SR-5 Two Questions.

  • Jevin Maltais
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006
      Hi!

      1) For the Ant in and out. Do we just connect the antenna ground to
      the out and the core to the in on the QSD board?

      2) From the PDF: "When mounting a crystal in the X21 location make
      sure conductive portions of the crystal case do not short between the
      pads in the crystal mounting location. The crystal pad arrangement is
      such that a number of SMT style crystals may be mounted as well as
      leaded crystals. A ground via is provided to solder a wire between the
      crystal case and ground for a HC49 type crystal. This will keep the
      crystal case slightly above the crystal pads to prevent the crystal
      case from shorting out the pads."

      So it sounds like nothing should be touching the conductive pads but
      it should be just bent over. Then attach a wire from the case of the
      crystal to the hole at the opposite end of the X21 space. Right?
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006
        Hi Jevin,

        I will insert answers below.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        > 1) For the Ant in and out. Do we just connect the antenna ground to
        > the out and the core to the in on the QSD board? Pin 15 of J1 on the QSD
        > board is at a via near J1. That is the 50 ohm antenna input. The antenna
        > ground is the next via over and connects to pin 14 of J1.
        >
        > 2) From the PDF: "When mounting a crystal in the X21 location make
        > sure conductive portions of the crystal case do not short between the
        > pads in the crystal mounting location. The crystal pad arrangement is
        > such that a number of SMT style crystals may be mounted as well as
        > leaded crystals. A ground via is provided to solder a wire between the
        > crystal case and ground for a HC49 type crystal. This will keep the
        > crystal case slightly above the crystal pads to prevent the crystal
        > case from shorting out the pads."
        >
        > So it sounds like nothing should be touching the conductive pads but
        > it should be just bent over. Then attach a wire from the case of the
        > crystal to the hole at the opposite end of the X21 space. Right?

        That is right. The larger xtal pad is ground and there is a via for a bus
        wire connection
        to the HC49 xtal case at the far end of the xtal. This will hold the xtal
        in place.