Bye Bye Birdies- Spurs

  • joe price
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      By replacing the DDS (AD9854)in my Flex clone with the SI570
      gone are the annoying DDS spurs. Tony's new divider clock
      circuit was used as the interface.
      This was made possible by the modified Power SDR code by
      Christos SV1EIA with smooth tuning. This code now also stores both
      transmit and receive image rejection data for each band separately
      another big improvement. If you plan on using SSB or AM modes take a
      look at the modified Power SDR by Christos.

      Joe wa9cgz
    • k5nwa
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        At 02:27 PM 8/1/2008, you wrote:
        >By replacing the DDS (AD9854)in my Flex clone with the SI570
        >gone are the annoying DDS spurs. Tony's new divider clock
        >circuit was used as the interface.
        > This was made possible by the modified Power SDR code by
        >Christos SV1EIA with smooth tuning. This code now also stores both
        >transmit and receive image rejection data for each band separately
        >another big improvement. If you plan on using SSB or AM modes take a
        >look at the modified Power SDR by Christos.
        >
        >Joe wa9cgz

        Getting rid of spurs, priceless!

        Good going, my SDR-1000 just ran out of warranty, that looks like a
        worthwhile mod.specially on 10M and 6M the spurs drive you crazy.

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
          [Sorry for the Off-Topic]

          Cecil,

          I got a version of PowerSDR for SDR-1000 specifically for this type of
          experimentation. If a SDR1K user wants to replace AD9854 with a Si570
          by leaving untouched all other PowerSDR functions and the LPT mux the
          same.
          Joe is the first that has this one.

          73
          Christos SV1EIA

          If you feel like experimenting
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

          > At 02:27 PM 8/1/2008, you wrote:
          > >By replacing the DDS (AD9854)in my Flex clone with the SI570
          > >gone are the annoying DDS spurs. Tony's new divider clock
          > >circuit was used as the interface.
          > > This was made possible by the modified Power SDR code by
          > >Christos SV1EIA with smooth tuning. This code now also stores both
          > >transmit and receive image rejection data for each band separately
          > >another big improvement. If you plan on using SSB or AM modes take a
          > >look at the modified Power SDR by Christos.
          > >
          > >Joe wa9cgz
          >
          > Getting rid of spurs, priceless!
          >
          > Good going, my SDR-1000 just ran out of warranty, that looks like a
          > worthwhile mod.specially on 10M and 6M the spurs drive you crazy.
          >

          > Cecil
          > K5NWA
          > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
          >
          > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

        • Brian Lloyd
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            On Aug 1, 2008, at 12:45 PM, k5nwa wrote:

            > At 02:27 PM 8/1/2008, you wrote:
            > >By replacing the DDS (AD9854)in my Flex clone with the SI570
            > >gone are the annoying DDS spurs. Tony's new divider clock
            > >circuit was used as the interface.
            > > This was made possible by the modified Power SDR code by
            > >Christos SV1EIA with smooth tuning. This code now also stores both
            > >transmit and receive image rejection data for each band separately
            > >another big improvement. If you plan on using SSB or AM modes take a
            > >look at the modified Power SDR by Christos.
            > >
            > >Joe wa9cgz
            >
            > Getting rid of spurs, priceless!
            >
            > Good going, my SDR-1000 just ran out of warranty, that looks like a
            > worthwhile mod.specially on 10M and 6M the spurs drive you crazy.

            I know. That is an extremely annoying 'feature' of the Flex 5000 too.
            A *LOT* more birdies and spurs than I ever imagined would be there.

            Is the phase noise in the 570 as good as the DDS?

            --

            73 de Brian, WB6RQN
            Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
              All of the oscillators in the ICOM IC7000 are DDS based, I believe the
              AD9951. Has anyone noticed spurs in this set?

              Mike N2MS

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Michael St. Angelo"
                <mstangelo@...> wrote:

                > All of the oscillators in the ICOM IC7000 are DDS based, I believe
                the
                > AD9951. Has anyone noticed spurs in this set?
                >
                > Mike N2MS

                I built the 995x project by Dave WB6DHW. It's much cleaner than the
                8954 however he now has a 9912 board working. Since I don't have
                this board or any SDR software to support it I don't know about the
                spurs.
                On the phase noise question I used the LVDS version of the SI570.
                I can't measure it but the receiver looks and sounds good.
                In another post the phase noise issue may have been addressed.
                Because of the clock divider (divide by 4) the 74 chips must be
                able to function at 120mhz the 74AC will just make this.
                My flex clone will not work on 6mtrs. The smaller QFN series may
                work of at 200mhz. These are what WB6DHW uses on the 995x project.

                Joe wa9cgz
              • k5nwa
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
                  At 03:35 PM 8/1/2008, you wrote:
                  >[Sorry for the Off-Topic]
                  >
                  >Cecil,
                  >
                  >I got a version of PowerSDR for SDR-1000 specifically for this type of
                  >experimentation. If a SDR1K user wants to replace AD9854 with a Si570
                  >by leaving untouched all other PowerSDR functions and the LPT mux the
                  >same.
                  >Joe is the first that has this one.
                  >
                  >73
                  >Christos SV1EIA

                  I will be looking into it later, I have too many projects going on
                  right now. The SDR 1000 I own makes me unhappy with the number of
                  spurs at the upper bands, I would be really nice to replace the
                  current DDS with a LVDS SI570 and get rid of most spurs.