allows you to
      supposedly manage your subscriptions to various mail lists from Yahoo
      and others but it also requires that your Yahoo name and password be
      stored and provided to Grouply, thus they have full access to all your
      Yahoo services. Other people who have subscribed to Grouply have
      reported a large increase in spam, virus and malware being transmitted
      due to it.

      While the owners of Grouply assure that there will be no problems and
      they promise to behave there is no protection against a Grouply
      employee or hacker accessing the information. It also allows Grouply
      to send invites and other spam to members of your lists, whether you
      want it or not.

      For these reasons Grouply is not allowed on this list. Do Not join
      Grouply
      under any ID's that are subscribed to this group. While this list is a
      well protected list we can not protect it against the actions of
      Grouply, therefore any Member ID that subscribes to Grouply will
      be dropped from the List".

      So use Grouply at your own risk.
      73Bill
      KD5YYK
    • JosĂ© V. Gavilá
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hello Bill,

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Wright <chief6226@...> wrote:

        > Folks FYI
        >
        > I have been sent many warnings about Grouply. See below the latest
        warning from another list that I belong:

        > "There has been a rash of messages back and forth on various Yahoo
        > Groups of a new "service" called Grouply. Grouply allows you to
        > supposedly manage your subscriptions to various mail lists from Yahoo
        > and others but it also requires that your Yahoo name and password be
        > stored and provided to Grouply, thus they have full access to all your
        > Yahoo services. Other people who have subscribed to Grouply have
        > reported a large increase in spam, virus and malware being transmitted
        > due to it.
        >
        > While the owners of Grouply assure that there will be no problems and
        > they promise to behave there is no protection against a Grouply
        > employee or hacker accessing the information. It also allows Grouply
        > to send invites and other spam to members of your lists, whether you
        > want it or not.
        >
        > For these reasons Grouply is not allowed on this list. Do Not join
        > Grouply
        > under any ID's that are subscribed to this group. While this list is a
        > well protected list we can not protect it against the actions of
        > Grouply, therefore any Member ID that subscribes to Grouply will
        > be dropped from the List".
        >
        > So use Grouply at your own risk.
        > 73Bill
        > KD5YYK

        I am the Owner and/or Moderator of several YahooGroups and have
        removed all of them from Grouply. That way, no one can access to the
        messages from there nor send anything (spamming!) to those Groups.

        You need to access to:

        http://www.grouply.com/owner_controls.php

        Click on the link at the bottom and follow instructions. You don't
        need to join Grouply for that.

        Hope this helps!

        Best regards,

        73 JOSE - EB5AGV