Re: [Flexradio] Software development with C#

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
      That's the feeling I was getting, that is not a simple setup a
      project and recompile. There is so much more to a programming
      environment, all the libraries would have to be compatible or your
      dead in the water.

      I was wondering, I went to the icSharpDevelop site and I got the
      impression that the software is only a IDE for the MS C# compiler, so
      you would still have to have the MS software anyway. Is that correct
      or will it work with it's own or other C# compilers.

      They have a evaluation version of MS C# has anyone succeeded in
      compiling the Flex software with that free software?

      Is anyone using the Borland C#Builder environment? I like Delphi and
      you get C# included so It would not be so bad to upgrade. My son is
      going to the local University so a student copy would also be
      reasonable in term of $$

      I would imagine it's going to be like everything else MS C#,
      C#Builder, Mono, or Grasshopper all would be fine for a new software
      project but to convert a project from another environment would be a
      lot of work.

      Lissssp anyone? :-P

    • Frank Brickle
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
        KD5NWA wrote:

        > Lissssp anyone? :-P

        Don't I wish.

        All you need to be convinced is to see the edifice that Bill Schottaedt
        of CCRMA has built around CLM, CMN, and snd to see the value of that
        kind of programming environment. His stuff works across all the current
        Lisps. He doesn't consign you to using Lisp, either. You can leverage
        his work in C, guile, Ruby...pretty astonishing.

        One of the reasons we're rolling much of the effort over into Python is
        the extent to which that platform provides much of what you'd like to
        have from Lisp, except the programmable syntax. It wouldn't be
        surprising if the same considerations weighed heavily in the choice of
        Python as the medium for gnuradio.

        73
        Frank
        AB2KT
      • Frank Brickle
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
          Philip Covington wrote:

          > ...a big update to jDttSP
          > along with a GUI very soon on Linux. I think it is a collaboration
          > between Bob Cowdery, Bob McGwier, and Frank Brickle so I am sure one
          > of them can tell you more.

          That's right. Now that we're past the official fork between the Linux
          and Windows versions, the complete Linux environment is crystallizing
          fast. Bob G3UKB has done heroic work in building the console and remoted
          control environment. The debugging is mostly a question of ironing out
          version inconsistencies between various supporting software chunks.

          The main outstanding question right now is how to provide a complete
          system for the early adopters that won't have them tearing their hair
          out over massive installation requirements and dependency problems. This
          is a non-trivial issue and difficult to solve without forcing everybody
          to the same Linux distro, release, and supplementary libraries. Nothing
          conclusive yet.

          N4HY and I are down for the count right now with AMSAT and other
          commitments, but we will be concentrating on the Linux release again
          during the coming week.

          73
          Frank
          AB2KT