SDR-Kits USB controller sort of doesn't work--at least not with Rocky

  • ve3gla
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
      I built the USB si570 synthesizer from SDR-kits. I've interfaced it to
      a softrock V8.3

      It works fine with the DG8SAQ test program. However, it won't work with
      Rocky (I downloaded the latest version yesterday).

      I did check the correct "USE si570-USB" box in Rocky. THe address is
      85. I also modified the rocky.ini file and put in a list of frequencies
      in hertz. But, it just won't change frequency.

      Because it works just fine with DG8SAQ's test program, I'm pretty sure
      I've put in the USB driver correctly.

      Can anyone help me solve this problem?

      tnx es 73
      Bob VE3GLA
    • alexle188
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
        Pleae check - the i2c address should be 55. multiplier 4.

        Alex
      • tom_iphi
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
          Beware: Rocky uses decimals for the i2c address, my programs use
          hexadecimals.

          85 decimal = 55 hex

          73's Tom DG8SAQ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

          > Pleae check - the i2c address should be 55. multiplier 4.
          > >

          > Alex

        • alexle188
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
            Hi Tom,

            Good point :)

            Alex

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom_iphi" <iphi@...> wrote:

            > Beware: Rocky uses decimals for the i2c address, my programs use
            > hexadecimals.
            >
            > 85 decimal = 55 hex
            >
            > 73's Tom DG8SAQ
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Pleae check - the i2c address should be 55. multiplier 4.
            > > >

            > > Alex

          • Bob Rushby
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008

              Alex and Tom,

              Thanks for your suggestions. I'm still having problems, but I noticed something new.

              I think you're agreeing that 85 (decimal) should be used in Rocky. I had been using that address. Just in case I misunderstood, I tried 55 in Rocky and it didn't work either, so I switched back to 85.  The divider is set to 4.

              I noticed something else that may be useful. Here are the details:

              1. I first set the frequency using Tom's program. Then I shut down Tom's program.

              2. I try to change frequency using Rocky. Rocky changes frequency. This is good.

              3. I try to change frequency again using Rocky. Rocky does *not* change frequency this time.

              4. I try again. Rocky still won't change frequency.

              I have the multiband button set ON in Rocky's menu.

              This is repeatable in my setup. I hope this helps diagnose what is going on.

              Your help is very much appreciated,

              73,

              Bob VE3GLA

              > Beware: Rocky uses decimals for the i2c address, my programs use
              > hexadecimals.
              >
              > 85 decimal = 55 hex
              >
              > 73's Tom DG8SAQ
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Pleae check - the i2c address should be 55. multiplier 4.
              > > >

              > > Alex

            • alexle188
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
                Bob,

                Try clicking "Start Radio" to STOP the radio BEFORE changing bands (ie
                center freq in the multi-band mode). After changing bands, click
                "Start Radio" again to start.

                The error may be triggered by changing the center freq while the radio
                is still active.

                Alex

              • Bob Rushby
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008

                  Hi Alex,

                  I tried (1) clicking the stop button, (2) changing frequency, (3) clicking the stop button to start receiving again. It still does not change frequency. I tried this 4 or 5 times.

                  One other thing I noticed: when I try to change frequency while Rocky is *not* stopped, I hear a single, brief, "chuff" sound. Its as if Rocky is trying to change the si570 frequency, but for some reason the 570 actually does not change. This sound does not occur if I try to change frequency when Rocky is stopped.

                  73,

                  Bob VE3GLA