Re: [softrock40] Re: Interference from PC?

  • KY1K
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 18, 2005
      Frank and the group.

      Until recently, the sound card has been thought of as a secondary
      accessory. By that I mean it plays the windows warning sound, or an
      mp3 or wav file and allows one to listen to sound effects when
      playing computer games.....

      Only recently has anyone though of using it for serious work,
      although there are a few exceptions.

      Even on todays best sound cards, there is no shielding despite having
      16 bit sensitivity on the inputs and being mounted inside a big noise
      generator, esp[ecially bad for magnetic interference.

      Nothing surprises me when it comes to sound cards, they use dimestore
      time bases and are far from what they could/should be.

      However, they're cheap and plentiful and give us a taste of what we
      can do when better sound cards become more common place.

      Regards,

      Art

      >The soundcard is one of the most vulnerable spots for letting in
      >spurious signals.

    • Bob Hillard
      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 29, 2005
        Rein,

        When I operate on the low bands (40M thru 160M) I have to turn off my
        PC's. In fact I sometimes have had to unplug them completely, as the
        power supply isn't completely off when the On/Off switch is in the Off
        position.

        I found the problem to be caused by the computer's switching power
        supply. In fact I lost a power supply in one of my computers recenly,
        and replaced it with a better grade supply, and then was happy to find
        that the noise from that computer was gone.

        Try unplugging your computer completely and see if that quiets things
        down.

        Bob WA6UFQ