psdr-sr40 svn981 comments

  • cesco12342000
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
      It's working nicely ..
      i have the xtall connected over serial port and tuning is flawless.

      I would wish psdr would tune the softrock much more than it actually does.
      Every 10khz would be nicer. I hate to see parts of the spectrum "cut off"
      on one side.

      Would it be possible to use the "tune step" setting (top center of psdr
      screen) to set the tuning interval ?

      I do run psdr at 192k and i like to see a big cunk of the spectrum on both
      sides of the rx frequency.

      The other things are not related to the sr40 version, but to psdr in
      general. The audio delay from rx to speaker is absolutely terrible. No
      other sdr soft has this problem. I use a m-audio audiophile for softrock,
      mainboard soundcard for speaker.

      The psdr waterfall is so ugly it's unusable...
    • Mike Collins
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
        > I would wish psdr would tune the softrock much more than it actually
        does.
        > Every 10khz would be nicer. I hate to see parts of the spectrum "cut
        off"
        > on one side.

        > The other things are not related to the sr40 version, but to psdr in
        > general. The audio delay from rx to speaker is absolutely terrible. No
        > other sdr soft has this problem. I use a m-audio audiophile for
        softrock,
        > mainboard soundcard for speaker.

        Hi Cesco,

        To get an idea of how well (or poor) that more tuning of the center
        freq would work you can setup as you are in Softrock LPT mode (for
        serial also) and then switch to SDR-1000 mode. This will keep the
        offset from the center freq constant. It works, but is kind of rough
        tuning. Could maybe be improved with the "no click" SW added for
        small changes in freq.

        I guess the ultimate would be SDR-1000 mode (tuning always), your step
        tuning mode (tune every XX KHz), current SR40 mode (tune when near
        edge, or center; with adjustable values), or the one I like (tune only
        when at the extreme edge; with adjustable value). Everyone seems to
        have a different view on this :)

        For the audio delay: check your Buffer Size and Latency settings in
        the Audio Sound card and VAC menus. I always use 512 buffer size (for
        both primary and VAC). My primary audio card (EMU1212M), I can run
        the latency at Manual 2 ms perfectly. The VAC audio (motherboard
        RelTEK HD) I have to use Manual 32 ms for "good operation". The
        highest sample rate also helps combined with the smallest buffer size.

        Of course the filtering shape is somewhat effected by the smaller
        buffer sizes.

        73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
      • Chris Stake
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008

          Hi

          I’m trying to follow your method. I have a Softrock lite + Xtall.

          Would you please direct me to the program file for the pic and the correct pc radio program to use to tune via the serial port?

          Regards

          Chris Stake

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
            At 08:59 AM 8/22/2008, you wrote:

            >The psdr waterfall is so ugly it's unusable...

            Adjust the waterfall max and min on the setup screen

            Jerry W4UK
          • Mike Collins
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
              > I'm trying to follow your method. I have a Softrock lite + Xtall.
              >
              > Would you please direct me to the program file for the pic and the
              correct
              > pc radio program to use to tune via the serial port?

              Hi Chris,

              Cesco has all the details on his development at:
              http://hammap.smallcpu.org/softrock/rs232_683.html

              We are using the latest PowerSDR-sr40 by Guido at:
              http://downloads.sourceforge.net/powersdr-sr40/PowerSDRSetup.exe?use_mirror=osdn

              I usually replace the DIP switch with a right angle header on the
              Xtall or lite+Xtall or the V6.3 radio. I normally add In Circuit
              Programming capability at that time too. You can see the details of
              this in the file section under my call KF4BQ.

              I made a 8 pin header (2X4 pins) to connect to the radio and have the
              clamp circuit on it. I put a pict of this in the photo section for
              you: KF4BQ/RS232 Clamp circuit for 12F689 PIC.

              Have fun,

              Mike Collins KF4BQ
            • cesco12342000
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                > I'm trying to follow your method. I have a Softrock lite + Xtall.
                > Would you please direct me to the program file for the pic and the
                correct
                > pc radio program to use to tune via the serial port?

                read this:
                http://hammap.smallcpu.org/softrock/rs232_683.html

                You will have to re-program the xtall pic with the .hex file.

                To control the frequency you can use powersdr-sr40 (psdr settings are
                described), or the little dosbox program on the page.
              • cesco12342000
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                  > To get an idea of how well (or poor) that more tuning of the center
                  > freq would work you can setup as you are in Softrock LPT mode

                  Tested. sounds terrible. you are right.

