Re: SR40 performance and musings...

  • Bruce Beford
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
      Good thoughts, Stan.

      I agree, the performance of this little rcvr is surprising,
      considering the simplicity of the hardware. The filtering provided by
      the software makes for a real powerful set of tools.

      I have been listening to my SoftRock-80 here. covering a range of
      about 3.555-3.600 Mhz using a 14.318 crystal in the LO, and my
      redesigned front-end filter. It's working great. I can pull some
      pretty weak stations out fairly close to the S9+25dB signal of W1AW
      code practice here in NH. The Thirty meter version works great too. I
      am also using a seperate source of power from the computer.

      I have been doing too much experimenting to get the receivers into
      permanent cases yet, but I know that will only improve something that
      already works remarkably well. In time....

      I have already determined the values for a 20m front end. Just need to
      decide on a method to get the LO on about 56.200 Mhz.... It may be
      hard to find a fundamental-mode crystal for that freq. Maybe a 3rd
      overtone oscillator mounted on a plug-in that includes the new front-
      end filtering.........

      I'd love to hear back from others who have done the 30m mod using the
      crystals I have provided.

      73, Bruce N1RX