                  > For the audio delay: check your Buffer Size and Latency settings in
                  > the Audio Sound card and VAC menus.

                  Yep, that did help.
                  I had maximum buffer size to minimize audio dropouts with my old soundcard.

                  73, Cesco

                  btw
                  I have a bandswitch version for the 509. But hysteresis on switching is
                  very big (from 8.5 to 9.8 mhz). needs improvement.
                • Chris Stake
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008

                    HI,

                    I should perhaps phrase my question in a more general way. I have a Softrock Lite + Xtall,  it works very well. I would like to try tuning direct from the PC via either the serial or parallel port. I made an adapter for the parallel port using a dual optocoupler for SDA and SCL but this was unsuccessful. I think the optocoupler was not fast enough.

                    Also I was not sure which version of Power SDR was correct or how to configure it.

                    I have obtained two high speed optos with 3.3V open collector outputs which I think will be better. I have also noticed the serial option and the modified pic software. Would someone who has trod this path please tell me what software I need to make this work?

                    Kind regards

                    Chris Stake

                  • Stephen M. Murphy
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                      Hi Chris,

                      Could your optos be inverting the SDA/SCL signals?  Also, does the Lite+Xtall have pull-up resistors on the SDA/SCL lines?

                      I'm using the LPT interface to control the Si570 in an RXTX V6.3, which has pull-ups (I think they were 10K) on these lines.  PowerSDR has both inverted and non-inverted outputs available on the LPT, so I chose to use these to drive the base of NPN transistors which act as inverters and level converters for the Si570. This doesn't provide the isolation that the optos would, but it is simple enough.

                      73/GL

                      Steve N8NM
                    • Chris Stake
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008

                        Hi Steve,

                        I think the signal sense is correct and I could see activity on SCL and SDA. But the rising edges were slow and the Si570 did not respond.

                        BTW I had PowerSDR v1.12.1 installed whereas the link points to v1.9.0 sr40. Is the latter a special build for compatibility with softrock?

                        Cheers

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                          > I have a bandswitch version for the 509. But hysteresis on switching is
                          > very big (from 8.5 to 9.8 mhz). needs improvement.

                          Hi Cesco,

                          I built a new 12F689 board to interface with a WB6DHW board and
                          hardware was simple (i.e. no pullups, just 5V supply and RS232 clamp
                          circuit).

                          I connected my dual 80/40M 30/20M V6.2 RX switching to a manual switch
                          for testing.

                          Rechecking the crossover I was somewhat surprised. The 30/20M had
                          better sensitivity even in the 40M band !! BTW, my 80/40M has the
                          LT6231 Opamps also installed and they both have 1K in the OpAmp
                          feedback (lower gain). The noise floor was the same on both.

                          The actual measured crossover turned out to be 6MHz !! Of course this
                          was just receive and you would want the crossover to be way above
                          7.3MHz for the TX side. At 8.5MHz the 30M/20M was 1 S unit (6dB)
                          better. At 9.8MHz the 30M/20M was 4 S units better.

                          would be to insure that it is above the 40M band so the TX circuit
                          would have the proper load (i.e. connected antenna). You may consider
                          dropping the freq from the data you have right now.

                          I have not done any wideband TX testing to see what the TX filter
                          crossover point is.

                          73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
                        • cesco12342000
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                            > I built a new 12F689

                            12f689 ?

                            > The actual measured crossover turned out to be 6MHz !!
                            > You may consider
                            > dropping the freq from the data you have right now.

                            If you have a 12f509 i can send you the soft for testing.
                            I calculate the divisor n1 * hsdiv out of the si570 registers and compare
                            it to the divisor of the crossover point. Crossover range is easy to
                            modify.

                            Btw i'm chasing spurs on my setup ... not easy to find out where they come
                            from. Maybe having the radio on a overclocked quad-core PC always at full
                            load for seti@home is not a good idea...
                          • Mike Collins
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                              > 12f689 ?

                              > I calculate the divisor n1 * hsdiv out of the si570 registers and
                              compare
                              > it to the divisor of the crossover point. Crossover range is easy to
                              > modify.
                              >
                              > Btw i'm chasing spurs on my setup

                              Hi Cesco,

                              Oops on the PIC, should be 12F683. My comment on that was that I was
                              using the internal weak pullups that default to enabled on POR (WPU
                              register). This lets you have just the PIC and the RS232 clamp
                              circuit for a working setup to the WB6DHW board.

                              Only problem with using the registers is that you are assuming a 4X
                              radio multiplier in the code (set in PowerSDR but not visible in the
                              register data).

                              I don't have many spurs, but my whole ham shack has 100's of ferrite
                              cores spread around the cabling. I'm running a couple of machines
                              with core2's running at 3.3GHz.

                              73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
                            • Stephen M. Murphy

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                                  Do the spurs change with frequency?  The CMOS version does have a problem with spur generation.

                                  Bill wa9pwr

                                  cesco12342000 wrote:
                                  I built a new 12F689

                                  12f689 ?

                                  The actual measured crossover turned out to be 6MHz !!
                                  You may consider
                                  dropping the freq from the data you have right now.

                                  If you have a 12f509 i can send you the soft for testing.
                                  I calculate the divisor n1 * hsdiv out of the si570 registers and compare
                                  it to the divisor of the crossover point. Crossover range is easy to
                                  modify.

                                  Btw i'm chasing spurs on my setup ... not easy to find out where they come
                                  from. Maybe having the radio on a overclocked quad-core PC always at full
                                  load for seti@home is not a good idea...

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • cesco12342000
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                                    >The CMOS version does have a problem with spur generation.

                                    Tnx for the hint.

                                    I have tried the crystal rx6.1, and there are no such spurs there, except
                                    for the soundcard ones. The soundcard ones are always on the same places
                                    in the display, regardless of frequency.

                                    The new spurs are different with each frequency (its another rx6.1 with
                                    xtall board). But it could also be the unshielded rs232 connection to the
                                    PC. I dont remember having seen this spurs with the genuine xtall board.
                                  • Bill Dumke
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                                      With an 114.285 MHz internal crystal in the CMOS Si570 you will spurs which are the difference between that frequency and the nearest integer multiple of the SoftRock HF center operating frequency.  The spurs for the higher frequency HF bands should be worse, since there will be more energy in the multiple near 114.285 MHz.

                                      The LVDS Si570 spurs, if any are visible, will be much lower in level.

                                      See my earlier post on this with subject "Si570 Spurs".

                                      Bill wa9pwr

                                      cesco12342000 wrote:
                                      The CMOS version does have a problem with spur generation.

                                      Tnx for the hint.

                                      I have tried the crystal rx6.1, and there are no such spurs there, except
                                      for the soundcard ones. The soundcard ones are always on the same places
                                      in the display, regardless of frequency.

                                      The new spurs are different with each frequency (its another rx6.1 with
                                      xtall board). But it could also be the unshielded rs232 connection to the
                                      PC. I dont remember having seen this spurs with the genuine xtall board.

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • w7rjc
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                                        Hi All,

                                        I also am using Christos veresion of PowerSDR and I can not say enough
                                        about how well it works and about all it does. I am using it to
                                        control my multiband RxTx (4 board 2 band RxTx's . Works very well in
                                        controling the Si570 freq., switching bands (boards) and even a foot
                                        peddle PTT.
                                        Many thanks to Christos and his programming of the PowerSDR
                                        programing. Ray W7RJC
                                      • cesco12342000
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 22, 2008
                                          Those spurs must have been somthing external. 02:00 local time they are
                                          gone. I had the ant disconnected, maybe this was a TV set making some
                                          noise on the powerline ?
                                        • Chris Stake
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 23, 2008

                                            Thanks Steve,

                                            I’ve downloaded that software and built my new fast opto adaptor. I noticed that there is a change to the the LPT pin assignation and so now my signals are derived from the /SDA line on pin14 and /SCL on pin17. Everything looks fine, the signal edges look sharp and both lines sit at 3.3V until I move the mouse wheel when I see a train of pulses on both. But the Si570 still does not change frequency. I know it’s not broken because It still works fine in Xtall mode with the PIC in the socket. I must be getting close now but unless I’m suffering from brain fade or I’ve got SCL and SDA confused I can’t see what could be wrong now. I’ll sleep on it but I’ll be grateful for any guidance.

                                            Kind regards

                                            Chris Stake

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008

                                              Guys

                                              I wonder if someone could help me with a problem. I have a Softrock lite 8.3 = Xtall and it works very well. I wanted to experiment with tuning the Si570 from my pc and so I downloaded PowerSDR v1.12.0. I built an inverting interface to LPT pins 14 (/SDA) and 17 (/SCL) to the DIL socket where the PIC goes and set all the switches to open. The SCL and SDA lines  sit at 3.3 V until I turn the mouse wheel when a very plausible train of pulses appears on both. But nothing I do makes the Si570 change frequency. I have approx. 3 Meters of cable to the LPT. I have tried this on two computers and still no tuning. But all works fine when I replace the PIC and operate in dipswitch tuning mode.

                                              Any ideas?

                                              Regards

                                              Chris Stake

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008

                                                  Alan,

                                                  I’ve tried swapping SCL with SDA, makes no difference. Polarity must be ok since the SCL and SDA lines go high between data streams. As you say LPT pinout is different for this design. Just can’t see what could be wrong and have no way to analyse the I2C data.

                                                  Chris

                                                  > V until I turn the mouse wheel when a very plausible train of pulses
                                                  > appears
                                                  > on both. But nothing I do makes the Si570 change frequency. I have approx.
                                                  > 3
                                                  > Meters of cable to the LPT. I have tried this on two computers and still
                                                  > no
                                                  > tuning. But all works fine when I replace the PIC and operate in dipswitch
                                                  > tuning mode.

                                                  I have used only the DDS parallel
                                                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/files/WB8LGA/ (DDS Si570.zip) sets
                                                  the Si570 from 3.5MHz to 440MHz.
                                                  If you want to try this it may give you some idea what is working, but the
                                                  LPT pins are different.
                                                  I have controlled a Si570 feeding the LPT signals (not the I2C signals,
                                                  interface at far end) through over 120 feet (40m) of Ethernet cable.
                                                  I assume you have checked that you have not got the SDA/SCL reversed.

                                                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                                • peter elms

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008

                                                      Peter,

                                                      Thanks for the reply maybe there’s something not right with PowerSDR v1.12.0 although others have said it works fine for them. Could it perhaps be the parallel port version setting: EPP SPP PS2 etc. I’m running Windows XP so do I need to load a kernel mode driver? I’m lost.

                                                      Regards

                                                      Chris Stake

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 2, 2008
                                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stake" <stake@...> wrote:

                                                        Hi Chris .. Ray w7RJC here .. I am running powersdr v1.12.0 here and
                                                        it is working VERY WELL. Here is my setup ..
                                                        1- Parallel port connecton .. pin 1 = SDA; pin16 = SCL; pin 18-25 =
                                                        ground. I have used as much as 4ft of cable.(now only using 20
                                                        inches)
                                                        2- si570 = lvds on Daves board.
                                                        3- pin 11 as PTT with a foot peddle.

                                                        I also used powersdr v1.12.0 with a Lite+Xtal receiver but had to
                                                        make a cable change as such ..
                                                        1- Parallel port connecton .. pin 14 = SDA; pin17 = SCL; pin 18-25
                                                        = ground.
                                                        2- si570 = lvds on Daves board.

                                                        I struggled to get this to work also .. don't give up, the results
                                                        are well worth the effort.
                                                        My next dream is that someone will get it so all the freq. changing
                                                        and band changing can be done using the USB port and powersdr
                                                        together.

                                                        Hope this helps Ray W7RJC

                                                      • Knight Ao
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 3, 2008
                                                          Hi Chris,

                                                          I am using an SRLite 8.3 with Christos' PowerSDR.
                                                          I did not install the PIC, but just two BS170s
                                                          and two 10K resistors directly onto the PCB in
                                                          accordance with Guido's circuit (you can find
                                                          it in the file section titled "Si570"). I also
                                                          made a separate PCB equipped with BPFs and relays,
                                                          so it now covers all bands. It's marvelous.
                                                          You don't need to change DIP switch positions.

                                                          First, I would suggest the LPT port setting be
                                                          checked using Christos' LPT.exe which is in SV1EIA's
                                                          file folder. Run the LPT.exe and PowerSDR to make
                                                          sure that your LPT port is functioning OK.
                                                          Also, under the same folder, you can find Si570.exe
                                                          with which you can control the freq without running
                                                          PowerSDR. (Rocky/M0KGK can work with it.)

                                                          My OS: WinXP SP2 LPT=378

                                                          Since the SDA and SCL are inverted, I had a trouble
                                                          at the beginning. I inadvertently connected to
                                                          SDA/SCL positons instead of the inverted pins:
                                                          Pin 14 /SDA
                                                          Pin 17 /SCL
                                                          Now, it works fine.

                                                          I hope this would be of your reference.